Please help with this mystery.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help with this mystery.

My cafe is nearly complete, but here's the problem. One cylinder is not working, if just pops and bangs. It's got a spark, fuel, air and compression and all combinations of the above and it will not work. It ticks over nicely and you can remove the plug cap and it makes no difference what so ever. Remove any of the 3 others and the engine falters as it should. Help, any answers or ideas?

You made certain to have it running fine BEFORE you decided to improve the looks, right?

Comment

Yep, was running fine and smooth, ticks over lovely.

Comment

Try swapping the plug lead with its twin. If it's still faltering on the same cylinder try swapping the plugs.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I will get back to you, if it still falters what would be your thoughts? Thank you for your thoughts.

Comment

More than likely a carb issue if nothing changes but have you also checked your valve clearances?
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Makes no difference, leads swapped and plug, no improvement.

Comment

Have you checked your valve clearances?
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

All valve clearances/shims done.

Comment

Since it pops and bangs, maybe this carb is way out of sync with others and not delivering mixture.
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

First idea is for you to click on SETTINGS at the top and then EDIT SIGNATURE and fill in the blanks. My crystal balls good but it needs a few clues to what bike, what style carbs..CV or VMs to even venture some helpful tips.

But by the way it sounds to me they are CV carbs and the butterfly on that carbs not open far enough. If they are CV carbs, loosen the adjuster jamming nut between the carbs and turn the adjuster screw a little to see if it lights off.
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I have added some info, thanks for help, the bike has CV carbs.

Comment

Butterfly is fine, all checked so it's not the cause.

Comment

Is the plug on the duff cylinder getting wet?
                            79 GS1000S
                            79 GS1000S (another one)
                            80 GSX750
                            80 GS550
                            80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

The butterflies may be "open" but are they open enough was my point. You can bench sync them and have a sliver between the bottom and the carb body that looks like it enough and buts not. Little more open and it light right off. Had a guy a few months ago that had this problem. He adjusted the screw with the bike running and it settled the situation.
                              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                              X