Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm the new guy...

Hi y'all

The name is Jonathan, and i'm the proud owner of a 1977 GS750 that I will be restoring. A little history about the bike, the guy I bought it from had owned it for 31 years and had only put about 11,000 or so miles on it, although it has been sitting for the past 20-25 years. Currently it has 21,070 miles on it and it has a few mods on it already... I would have liked to have a stock bike but I scored it for a good deal so I can't complain too much. Some of the mods include, 4-1 exhaust, pod air filters, taller handlebars, custom seat w/sissy bar and a few other small things.

I will be needing some help when it comes to syncing the carbs, but there is probably already a thread for that. Most of the things that the bike needs are on order so I will be posting updates as I progress through the restoration.

DSC_0492-compressed.jpg
    Last edited by Guest; 01-01-2015, 09:56 PM.

Welcome and good luck with the cycle.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Welcome to the site. Your picture did not work though.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

You need to stand on one leg, and say "picture, picture, picture" to appease the JPG god, and this may post pic's.
        oh, and by the way, if you use an IPad don't bother trying to drag and drop.

Comment

Thanks for the greetings. And here is another shot at the picture...

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by sinkankan View Post
            ...if you use an iPad don't bother trying to drag and drop.
            I'm not using an iPad but I am using a tablet and the drag n drop feature is rather a pain at that. 😁

Jon

Comment

Nice Bike!

Welcome!

I love 750s...and this one is a beauty. There's a world of information here to help you with ALL your maintenance needs.

Take more pics and upload to Photobucket or similar picture hosting site.

Ed
              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                ...Take more pics and upload to Photobucket or similar picture hosting site.
                As requested I have uploaded all the pictures that I have thus far of the GS. I have one question though, what would be a good way to clean the outside of the engine/transmission? I have heard of people who use steel wool and aluminum polish, others say any good heavy duty degreaser will do. I have even heard that Marvel Mystery Oil will work to clean the aluminum case when used with steel wool or a sponge or something like that. Thoughts? I am not looking for a mirror finish but would like it to be at least a little bit shiny.

Jon

Edit: Wasn't even thinking but I forgot to add the link for the pictures. https://drive.google.com/folderview?...zQ&usp=sharing
                Last edited by Guest; 01-04-2015, 06:10 PM.

Comment

The engine cases have a lacquer finish (to protect from oxidation) which needs removing with a solvent, then it's elbow grease with different grades of wet/dry paper depending on the damage. That'll give you a decent finish but's on to the buffing wheel if you want a shine.

Welcome to the forum and get rid of that back rest!
                  -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Second on the back rest... and the handle bars.

But Welcome and good luck!
                    Jedz Moto
                    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                    1988 Honda GL1500-6
                    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                    Originally posted by Hayabuser
                    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations,

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
                      Help! Your Bike Won't Start
                      DON'T DO THESE THINGS
                      Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
                      Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                      X