Fuel Leak, Need Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Leak, Need Advice

Hey guys new to this website but i recently just bought a 1982 GS850L, bike is sweet, but the only problem ive had is one day i came home and there was a small puddle of fuel underneath it and my garage reeked. There was fuel all over the left cylinders and the spark plug wires were covered in fuel. I bought the bike and the front part of the gas tank there was no paint and it was rusted and the right side of the tank always was moist with gasoline. I checked the petcock and gaskets seem fine and no signs of fuel leaking from there down to the front end of the tank. Also inside the tank i cant see any rust anywhere. I have inspected the tank and i can seem to find any sign of small holes that could have a leak or anything. But one thing i have noticed was the seam were the upper part and the lower part of the gas tank was welded together seems to be kind of split apart not so much where theres holes but kinda open, would it be coming from the welds? or could there an actual pin hole that i just cant see where the fuel is coming from? Also whats some advice to diagnose and fix this problem? Thanks guys

First of all, welcome.

Next, in what position did you leave the petcock lever? If it was pointing to the back, you left it in the PRIme position. That will allow free-flow of gas into the carbs, asking the float valves to hold it back. Since there was a leak, it's obvious that they can't, but that situation can be remedied by simply leaving the petcock lever in the DOWN position.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

99% sure your tank is rusted through in spots. If you drain the tank and turn it upside down you'll see lots of bubbles in paint and if you scrape the bubbles off you'll see little tiny little black marks in the metal. Poke them with an oring pick and I bet it goes right through. If the carbs haven't been cleaned pop a float bowl off and you'll see rust residue in the float bowl.
      '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

thanks guys. its definitely not coming from the carbs, how would i restore a tank thats rust through or should i just look into buying a tank online somewhere?

Comment

Just as a precaution. Check your oil level. If it's above the site glass and smells like gas you've got a petcock problem. Needless to say if that is the case don't run the bike until it's been replaced and the oil changed....
          Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
          Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
          1983 GS 750

Comment

Follow Sandy's advice, then post a couple pics of the troubled area. There's quite a few forum members here who've repaired far-gone tanks, and will be able to help with your assessment; e.g., weld, tank liner, and/or replace. Caswell is a great tank liner product and may be a solution if holes aren't too large. Good luck!
            '80 GS1000ST
            '92 ZX-11
            Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
              Just as a precaution. Check your oil level. If it's above the site glass and smells like gas you've got a petcock problem. Needless to say if that is the case don't run the bike until it's been replaced and the oil changed....
              And, this. ^^^
              '80 GS1000ST
              '92 ZX-11
              Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

I would find a replacement tank as it costs less in the long run. L tanks are cheaper too.

Comment

As Frank Z said...there are some of us that are rather crafty. Heres a Cooley tank that I repaired for Frank Z. Once the patch welding was done we lined it with a Caswell liner kit.

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

+1 on Caswells, I used it and it worked well on one of my tanks that had a pin hole leak in it.

Pretty easy to use but read and follow the instructions with the kit.

I did thin out the mixture as I did mine in the summer and wanted as much time as possible before it set.
                    2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
                    2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
                    1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
                    2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
                    1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
                    1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
                    1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
                    Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
                      I would find a replacement tank as it costs less in the long run. L tanks are cheaper too.
                      I always thought replacement tanks in good shape were rather expensive? More expensive than a liner kit? They are at least not at all cheap to ship.
                      Charles
                      --
                      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Working...
                      X