First time owner in North carolina!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time owner in North carolina!

Would like to start off by saying hello!

My name is Christopher and I am a first time owner of a motorcycle. I currently live in a small town in North Carolina called Newton Grove, I currently own a used 1979 GS750L that I had bought from Craigslist for the low price of 150$! But with that low of a price a few issues came along with it such as it having sat for a little over two years,carbs needing cleaned and it not wanting to shift at all so it is stuck in neutral.

I am hoping to ask many questions while I am here and get her back to her former glory and maybe learn to ride it this summer!

On a side note I am amazed that it came with the factory tool set hidden under the seat! It might be a common thing but it still amazed me!

And lastly here is a picture of my bike!

10956219_1033009293381733_1610450019525734168_n.jpg

I lived in Charlotte for a year... You can totally ride all year round down there!!!

Search for Bass Cliffs mega welcome. It will go over all you need to do before you take it out on your maiden voyage.

Has the clutch cover been off? I know the spring can come off the shift shaft and jam up the shaft keeping it stuck in neutral.

Good luck
    use the search option
    Welcome
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
      I lived in Charlotte for a year... You can totally ride all year round down there!!!

Search for Bass Cliffs mega welcome. It will go over all you need to do before you take it out on your maiden voyage.

Has the clutch cover been off? I know the spring can come off the shift shaft and jam up the shaft keeping it stuck in neutral.

Good luck
      use the search option
      Welcome
      Thank you for the welcome! I actually planned on taking the cover off tomorrow morning when it warms up a little,hoping that is the case thatway I can have it on the road soon to take the safety course with it in may. As far as year round.. maybe.. if its warm ish.. lol

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Hope you find all the information you're needing here. I'm sure that you'll get much assistance on your issue.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by Kibatheloanwolf View Post
          ...having sat for a little over two years, carbs needing cleaned...
          Looks like we are both starting from a similar point. Be prepared to replace the rubbers on either side of the carbs. They are likely to be hard, brittle and cracked.

Originally posted by Kibatheloanwolf View Post
          On a side note I am amazed that it came with the factory tool set hidden under the seat! It might be a common thing but it still amazed me!

You were lucky to get the tool holder never mind the tools.
          The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

Welcome to the forum. I have no idea what you have done with the bike yet but they are designed to shift with the motor running. It depends on where they stop if you can shift it or not without it running. Spin the motor over before you remove the cover. Maybe position and sitting for a while is the only problem.
            '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyrano View Post
              Looks like we are both starting from a similar point. Be prepared to replace the rubbers on either side of the carbs. They are likely to be hard, brittle and cracked.

You were lucky to get the tool holder never mind the tools.
              I already have a set of rubber boots on order as of this morning and will hopefully have them here next week as well as a EXT15 battery from autozone!

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
                Welcome to the forum. I have no idea what you have done with the bike yet but they are designed to shift with the motor running. It depends on where they stop if you can shift it or not without it running. Spin the motor over before you remove the cover. Maybe position and sitting for a while is the only problem.
                All I have done thusfar is crank the motor over and make sure all the electrical works,took apart the air box,removed the cracked battery,checked for misc broken parts and ordered a set of adjusters for the rear tire,battery and rubber boots for the carbs.

Comment

Working...
                X