84 GS750 EF resto-mod The "Diversion" Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

84 GS750 EF resto-mod The "Diversion" Project

Greetings. As the title suggests, I have found myself a new (to me) bike. It was totally unplanned and a very pleasant surprise.

I have a number of other projects bikes on the go, the most pressing being a frame up café racer build of a 78 GS1000. That is an ongoing project.

My work keeps me very busy and my bikes are located in MY corner of my father's workshop on our family farm about 25 minutes from my apartment in Belleville, Ontario. Haven't bought a house yet although on the lookout now. All this means I can only really work on the bikes on holidays and weekends.

I refuse to pay someone to do work on my bikes unless absolutely necessary (as in I find an issue that I am wholly inept to address). The purpose of this hobby is to give me something with a constant learning curve and tangible results. I love the "hands on" nature of mechanics. Additionally, bikes are so much easier to work on than old cars.

So, I told my wife that I might look for a "runner" to have while I work on the other projects (none of which run currently).

Day after Christmas I stumbled on a 84 gs750 EF on Kijjiji (similar to Gumtree or Craig's List for those who do not know). Guy wanted $1000 for it and it was currently insured and running. It peaked my interest. It didn't peak my wife's however! $1000 just after Christmas was not going to happen.

I BEGGED and pleaded with her.. and finally I hit the right vein. If I sold off one of my part's bikes/future projects... then she would let me buy this one. (We have all used that line I bet!)

I called the guy expecting the bike to be gone... but it was still available. He had a number of calls but no takers. I went to take a look and loved it.

I had never even seen a full fairing GS750 of that vintage.

I returned home and did a little research... and more begging. I emailed the guy and offered him $600 cash. He said if I take it off his property that day, deal done. So I did.

Here is a picture of the bike (already seen by anyone coming over from my previous thread). It is still upside down and I will correct that shortly.
    20141230_135922.jpg

The reason I have called it the "Diversion" project is that I had no plans on either picking up another bike in the short-term or working on another bike OTHER than the GS1000. However, this bike is amazing, I already love it, and since it already runs like a top, I think it would be worth the time in the near term to at least restore the bodywork. I will do a frame up rebuild at the end of next season.

I have been happily and joyfully diverted.

Comment

Here is a video of the bike running. Keep in mind it was -8c and it was a completely cold start.

Comment

After getting the bike home, I went for a very enjoyable rip on it. It was cold... -6c or so. Didn't care though. I totally love the bike. Lots of power, good handling and nice relaxed rider stance.

I previously owned a 89 GSXR750R (black and silver model) and this bike sounds, not surprisingly, similar.

Did a quick inventory:

The Good:

Both tires are less than two months old and barely used. Rear is a Kenda, which is what it is, but at least I don't need to spend money on rubber.
        Seat was just re-upholstered in early October.
        The lower fairing (much harder to replace if necessary) has not been plastic welded or otherwise fixed at all. Just painted.
        Brakes pads are new
        It has an undamaged Kerker K2 exhaust. Big plus there as pretty expensive to replace.
        The forks are in excellent shape... no rust on the stanchions. That is rare for bikes of this age. Most of my bikes come with awful upper forks.
        Everything works on the bike. Any work I do is purely out of choice rather than necessity. This is very unusual for me.
        Cost $600 and it runs like a top. Merry Christmas to me.

The Bad:

It has 85000 kms on it. Not the end of the world but it is a lot.
        It has these little LED signal lights... I want to restore the bike, so will need the originals. I think the PO has them but one is broken.
        The bikini fairing has a crack on the right side where it attaches to the lower fairing. Not major but needs to be repaired.
        I am pretty sure the tank has been dented and filled. There is a very visable dent just above the seat. I am going to strip the tank so I will find out soon enough.
        There appears to be a very small oil leak, possibly base gasket. I haven't had time to check where yet. It is very small.
        The bike needs a lot of TLC and hours of cleaning and polishing. (Good thing I love to do this type of work!)

More to follow I am sure....

Comment

Wonder whether those turn signals are the same as on the '84 1150ES. If so, I have a set you can have for shipping. I gotta pay it forward in honor of Glen.
          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Greetings Pilot. I am very thankful for the offer, and may take you up on that. I will get back to you.

Pardon my ignorance, but who is Glen?

Comment

Glen is Dorkburger.
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

You did very well with that purchase. The exhaust is probably worth half or more of what you paid for it. And it does sound good.
                After you work on cleaning the electrics including adding a couple more grounds and check the valve lash, it will probably sound even better.

Comment

GSX, you have mail.
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

And ... those signals have been claimed by someone who has helped me out here recently.
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

That is no problem re: signals. I will track down a set somewhere! I think the PO has three unblemished ones... he says he does. I will push him to get them sooner than later.

Anyway, all the fairing bits are off the bike. I am a little wary of getting at it.. no going back but I really like the original colour scheme on these bikes. I could be persuaded towards another colour scheme but I can't imagine what at the moment.

I am also wary of doing any work at all! I know that what starts out as small project "A" can very quickly spiral into full rebuild project "B". I hope to avoid that for the present.

More pics to come shortly.

Comment

Removed the fairings today. Will have tank, fender and rear cowl off tomorrow morning.

Comment

Lots of parts to sand and paint.

Comment

I am wondering whether anyone around here knows where to source a good but not too expensive set of braided lines for the front and back brakes?

I think I would like to upgrade the brakes before spring.

Comment

I have bought 3 sets of lines from Apex in Toronto and been very pleased with the results.
                              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                              X