X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New '78 GS1000 Owner*Brick Walled

New '78 GS1000 Owner
    Second bike after riding a 650 Savage
    Running Project, why not..well because now she doesn't run. Purchased her in running condition, the pro. Figured fine tuning would make her run better, except there was no time to tune. The first ride she ran fine, not sure if I payed attention to choke position with test drive on or off bc it may have been a buying deterrent/issue, shifted well and a sticky throttle NBD. Seller works on bikes apparently and tells me it's got new this new that, believable, as externally it checked out. Not much history, only has 6,842 miles. Second day, starts with idling problems. I cleaned tank as a square one task. Tank is filthy, off topic but what tanks can fit on this bike? May swap/replace. Anyway, I'm told carbs were clean and new oil so I don't mess with the two w/o new rings and covers. Second ride, same idle issues and can't turn throttle off so I basically reved rpms high to get into gear since it would die at low rpms(possible ignition problems, points?) I lived 30 miles from bike location and tried to drive home(with choke on considering it wouldn't drive w/o) Not smart but I needed it home to work on it, bad idea it would cut after a mile or two down the interstate. Wound up towing anyways and looked inside at that point since it would still turn over and start. Get home that night and figured i'd tweak idle control, as guess, let idle for about 10 mins as suggested in manual to adjust control. I adjust the idle then leave. Next morning, wont start? I take the carbs apart next thinking leak somewhere, well those carbs were filthy, rusted tank had made itself known even after a good cleaning( tank's liner is coming apart after closer inspection). Now not so sure owner was 100% truthful about bike's history. The bike will kick and sputters like she wants to start but wont.

*When it would start and I gave any throttle play engine would sound slightly bubbly or gassy then either die or stay alive if I reved higher*

Any suggestions as where to start, hoping it's not electrical.. hehe

Valve clearences would be a good place to start.

Comment

A 38 year old bike needs 38 years of maintenance. . Sounds like you need to start at Square 1 with the obvious, the tank and continue down the line to carbs, and then everything else. Electrical updates and clean up , valve adjustment, ect,ect.
      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Masari, where are you located? Go to http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff and read up on the articles he has about our bikes. Make sure you follow ALL of the instructions in the Read Me section. I would also re-clean your carbs by disassembling them and soaking in Berryman's per the Carb Rebuilding tutorial found on his site. Then follow through on the valve adjustment, carb synch after it's running, and other required maintenance.

Also, read Nessism's Top Ten Newbie Mistakes thread (http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ewbie+mistakes) as it has a lot of good information for you.
        Last edited by cowboyup3371; 01-25-2015, 10:37 AM.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm located in Georgia.
          I'll go ahead and start with the carbs again and go with a rebuild kit just to be safe. Then I'll go deeper, checking for air leaks and o rings on intake.
          What should I be looking for with valve clearance, I haven't found much on this topic

Comment

Go to the website that you were directed to and there will be all the information you need on how to rebuild the carbs and how to adjust the valves.

Don't buy the "rebuild kit". Just pick up the O-rings from cycleorings.com and do a good cleaning of your carbs. Read the rebuild tutorial for the VM carbs first. Most of the aftermarket kits out there are known to contain inferior parts over the OEM Mikuni parts in there right now. You probably should consider replacing the petcock in the tank as well since they're known to go bad quite often and are not reliably rebuild able.

Where in Georgia are you? There may be a member near by to assist.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Don't buy the kits as you'll waste money and get inferior parts. Get your orings from Robert Barr (www.cycleorings.com) and then bowl gaskets from Z1 or PartsOutlaw.com
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
              X