Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suzuki TS250 what do you know about them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real world riding there's not a lot between the 185 and 250. They both feel the same size physically, not like the much smaller 125. Top speed there's probably 5 mph in it and although the you can feel the extra torque of the 250 the 185 is more free revving. Best summarised as the 250 was good for a 250, the 185 was brilliant for a 185..
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
      Real world riding there's not a lot between the 185 and 250. They both feel the same size physically, not like the much smaller 125. Top speed there's probably 5 mph in it and although the you can feel the extra torque of the 250 the 185 is more free revving. Best summarised as the 250 was good for a 250, the 185 was brilliant for a 185..
      Great info to know, thanks. The fella with the 185 says that the bike won't run off choke. I don't know much about the two strokes so I'm hoping it's just the carbs or a boot.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
        Great info to know, thanks. The fella with the 185 says that the bike won't run off choke. I don't know much about the two strokes so I'm hoping it's just the carbs or a boot.
        How old is it? Likely to be crankshaft seals (and bearings) if its just seals dead simple, if its bearings as well, easy strip down.
        What Wally said is correct, I would have the 185 over a 250 every day. I picked up a nice TS185 ER last summer the best size for just fun. Those and a DT175 MX.
        sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

The 185 is a 1973, the 250 is a 78 or 79. So the issue of not running off choke could be the crankshaft seals and bearings? I don't know much about 2 strokes, or checking crankshaft bearing for that matter, but it looks like all I have to do is pull the left side cover and grab the flywheel and check for movement. Is that about right? and check that the seal is still intact of course.
          Last edited by azr; 01-14-2015, 11:56 AM.
          Rob
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

If you remove the LH engine cover and grab hold of the rotor and try and move it up and down, side to side, you should be able to feel if there's any movement (there should be none at all) in the bearing (or worn shaft).

The crank seal could still look fine but might just have hardened. A simple test is to smear some high melting point grease around it and see if it runs any better.

If I remember correctly you can change the seal but not the bearing without splitting the cases.
            Last edited by hampshirehog; 01-14-2015, 02:26 PM. Reason: spelling
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Back in the day, there were 3 basic displacements. The 125s were light, small, and speed limited. The 250s were larger, heavier, and decent on the highway. The 175-185 class were a mix; lighter than the 250s and a higher top speed than the 125s. All vibrated, just a fact of life. All would run close to flat out as long as your buttocks and hands could withstand it - no valves to throw or cams to lose timing. On any bike that old, I would consider replacing the seals no matter what. Oil injection is great, but you must remember to keep oil in the tank and read your plug often to make sure the pump was still working properly. Keep spares, and clean them regularly.
              I rode with a pair of Yamaha 125 enduros back in the day. We would ride flat out (~60 mph for them) for long runs, 30-40-50 miles at a time. Their bikes never quit, and never gave them issues.
              I would select the 185 over the 250 in a heartbeat, all things being equal. Very close on top speed, significantly lighter, a decent compromise between displacement, weight, and speed.
              Both very simple machines; terrible brakes, rubber suspension parts, thin seats, but fun and easy to work on.

Comment

Unfortunately the 185 sat at a high school shop classes back room for years. It was given to fella that is selling it right now. He has attempted to get it running but can't get it to run off of choke, so....I think the 'smart' thing will be to pass on the 185 as it is likely a full rebuild and I need another project like I need a hole in my head. The 250 on the other hand looks very promising.

Like I said I've met this fella and he's a stand up person. Here's what he had to say about the bike.

"it is a 78 suzuki ts 250 that’s in very good shape. it has new oil, seals and gaters on the forks, new wheel bearings in front hub, new chain and sprockets, new battery, new rear tire and signal relay. new tranny oil and carb clean. all the electrics work. starts up quick and goes smoothly thru all the gears. it has a little over 12,000 km’s"

Although the 185 definitely sounds like the better bike the 250 is a ready to go runner for the same price as the 185....arrrrr...I would like the 185 more though.
                Rob

Comment

Holy Crap ! Where is that ? Tuktoyaktuk ?
                  Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                  Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                  1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                    Holy Crap ! Where is that ? Tuktoyaktuk ?
                    Might as well be...Nakusp. Hey you're not driving up there for an afternoon pick-nick by chance?
                    Rob

Comment

Piece of cake getting that in the Camry.......
                      Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                      Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                      1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                        Piece of cake getting that in the Camry.......
                        Good point! Shouldn't cost much at all in gasoline to transport it.

Comment

It's not the gas that is the issue, although Nakusp is a longggg....way from Victoria, it's the f*#cking BC Ferry. It's $70 one way currently for a vehicle and 1 passenger! hell it's $43 one way just for a frickin' motorcycle. They can put about 3 motorcycles in one car spot, ****es me off. And then it's over 650km to the bike, one way. At 22 miles per gallon in my TRUCK (no more Camry for me Garth!) that's about 37 gallons of fuel = $170. Total of $310 not including an overnight stay somewhere and meals. I'm actually hoping to have it shipped if someone is coming thru Revelstoke or somewhere close to Nakusp. The snows not thick up in those parts right now is it?? Actually, Trevor and I were out having lunch at Wheelies and a fella said he has a 77' TX500 he's thinking of letting go, maybe I should just call him, seems a lot simpler.
                          Rob

Comment

Rob, my coworker Warren is from Nakusp - I'll be heading up to Malakwa "family day weekend". Warren & I are meeting in Revelstoke for some skiing and he drives a pickup. The Jetta pulls the smallish enclosed Uhaul without much change in fuel economy. PM maybe we can figure something out. Actually without the wheels that little thing might fit in my Thule box..
                            Last edited by Guest; 01-16-2015, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Thought I would update this thread. With the help of the seller and my good friend Glenn a 78' Suzuki TS250 is in my yard...very stoked indeed.

Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X