A GR650 Overhual!... And Improvement!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Header fabbed!!!

So i finally got around to fabbing up the custom header for my 2 to 1 exhaust I want to run on this bike. I cut a piece of stainless piping from a LO down pipe I had off a wrx. It has an 02 bung on it which may prove helpful down the road if and when I convert to Fuel injection on this guy. It was kinda a tricky thing to do. I used the stock header pipes cut them at an angle so they would meet then added the down pipe to exit where I wanted. Tac welded the bits to where I wanted them and then made a few welds to hold the pipe in place... ONce the exhaust was set I pulled it off the bike and finished welding.

With it off the bike I was able to weld the pipe completely together... Man I hate my booger welds (yes go ahead tell me how much it sucks) But it's fabbed together, solid and secure. I'll be wrapping the header pipe and I need to decide what type of exhaust I want to run... I have a little more welding to get it to my liking then the exhaust wrap will go on and she will be put back on the bike!!!

Nice to see it together! I was pretty impressed with my self...

I also wired in the ignition circuit and will be installing the rest of the harness tomorrow. I also am ordering brand new tires front and rear, a new tail light assembly and a new stainless brake line for the front. Hoping to have her back on the road by next weekend!!!

Thanks for you indulgence!
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

So I've ordered all the parts I need to get the bike MOVING. I intend on continuing this thread but the bike will be a ridden machine! Parts that are coming for install:
      1. GS750 leading axle forks with twin caliper brackets (I'd like my bike to ride as smooth as my old 750L)
      2. LED front turn signals
      3. Rear solid LED brake light with integrated turn signals LEDs
      4. LED Adjustable turn signal relay
      5. Rotor for the right side
      6. Front tire
      7. Extended mirrors
      8. Exhaust wrap for the new headers

Loads of pics to come!!! Can't wait to get my twin back on the road!
      Jedz Moto
      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
      1988 Honda GL1500-6
      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Buttoned up allot, Everything is all connected... Just need to finish up the exhaust and swap the front fork and tire. It's looking soo good!

Jedz Moto
        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
        1988 Honda GL1500-6
        2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

hey, cmon. the suspense is hurting...you've hadaweek fer pitys-sake...jus kidding -do the good job you are doing!

Comment

Done!

For now anyway... She had a fall today when I got it out and all polished up... Broke the clutch lever (second one to break in the last 6 months from a fall) and scratched the paint... UGH But here's it is. Going to have to wait to order new parts for it. The GR project well has been running dry. All set finally... Till I get a new firckin' clutch lever. Did take it out for about 10 miles... Runs great and sounds awesome!

Picture:

Better shoot to come once I get more time, I was on this thing for 5 hours today to wrap it up and had to go straight to work...

Video:
            Jedz Moto
            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
            1988 Honda GL1500-6
            2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Looks great, sounds great, idle is smoooooth! I love the choppy twin sound coming from a bike that can be made to handle pretty darn well!

A fella on DoTheTon named the Tempter as the " If I had to have only one single bike to handle all of my riding requirements" nomination! I can't wait to tear into this GS425 I have late this year. If I'm lucky, I can get it on the road this year & maybe do a swingarm swap & gs1000 wheel swap (3.50&50x18 rims), & get some megacycle cams, CP-Carillo pistons, &;head work done by Rapid Ray over the next winter... Going for 502 or 516cc's & 10.5:1. The guy on DTT was saying I should just go with a Tempter for the great engine, more power, monoshock, & very excellent frame design... I agreed on those points, but the twin shock look & kick start roller bearing engine is very appealing for me still.
              '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
              '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
              '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
              '79 GS425stock
              PROJECTS:
              '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
              '77 GS550 740cc major mods
              '77 GS400 489cc racer build
              '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
              '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck78 View Post
                Looks great, sounds great, idle is smoooooth! I love the choppy twin sound coming from a bike that can be made to handle pretty darn well!

A fella on DoTheTon named the Tempter as the " If I had to have only one single bike to handle all of my riding requirements" nomination! I can't wait to tear into this GS425 I have late this year. If I'm lucky, I can get it on the road this year & maybe do a swingarm swap & gs1000 wheel swap (3.50&50x18 rims), & get some megacycle cams, CP-Carillo pistons, &;head work done by Rapid Ray over the next winter... Going for 502 or 516cc's & 10.5:1. The guy on DTT was saying I should just go with a Tempter for the great engine, more power, monoshock, & very excellent frame design... I agreed on those points, but the twin shock look & kick start roller bearing engine is very appealing for me still.
                Chuck
                The R6 shock made a HUGE difference in handling, The plush/soft ride is now gone but it's not too hard either. The bike dropped a couple inches which helps with the stance. Handles very well... The 35mm front fork are ok I'll be swapping to the stiffer 79 GS750E Forks I have once I go to a twin disc setup. But because of budget that will be held off for a couple more months. IT's rideable which is where I wanted it.
                Sound like you got a good plan on the 425. I WISH I had the kick start on the GR650. I dropped allot of weight by making my own 2 to 1 manifold and mid/muffler pipe. Doesn't interfere with hard turns so might be a good idea for you as well... Dropped the center stand and the passenger pegs, it's real real light. The stock shock was a beast too...
                Jedz Moto
                1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

that is a super idle. You must have it tuned pretty well but even then I wonder if the counterbalance(?) weight I've read about on these bikes tosses it through like a heavy flywheel engine because I can't imagine that slow ever working on my bikes.
                  somewhere I've read online that counterweight "disappears" after 60mph and the bike gets vibration then per higher rpm - I'd be really interested if you find it so.

Comment

Years agooooooo
                    1984 to be exact
                    I was touring around htre country at night
                    defeaning myself listening to Genesis
                    met a guy on a gr 650 that I knew
                    he wanted to try her
                    his rationale that he had 100 cc Per the badge in displacement and could kick my ass
                    now admittedly the 550 has 572 so it aint quite fair
                    also a markedly higher potential rate of impulse
                    anyhoo
                    blew the bastard away

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                      that is a super idle. You must have it tuned pretty well but even then I wonder if the counterbalance(?) weight I've read about on these bikes tosses it through like a heavy flywheel engine because I can't imagine that slow ever working on my bikes.
                      somewhere I've read online that counterweight "disappears" after 60mph and the bike gets vibration then per higher rpm - I'd be really interested if you find it so.
                      The carbs are perfect, I got them sorted last year. Up in the pilot and the main shimmed the needles. Modified air box, The bike never had a stock muffler (aka it was rotted beyond repair so it was very free flow, Hey what ya expect for a $500 bike???) so I got it perfect. Runs good, The counter balance is always spinning through gear drive. The GR is equipped with a centrifugal flywheel that deactivates around 3K rpm. Meant to increase low end torque (which it does). The bike is very very torquey (for a 650). HIgh end is not it's forte in any situation.

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                      Years agooooooo
                      1984 to be exact
                      I was touring around htre country at night
                      defeaning myself listening to Genesis
                      met a guy on a gr 650 that I knew
                      he wanted to try her
                      his rationale that he had 100 cc Per the badge in displacement and could kick my ass
                      now admittedly the 550 has 572 so it aint quite fair
                      also a markedly higher potential rate of impulse
                      anyhoo
                      blew the bastard away
                      LOL Jeep this bike is NOT FAST... 0-60 is like 5 seconds. It will hit it's top speed pretty quick, doesn't take much to top out the 5-speed gearbox. I got it to 110 mph indicated. That's red line in 5th... Stupid. I will likely go up 1+ in the front and down in the back just to make it a little quieter during 60mph cruising.
                      Last edited by Jedz123; 05-11-2015, 08:30 PM.
                      Jedz Moto
                      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                      1988 Honda GL1500-6
                      2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Jedz, you probably already know this but check out JT Sprockets online catalog. If I'm not mistaken, there is a 520 conversion if you look at the sprockets measurements (I think a 520 sprocket from the newer TU250x fits the GR shaft?).

Comment

Originally posted by Big Rich View Post
                          Jedz, you probably already know this but check out JT Sprockets online catalog. If I'm not mistaken, there is a 520 conversion if you look at the sprockets measurements (I think a 520 sprocket from the newer TU250x fits the GR shaft?).
                          I'l likely look for a 530 sprocket for I just put a brand new chain on the thing... I have it stored somewhere. I want to say it's 17t in the front is a good upgrade to drop RPMs. Brakes will be the first upgrades though...
                          Jedz Moto
                          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                          1988 Honda GL1500-6
                          2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Working...
                          X