No announcement yet.

84 GS750 EF resto-mod The "Diversion" Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K&S make repro signals,see post 202 on my follow up thread in my sig.Yellow's gone but I'm going to repaint,might be back to Yeller,might go white. Probably be something completely different+1 on Apex SS lines.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate it. I will check Apex out immediately.

Comment

I don't know why, but I like the original colours on these bikes. I do however, also really like the black and red look. Gorgeous. Attempted to get at the sanding today but couldn't b/c I have a nasty stomach bug at the moment. Laid up in bed. Back at it as soon as possible.

Can any of you guys fill me in on how the bike handles (stock)? I wonder whether progressive springs would be a good investment or whether it is just not necessary. Any thoughts on your experiences riding these bikes?

Comment

Handle pretty darn good in my books but I'm slow and don't really push my bikes or myself.I'd look into Sonic http://www.sonicsprings.com/catalog/ straight rate springs rather than Progressives. Haven't treated the 750 or 1000 to a set yet but I keep saying I should.The 750 is OK for me without air but I'm guessing the 1000 will need help.

Comment

I rather like the handling of my 83 750ES. I think I will do Sonic Springs but refilled my forks with a slightly heavier mix of oil in the meantime and run Pirelli Sport Demons. It's not a GSXR by any means but I love the stance, the power and the look, these bikes have just enough fairing for my tastes.

I've ridden cruisers for years and although I love the speed and handling of them, I don't like the stance and am not partial to the look of bullet/sport bikes. The ES/EFE models as well as Honda's Interceptor and early CBR/Hurricane models are the happy medium between the 2 styles for me.

You could always upgrade the forks or rear end to GSXR or bandit type, unless you want to keep it stock, which I'd personally recommend.
            ----------------------------------------------------------------
            2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Well, my feeling is to make it sort of resto-mod. In essence, looking and functioning as a restoration but with important mods like suspension upgrades, braided lines, etc. So, original, but a safer bike.

I am pretty committed now to painting the bike, back to the original scheme. I like that blue and white scheme for some reason.

I am sure its not difficult to put USD GSXR forks on the front end but that is not my goal for this bike. I have a gs1000 café project on the go and a gs750 project in the waiting and these will be more likely to see extensive modding. I also have a cb750 project waiting but that will be a while. I am not a Honda man but the availability and low cost of cb parts make me think I will go all out with that project.

Thank you for the thoughts on handling. I have never heard of Sonic, and always just went to Progressive for upgrades. Thanks for the info on Sonic.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, SVSooke, do you remember the model number of the K & S signals you bought? They make nice repros, but I like the shorter versions that you bought. The originals were a little long and not surprisingly, prone to sag after a while. Most of the older GSs I see with those signals had some sag to them!

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Do these look to be the same ones, or similar, to those you installed SVSooke?

Comment

Sonic is the way to go for suspension!
                    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

These repros for the GS550 are really nice!

Comment

Another question... am I mistaken or is there no "OFF" position on the fuel petcock? I want to run the carbs dry and take the tank off. I assume this is because it is a vacuum-based design. Is this a stock item on the 83-85 GSs or is my petcock an aftermarket?

Thanks again for the help.

Comment

You can pull off the vacuum line and run them dry. No vacuum = no fuel flow. But plug the vacuum port on the carb so it doesn't suck air. Or you could just take the tank off, then run the carbs dry. Or, you could open the drain screws on the bottom of the carb bowls. This would get all the gas out, where running them dry would still leave some in the bottom of the bowls.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                          1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Originally posted by holyroller View Post
                            Just out of curiosity, SVSooke, do you remember the model number of the K & S signals you bought? They make nice repros, but I like the shorter versions that you bought. The originals were a little long and not surprisingly, prone to sag after a while. Most of the older GSs I see with those signals had some sag to them!

Thanks in advance.
                            I can find out for you. Parts N' More has them for less $$ http://www.partsnmore.com/ look under the GS750 heading.Got mine for $19 CAD at my local dealer.

Comment

That link to Parts N' More is greatly appreciated. Lots of very useful items on there, like electrical connections etc. Good to know about that.

I found some nice looking signals under the gs750 category but I wonder who makes them.. if I am not mistaken, there is no info on the manufacturer. I guess I will email them to find out. Really good prices.

Thanks again.

Comment

Pretty sure they're K&S,got them for my 1000 to.Chrome round style ones.Heck they make repro's for my GPz to

Comment

Working...
                                X