84 GS750 EF resto-mod The "Diversion" Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by holyroller View Post
    I am wondering whether anyone around here knows where to source a good but not too expensive set of braided lines for the front and back brakes?

I think I would like to upgrade the brakes before spring.
    Try places that make industrial fluid lines.We have one locally and they also make custom brake lines for hot rods or anything that pushes fluids under pressure.Reasonable prices
    Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
    Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
    Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Well, between work and sickness I have not managed to accomplish much on the bike in the last two weeks. I have all the plastics off, the decals removed, and ready to sand. This weekend will see most of that done.

I have also bought yet another motorcycle. My wife is thrilled. HA. I sold my Yamaha xv750 for parts and bought a complete 1980 Yamaha xs1100. I understand it runs, but for $300 complete and all original, I could care less. I am going to part out the xs1100 to fund my other bike projects. I actually hate parting out bikes, but such is life. I will post a picture of the Yamaha when I get it home later this week.

Question related to that in my last post, anyone know where to source stainless braided lines for oil coolers? I will check out a local industrial lines company here, but will they have the fittings I need?

Thanks for the help.

Comment

I have found a complete, straight 1991 GSXR1100 front end for $300. Includes the forks, rotors, and calipers. This seems reasonable to me, but I could be wrong. Any advice?

Comment

Well, it has certainly been a while. I have been very busy with work and only able to work on the bike when opportunity allows, which has not been often.

However, I am at the stage now with the plastics and tank where I am just waiting for some slightly warmer weather so that I can paint. I will post a picture or two when I get back out to the farm this weekend.

I have also been busy modding my 1974 Safetech racing helmet. I am reinforcing it with carbon fibre so it will have the look of the 70s but the strength of a new helmet. Stronger than most new helmets actually. I have post a few pics of that when I get a chance as well.

Anyway, nice to be back. Hope everyone here is well.

Comment

Uhhh, not so sure about shoring up an old crackerlid. Bell has been making retro helmets.

Bell Helmets brings it back to the old school with their new line of Vintage race helmets along with plenty of new current styles to choose from. - SUBSCRIBE...
            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

Well, it has been a while. I have missed this site. It is a truly remarkable source of GS info.

I last posted in April. Since then, the bike has been completed (for now... is a bike ever really done!?).

In the end, I replaced:

1. Signals (with new GS500 signals as they were shorter);
              2. Grips and levers;
              3. and misc. parts.

I also removed all the plastic, sanded it (this took sooo many hours!) primed it, and painted and clear coated it. I decided to do something different and painted the bike with a sort of "rhino" texture. At first it was the result of a poor first base coat (gun not setup well) but then I decided I liked that look and continued to paint the rest and clear coat with the same finish.

Then I added new decals. Overall, I am thrilled with the result.

Additionally, I wet-sanded the windshield but it was not in great shape so I painted it black again. If I ever really want to change it, I will buy another clear one.

He is a picture of my bike basically done.
              Attached Files

Comment

I am still working on getting braided lines for front and back and will be rebuilding the front forks and upgrading to likely Progressive springs.

Other than that, it is done until such time as an engine overhaul becomes necessary.

I will post a video after this weekend.

The only other issue I have is that after spending nearly every Saturday for 4 months working on it.... I pulled it out of the workshop (finished), took it for a rip up the road to make sure everything worked well (it does!!) and then proceeded 2 HOURS LATER to break my arm playing at skate park with my nephews and niece. So... it sits. Until likely end of July.

That said, I have now purchased two more of these bikes. Both 83s. Both run. One has pretty bad plastics but the other is halfway through ground up restoration and the guy just bought a couple of GT750 Water Buffalo and has moved on to focus on these projects. Great guy, and really good to me.

I am going to finish the restoration and go from there. Should sell one, but would rather keep them all! Photos to follow. I have picked up the Yellow "parts" bike already and will be picking up the "restoration" bike next week.
                Attached Files

Comment

Sorry to hear about your arm. Not fun!

Do you live in Canada? Think I read that before, you should add it to your profile so it shows up on every post FYI. Where are you finding these bikes, classified? Wish I had a few options like those where I live... I've wanted an EFE since I first saw one. Lockhart lowers are an expensive and rare second choice. Maybe one day I'll find something like that down here.
                  ----------------------------------------------------------------
                  2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Mikerophone, thanks for the comments.

Interestingly, I had never heard or nor seen an EFE version until I stumbled across one on Kijiji (the one I just finished actually). I own a couple of old GSs and used to own a GSXR750R but had never seen a fully faired GS750 before. I immediately liked them.

After acquiring the first one, locally in my city (Belleville, Ontario), I decided to keep my eye open for a 550 version. Low and behold, another 750EF popped up for sale "for parts" but with a running engine. That is the yellow one in the above picture. I bought it. When I went to pick up the yellow one, the owner showed me another 750EF in parts, mid-restoration and joked, "I'll sell you that one too if you want it." I joked back that I would be divorced quickly if I did!

However, I did want the 3rd bike as it has a newly painted frame, newly painted wheels, and lots of excellent parts, including nice plastics and a ported/polished engine.

I called the guy, and he said I could have it at the end of June (he is travelling out of province) so I will pick it up then.

All told, I have paid less than $1000 Canadian for all three bikes. Pretty good deal and I am thankful. Mind you, I put likely $750 into the newly painted one over the winter but still great deals on really nice bikes. I am thrilled.

Comment

Of note: I am still married.

Comment

Originally posted by holyroller View Post
                        Of note: I am still married.
                        Good to hear, iI'd hate for the Missus to break your other/good arm! Smoking deal - 3 bikes >$1000!?? Awesome. Deals like that you simply can't pass up and hopefully your lady understands that. Mine does, at least currently although the last bike I brought home she said if I don't finish and seek one of the project bikes before I come home with another, she'd use my sledgehammer!!

I love the stance, fairings and bodywork on the early dressed GS's, transformational... Although I love them naked too.
                        ----------------------------------------------------------------
                        2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Working...
                        X