No announcement yet.

difference between IHRA and NHRA ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

awesome track and on a perfect night you can be "below" sea level...tree's and large wooded area's..just awesome.
    when you see everybody breaking out by 2 tenths you know the time is right to go your quickest and fastest pass...magic air we would call it.
    but.....
    Dick, the owner has never cared for bikes but NHRA makes him allow them.
    on bracket night they never was treated fairly and sense i quit going in the mid 2000's he has lost all of his "regular" racers.
    most have moved to kilkare in xenia ohio which has No tree's and very little shut down but they do have a large bike turn out that is treated very well if you can deal with the heat and sun burn.
    and...if you can get stopped at the end

Comment

I have the original Cone Carb set that Byron ran on their Kawasaki, that was originally a Muzzy ELR Superbike! Just can't figure out how to upload the pic in this NEW format!
      Ray.

Comment

I found a track closer to me in Texas. Its in Denton,TX. The original one I drove by getting here is closed. The new one is NorthStar. Its only an 1/8 mile but it seems to be popular. They were open for the last test and tune the 2nd week of December. Looking forward to the season all by my lonesome down here. But the weather will be better...
        Curt
        sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

Speaking of carbs. I bought a set off Sid Pogue once. Remember him? It was a set of amal's. I put them on a 1103 street bike. I checked the jetting and it was perfect. Scared the hell out of me when I took them apart. Biggest mess of drilling and the like I had ever seen. Those carbs were hand polished inside all the way through. They even Idled perfectly.

I got to scan some pics and get a few on here. I had a large cube and often pulled a extra trailer for someone else. Anyone remember Bobby Baker, Rusty Quisenberry, Steve Tracy(Advanced Plating) or I am sure Larry McBride? I often had complete bikes or parts for all of those with me. Carolina Cycle(Kim Barringer) sponsored me and all of those. I also ran pro mod, not funny bike. Pro mod was bad enough.

For you Ohio guys. Kim was really good friends with a guy that ran S&K racing. I remember being at Memphis and he had a horrible fall once. What happened to him?

As far as MRE. I knew Murdock before he died and was good friends with the new owner. We nicknamed him Jaco. Long story. He tried to keep my 3 speeds in order. Orient Express sold junk. A few years before I quit I purchased a tranny like was ran on the Mr. Turbo funny bike. Which had collars instead of forks. What was his name? Hoffmiester? I went to his shop in Chicago once to pick up Bobby Bakers new funny bike chassis. Bobby tried to go alcohol at the last much like him. I also treasured my personal relationship with Elmer Trett. In honesty I met all them and worked with all through Kim. At times looking back I often think what my bank account would look like now if I had not gotten involved. It was GOOD times though.

But I am told when you die all you take with you is memories and those are your last thoughts.......I made a good investment then.

As a last race moment. I found a few pics of being in Columbus 1989 with a newly built FJ Yamaha. Kosman chassis. 1380 with a GOOD titanium valve engine. Through a connection I had some billet 2nd gears made. I was worried about it running top gas with was a 8.20 index. We had only did some shake downs in a 1/8th mile but knew it was strong. 5.20 was the 1/8th mile index I think and I know first pass it went a 4.99. We ran low 7.90's with no nitrous. If one has any memory they may remember that bike. I ran a Bill Hahn magneto on it. I had a special two step box made for it. Plus another FYI. Bill Hahn developed one of the first motorcycle turbo systems while working in Winston Salem NC at a company named Todd Controls. He perfected it and moved to California. He opened American Turbo-Pak.............I worked with him and learned a lot as he built those.

Long winded........sorry for the trip down memory lane.
          Last edited by Guest; 01-12-2015, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Interesting reading...No apology necessary.
            Curt

Comment

I can't quit. I assume many of you older guys remember when there was a super stock class ran by IDBA which ran off national records. I met George Bryce (Star Racing) in 1976 running a 76 LTD 900 ....he had the national record with it. I liked George but man was he full of himself back then.....talk more sh*t than you could absorb.....

He honestly surprised me at how good he became.

Comment

Chris, Scott Barger still owns S&K.
                Ray.

Comment

scott's still doing heads.
                  i have a few of the BHP mags and the same amount of the wyotech 2 step boxes for them.
                  we was in mephis running top gas at IDBA when scott went through the traps and never slowed down till he went off the track.
                  not a pretty site...not at all.
                  i believe they care flighted him out.

Comment

I can't tell you how much I love hearing about the yesteryear who 's who and who did what and where in dragbiking... don't apologize carry on! look where ED Grothus is now with Brunson his son - another Davenport, IA success story!

Curt I showed you the basics of how to be a index/bracket winner - you already had the courage and riding talent- just please check that rear tire pressure BEFORE every pass ok?

good luck in TX. take pictures and let us know when you get to the winner circle!
                    SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                      scott's still doing heads.
                      i have a few of the BHP mags and the same amount of the wyotech 2 step boxes for them.
                      we was in mephis running top gas at IDBA when scott went through the traps and never slowed down till he went off the track.
                      not a pretty site...not at all.
                      i believe they care flighted him out.
                      I went one year and was not running....I want to think that was the year I went just helping someone. If I remember correctly his throttle hung. Glad to hear he is doing OK. Probably been 20 years since I saw him.

Comment

here is my top gas bike we was racing in IDBA 1992 when Scott had his accident in memphis.
                        this is from national trails though.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Trip... Will get a accurate pressure gauge and new tire for this new season...Its going to be 60 on Sunday. Hope to take the ZRX out for a ride... Stay busy and figure out that Cal-Fab swingarm issue! Talk soon.
                          Curt

Comment

I've been going through my old race pictures. I'm going to see if I can get them digitally scanned so they'll post a little better. Here is a nice looking old school Drag Bike. I think its from Atco around 86... (not mine)
                            Attached Files
                            My Motorcycles:
                            22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                            22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                            82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                            81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                            79 1000e (all original)
                            82 850g (all original)
                            80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

image.jpg
                              Originally posted by cbxchris View Post
                              Speaking of carbs. I bought a set off Sid Pogue once. Remember him? It was a set of amal's. I put them on a 1103 street bike. I checked the jetting and it was perfect. Scared the hell out of me when I took them apart. Biggest mess of drilling and the like I had ever seen. Those carbs were hand polished inside all the way through. They even Idled perfectly.

I got to scan some pics and get a few on here. I had a large cube and often pulled a extra trailer for someone else. Anyone remember Bobby Baker, Rusty Quisenberry, Steve Tracy(Advanced Plating) or I am sure Larry McBride? I often had complete bikes or parts for all of those with me. Carolina Cycle(Kim Barringer) sponsored me and all of those. I also ran pro mod, not funny bike. Pro mod was bad enough.

For you Ohio guys. Kim was really good friends with a guy that ran S&K racing. I remember being at Memphis and he had a horrible fall once. What happened to him?

As far as MRE. I knew Murdock before he died and was good friends with the new owner. We nicknamed him Jaco. Long story. He tried to keep my 3 speeds in order. Orient Express sold junk. A few years before I quit I purchased a tranny like was ran on the Mr. Turbo funny bike. Which had collars instead of forks. What was his name? Hoffmiester? I went to his shop in Chicago once to pick up Bobby Bakers new funny bike chassis. Bobby tried to go alcohol at the last much like him. I also treasured my personal relationship with Elmer Trett. In honesty I met all them and worked with all through Kim. At times looking back I often think what my bank account would look like now if I had not gotten involved. It was GOOD times though.

But I am told when you die all you take with you is memories and those are your last thoughts.......I made a good investment then.

As a last race moment. I found a few pics of being in Columbus 1989 with a newly built FJ Yamaha. Kosman chassis. 1380 with a GOOD titanium valve engine. Through a connection I had some billet 2nd gears made. I was worried about it running top gas with was a 8.20 index. We had only did some shake downs in a 1/8th mile but knew it was strong. 5.20 was the 1/8th mile index I think and I know first pass it went a 4.99. We ran low 7.90's with no nitrous. If one has any memory they may remember that bike. I ran a Bill Hahn magneto on it. I had a special two step box made for it. Plus another FYI. Bill Hahn developed one of the first motorcycle turbo systems while working in Winston Salem NC at a company named Todd Controls. He perfected it and moved to California. He opened American Turbo-Pak.............I worked with him and learned a lot as he built those.

Long winded........sorry for the trip down memory lane.
                              Chris,
                              I wonder if we have met before as we know or knew a lot of the same people. I used to run Pro Street back in the days you mentioned. Do you remember the old "Dragbike" series. I started racing in the early 1980's. Now I just bracket race it just got to expensive to compete in the pro classes for me.
                              It's a new pic but the number plate is the same number plate I ran in the old "Dragbike" series in the 80's on my 83 CB1100F that I ran I pro street
                              My stable
                              84 GSX1100EFG-10.62 @ 125 mph 64'' W/B.
                              85 GS1150-9.72@146mph stock W/B.
                              88 GSXR1100-dragbike 9.18@139.92mph/5.68@118mph.
                              98 Bandit 1200-9.38@146mph/6.02@121mph.
                              90 Suzuki GS 1425cc FBG Pro Stock chassis 5.42@124mph
                              06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph
                              00 Honda elite 80 pit bike

Comment

Originally posted by stetracer View Post
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]37904[/ATTACH]

Chris,
                                I wonder if we have met before as we know or knew a lot of the same people. I used to run Pro Street back in the days you mentioned. Do you remember the old "Dragbike" series. I started racing in the early 1980's. Now I just bracket race it just got to expensive to compete in the pro classes for me.
                                It's a new pic but the number plate is the same number plate I ran in the old "Dragbike" series in the 80's on my 83 CB1100F that I ran I pro street
                                I ran exactly one AMA Dragbike race in Darlington SC. All others were IDBA or Prostar. I did run a outlaw race series that had the top class set at 7.60 index off pro tree in a quarter mile. It ran at Rockingham and several other places on the east coast. We killed them on that.

Comment

Working...
                                X