Drew's 850 L Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drew's 850 L Restoration

So, the GS did great for me this past riding season. I've decided to give her some love. I'll post progress pics as I go. Here she sat last weekend.

And here she sits today.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

What's the plan? Looks like you have a nice starting point.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism
      What's the plan? Looks like you have a nice starting point.
      I'll be keeping it mostly stock. Upgrade the suspension, she's a bit soft. Still researching paint for the frame. Kinda ruled out powdercoat due to the cost. Engine will be soda blasted and painted with VHT universal aluminum. Polish the cases, etc. I'm thinking about doing a somewhat custom paint job on the tank and covers, probably do the fenders to match. And then, a new pit replica seat cover. Should be fun!

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Good luck with the resto...look forward to seeing your progress!

Comment

If my resto ends up looking anything like yours does before you've started, I'll be a happy man.

You are certainly going to set the standard with this one.

Good luck and greetings
          Richard
          sigpic
          GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
          GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
          GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
          GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
          Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
          Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards
            If my resto ends up looking anything like yours does before you've started, I'll be a happy man.
            Thanks for the kind words. As I was posting those pics, I was thinking how they made the bike look a lot better than it really does. She really looks tired up close. I'll be posting before and after pics of all the bits as I go.

Drew

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

I'll be following with interest. Agree with Richard, it's a pretty nice starting point for a project! Looks like a beauty queen as she sits compared to my 850GL! I've been tossing around the idea of a light restoration on it, but if it happens it won't be any time real soon. (At least a year or two away, maybe more.)
              Charles
              --
              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Has anyone had experience with a soda blaster like this? I plan to look at it tomorrow.

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

So, I was hoping to start soda blasting today, but ran into a snag. The blaster I bought from CL was missing the pickup tube. Hopefully, I'll be able to get it through HF. If not, I'll have to fabricate one. Took off work this upcoming week to get something done on this project. I'm anxious to get going!

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge
                    As I was posting those pics, I was thinking how they made the bike look a lot better than it really does. She really looks tired up close.
                    Don't worry - a lot of our bikes look better in pics than live and up close.
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Well, Harbor Freight officially sucks when it comes to parts. They don't supply any parts for my soda blaster, even though it is the current model they are selling. Guess I'll be fabricating a pickup tube.

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Good luck with the project.
                        That carpet really brings the room together (big lebowski)

1978 GS1000C
                        1979 GS1000E
                        1980 GS1000E
                        2004 Roadstar

Comment

Originally posted by Rover
                          Good luck with the project.
                          That carpet really brings the room together (big lebowski)
                          Haha, yeah. The wife wanted a new one for the living room. Instead of throwing the old one away, I moved it to the garage. It does make it more comfortable when I have to lay down beside the bike (no lift).

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge
                            I moved it to the garage. It does make it more comfortable when I have to lay down beside the bike (no lift).
                            It also helps in finding dropped parts while keeping them from rolling away.

Comment

On with the blasting! A 20" section of 1/4" OD copper tube and some strategically drilled holes and it works! Easily took the factory coating off of the motor mounts down to bare steel. Doesn't do much on rust though. Now if it will just stop raining...

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Working...
                              X