No announcement yet.

Please help with this mystery.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long was the bike sitting not running while you did your cafe conversion? Carb might be gummed up if it was sitting for a long(ish) time.
    Current:
    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

"Tickover" might have its problems, how about the rest of the rev range? Especially under load.

If, while on the road, it settles in and smoothes out, I would suspect the idle circuit in that one carb.

Just because it "was running fine and smooth, ..." before the conversion is no guarantee that it's still "fine".

It does not matter what part you might want to discuss, it WAS working just before it failed.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Clean the spark plug threads in the head on that cylinder and around the plug hole. Could be as simple as the plug not grounding good. Had that happen on a car once. Dead cylinder everything was there for it to fire and it wouldn't. Cleaned the threads etc and went to working again. Just had a slight film of oil preventing the plug from grounding, that was the problem.
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Gutted, compression test all cylinders, 150 psi, 150 psi, 150 psi, 90 psi.

Comment

How long has she been sitting?
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by Markyd View Post
              Gutted, compression test all cylinders, 150 psi, 150 psi, 150 psi, 90 psi.
              That's interesting...is the cylinder at 90 psi the one causing you some problems with not firing?
              '83 GS650G
              '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

It has not been sitting long, and yep that's the cylinder that's causing the trouble the low compression one. Exhaust valve being the issue, causing the cracking banging as fuel drips into the exhaust. Work under way.

Comment

I had the same problem with #3 on my 550. Re-shimmed now it idles great. Fingers crossed for ya mate! Did you do a wet test to confirm it's not the rings?

Comment

Please expound on your findings leading you to that exhaust valve. Will be good info for the files.
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

It was the intake actually.
                      I was having trouble getting my non-runner to idle.
                      Compression test results were: Dry: 130, 130 ,90, 130. Wet: 160, 160, 120, 160
                      Turns out there was no clearance on my #3 intake valve, dropped in a shim two sizes smaller and the lash was spot on.
                      Now she idles great and all cylinders are firing nicely, compression 130 all round.
                      Fried my condensers in the process (forgot to ground my plugs the second time round). Whenever I rush things I always end up making more work for myself.
                      A lesson learned at a cost of £8, bargain!
                      My petcock just emptied a 1/4 tank into the sump overnight! While changing the oil I noticed the underside of my 4-1 was like swiss cheese (should have taken some pics, sorry).
                      Wrapped it today and the difference is unbelievable! Not only does it sound better but my throttle response is greatly improved (I had lag on the increase when I snapped it back before).
                      Only thing left to do now is shim up my needles. (this is what I had thought the cause of the lag was as it was only evident when I snaped to more than 1/4 throttle)
                      Any advise on how many mm I should raise it? I've paired k&n's and a 4:1 header. I've raised my pilots from 40 to 42.5 and mains from 97.5 to 105. I was going to start with 2mm up. (no clip positions, I have CV's, BS32's)

Sorry for the hijack Markyd!
                      Last edited by Guest; 12-18-2014, 02:01 PM.

Comment

That's cool, I shall give an update hopefully over this weekend, the valve is guna be replaced, the plug was wet.

Comment

Another update, bent crankshaft, more work, more money, more hassle..

Comment

That's unfortunate. You know about the welded vs. non-welded crank stuff, right?
                            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Please enlighten me tom, I won't be doing the repair.

Comment

How did you diagnose the bent crankshaft. Is it just a throw that rotated on it's pin? Cranks car be repaired and used cranks can be found all day long on ebay.

The cranks in our bikes are roller bearing cranks that are pieced together with pressed components. They can be thrown out of alignment and cause what you're seeing. Later years (1983+) the factory put welds on the higher HP larger displacement engines to keep this from happening. You never did say what year/model your bike is?

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                                1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                                1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
                                X