Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T-Nation Thread (My 2nd Thread) 3rd Overall (I think)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
    Exactly what I was looking for, Ed. Thank you for taking the time to post these.
    Now, my google-fu is failing me today. My only hits have been ebay listings which either: don't list the specific model and/or year, have a broken mounting tab, or are "missing parts". If you come across a manufacturer or part #, let me know. For now, at least I know it's not a unicorn, and somewhere in this world, there's a pair of these for my "T". I'll keep searching.

Thanks so much.
    Anytime Rich.

I enjoy helping when I can.

I'm also interested in finding a source for an engine guard like what I have.

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Exactly what I was looking for, Ed. Thank you for taking the time to post these.
      Now, my google-fu is failing me today. My only hits have been ebay listings which either: don't list the specific model and/or year, have a broken mounting tab, or are "missing parts". If you come across a manufacturer or part #, let me know. For now, at least I know it's not a unicorn, and somewhere in this world, there's a pair of these for my "T". I'll keep searching.

Thanks so much.
      The T frame there doesn't look much different to what I'm used to seeing.
      I have a couple sets of the basket type - one fitted and one spare. Looking at them, I think there's sufficient leeway in the mounting arrangement to fit 750s, 850s and 1000s. I doubt the 1100s, but who knows. Basically, a different length of small locating arm would do it, I think.
      One of the tubes on each side has a welded nut in the end of it and the arm is held to that with a simple short bolt. Might be one of the other tube ends has that too, and one is fixed (the plate is welded on). The upshot is that they're fairly adjustable for slightly different fixing locations.
      There were several makers of these baskets and perhaps they all varied slightly, even though they look the same.
      Thinking back, I'm fairly sure these baskets were listed new as fitting a range of engines.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I found one one ebay that is similar but not exactly like Ed's but it one side has a broken tab.

From looking at the various year/model frame part fiches (this was by no means a thorough comparison), It seems that the "T" frame is different enough from the others that I'm not sure that a universal fit would be good enough. But you may very well be right, Dave. You have much more experience than me with the various models. This is the only one I've ever owned. I'd just like to know for sure before I drop any money on it.
        Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 09-24-2019, 08:06 PM.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
          The T frame there doesn't look much different to what I'm used to seeing.
          I have a couple sets of the basket type - one fitted and one spare. Looking at them, I think there's sufficient leeway in the mounting arrangement to fit 750s, 850s and 1000s. I doubt the 1100s, but who knows. Basically, a different length of small locating arm would do it, I think.
          One of the tubes on each side has a welded nut in the end of it and the arm is held to that with a simple short bolt. Might be one of the other tube ends has that too, and one is fixed (the plate is welded on). The upshot is that they're fairly adjustable for slightly different fixing locations.
          There were several makers of these baskets and perhaps they all varied slightly, even though they look the same.
          Thinking back, I'm fairly sure these baskets were listed new as fitting a range of engines.
          I took another pic because I noticed a U-clamp on the frame:

Ed
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Here's the best pic of her...well, I have a couple more...

Ed
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

I found one one ebay that is similar but not exactly like Ed's but it one side has a broken tab.

From looking at the various year/model frame part fiches (this was by no means a thorough comparison), It seems that the "T" frame is different enough from the others that I'm not sure that a universal fit would be good enough. But you may very well be right, Dave. You have much more experience than me with the various models. This is the only one I've ever owned. I'd just like to know for sure before I drop any money on it.
              That's quite a price for grotty broken ones, but I've noticed the prices have been going up on these things. As far as fit goes, he's sure they're from an 83, so drop him a line asking if they'll fit yours.

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
              I took another pic because I noticed a U-clamp on the frame:

Ed
              Different again, from what I expected. Yours has the U-bolt end-on, compared to the ebay one with it edge-on. Different makers with a different approach to avoid finger-pointing and accusations of copying, I suppose.
              I've just had a closer look at mine and while there are three elements to the basket, there are only two mounts, one under the engine (bolt-on leg) and one, via a short welded tab, to the front engine mount. The missing third leg termination doesn't bolt to the frame, like on yours, but self-terminates into the basket structure. Whether it's weaker or stronger than your design, I don't know, but it's certainly done its job more than once, going by the bashing it's had.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Yeah, I'm not going to bother with the eBay one I linked for $87, it's got a tab with one of the mounting holes broken off. I'll be patient and just not drop my bike on it's side till I find an intact set.
                Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Bringing this up to the top...since I was browsing my PB account..."oldest first".

Ed

GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Introductions

Hello, I've been posting occasional technical questions over the years about my gs750T and many of you kind folks have helped me along the way. I have been putting off posting pics of my T due to it mostly being in pieces, but now after months of wrenching I felt it time to share:

It's a bit of a Frankenstein monster: cylinder head & brake master cylinder off an 1000, new block with pistons & rings, new gas tank & petcock, new caliper bits & brake lines, and missing air box & frame covers. With the refresh it has become quite an enjoyable bike to ride. Looking forward to putting down miles and the tinkering to come.
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Bikes:
                    2016 Suzuki TU250X (Daily/Commuter)
                    1982 Suzuki GS750T (Project)
                    1979 Suzuki GS750 (in pieces)

Cage:
                    2005 Subaru WRX Wagon sh*t box

Comment

Jimmbuzz!

You posted this on July 1, 2020...and I'm just now seeing it! At least the month isn't finished...

Your seat is what mine had when I first bought her...I have the correct seat now that I bought the same bike and use it as parts bike.

Thanks for posting!

Ed

GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Hello. New to this thread. I have a 1982 GS750T here.

I’ve owned it almost 20 years. I drove it for a few years, then it developed a gas leak. I couldn’t figure it out so it has set in my garage for about 12 years. Recently, I got back into it. After replies from the folks at GS Resources (Many Thanks!!) I ordered and installed the o-rings that completely stopped the leak! Since then I’ve been working to get it all tuned and running right.
                        I have an issue (discussed in another forum) where I have broken off an easy out inside the pilot jet of #1 carb! Ughhh. Anyway, I just buttoned the carb back up and reinstalled on my bike. Oddly enough it is running pretty well. Still would be nice to get that fixed.
                        DDC5C371-B8B3-4A12-AEDA-6992EDA0681C.jpg
                        Last edited by suzgsridr; 07-30-2020, 06:34 PM.
                        1982 GS750T stock (for now)

Comment

suzgsrisr. Welcome to the T nation. Good that you have an Imgur account. Now just go the extra step and learn how to post pics so they show up in your post instead of just a link. Info in my signature.
                          Rich
                          1982 GS 750TZ
                          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Rich,

those are good instructions. Since only the owner can see those details for the BBcode, I right clicked on the image and selected "copy image" and pasted it. Not sure if that works every time but today it did.

Ed

GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

So I have a 1979 GS750 in pieces that I'm thinking about getting rid of, but I wanted to know if any T riders did a rear swap to have discs in the rear. Also is there a benefit to having the 2 discs in the front? I know the calipers and disc designs are different, but I don't know how the stopping power compares.
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Bikes:
                              2016 Suzuki TU250X (Daily/Commuter)
                              1982 Suzuki GS750T (Project)
                              1979 Suzuki GS750 (in pieces)

Cage:
                              2005 Subaru WRX Wagon sh*t box

Comment

I have the front end/triples and entire assembly (wheel/fender included) off a 1982 GS1100...have yet to clean them up and install but I'm told they are a compatible/transitional upgrade.

Not sure if a 1979 GS750 front end would be a good match...but I'm sure someone can tell us.

Anyone interested???

Ed

Last edited by GSXR7ED; 08-28-2020, 06:02 PM.
                                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Working...
                                X