Vertical license plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vertical license plates

There are a lot of aftermarket plate relocation brackets for sale. I wanted to make one strong enough to push the bike with but when I checked the state laws and they are not allowed. It looks like Pennsylvania offer's vertical license plates.

In the first place, I can't imagine why anyone would want to have a vertical plate, when most, if not all, states specify that plates are to be mounted horizontal, and should be readable at a certain distance.

Next, why would you want one "strong enough to push the bike with"?

The bike is supposed to move on its own power. If it doesn't, fix it.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

They are not legal here in Iowa. Iowa also does have a law that they need to be a certain height, but they don't enforce that one. Those axle height plates are technically illegal.

Comment

Those axle mounted ones are gross.
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

Friends old "street legal" drag bike. It's pretty common to push or pull them.

"Those axle height plates are technically illegal." I have seen a few horizontal axle mounted after market brackets but not sure they would be strong enough.
          plate5.jpg

Comment

Made up the parts. X rides in the axle slot to prevent plate from rotating.

plate6.jpg

Comment

Pulled a little more weight out of it, welded it up and blasted it. Just meets the 12" law and is horizontal. Now its off to be powder coated. Looks alright, def. has the strength.

Next problem is getting some lights on the plate. We have to use white and visible to 50 feet. Lots of places sell license plate bolts with LEDs. Cheapest I saw was around $5. Highest was around $30. Most seem to come in sets of two. Bike shakes a bit. Hate to put some cheap POS lamp on it and have it fall apart...

Ended up getting a set from Pilot Automotive http://www.pilotautomotive.com/frame/CZ-3100W_grid.html Actually was surprised how well they were made. Saw people post about getting pulled over with the LEDs because of the slight blue.

Also cobbled up my own light. Hope to use a single post, upper right. Far away from your foot. Picture showing the two pilots and my POS home made one on the right.

LED1.jpg

Comment

To compare them, I ran them all from a 14.7 volt power supply. They were put in a vice pointed toward a white towel. Pictures taken about 10 feet away.

Showing the two parts from Pilot. I guess they are a little blue but can't see getting pulled over for it.

LED2.JPG

Comment

This is my home made POS. A lot brighter than the two PILOTs combined, less blue and draws about 35mA. The two PILOTs together draw about 60mA.

LED3.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by geek View Post
                    There are a lot of aftermarket plate relocation brackets for sale. I wanted to make one strong enough to push the bike with but when I checked the state laws and they are not allowed. It looks like Pennsylvania offer's vertical license plates.
                    Where can we find a picture of the bike onto which you are grafting the bracket?
                    '83 GS650G
                    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                      Where can we find a picture of the bike onto which you are grafting the bracket?
                      Use this forum to discuss racing your GS. Bike mods, gear requirements as well as sanctioning body requirements are some of things that are talked about in this forum.

Comment

Parts are back from powder coat. Custom made chain guard I ran about half of last summer.

plate7.jpg

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Wouldn't be much fun if it fell on you.
                            Current:
                            Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                            VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                            And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Working...
                            X