Gs 750 for 100.00 bucks. (plus a motorcycle jack) into....a cafe racer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs 750 for 100.00 bucks. (plus a motorcycle jack) into....a cafe racer

Alright so heres the story, i found a 1982 GS750T on kijiji, back on Dec 20th listed for 500 bucks, not running. I didn't have 500 bucks at the time but had been looking for a bike for some time to work on during the weekends. Turned out the guy was moving on Christmas and simply needed the bike gone. soo i told him i had not alot of money but if he needed gone, to call me before he moved and id come give him what i had, which was 100 bucks. Im a broke ass geology student in his final year and cash is null before everyone accuses me of theft. Anyway, he was taking only his car and had no need for the almost new stand and tossed it in.

I have been working on this bike now on the weekend since then, and have used this site almost daily to guide me along. Here is me giving back to the community with my story. I'd encourage criticism, but iv been on here long enough to know that nobody needs encouragement.

This is how she looked when i picked her up.

First obstacle was chopped at the triple trees electrical harness

After soldering the wires together and shrink wrapping them with the guide of a wiring diagram i found on here!!! it was on to the carbs, which i also found a guide on cliffs web site.

Attached Files

Next order of business was the rusty tank. It was not the worst, but it had rust. i first took it to the car was for a blast, then sat it in vinegar over night, neutralized it with baking soda, but still seen rust. hahaha sooo i filled it with rocks wrapped it with jackets and blankets and tumbled it in the dryer for a few hours.... SPOTLESS! a few rinses and shes looking nice!!!.

not the greatest picture, hard to get the phone in there. But there are the rocks. ill have to get a shot of it now (clean).

Hand he is a shot of her as i started to strip parts off i will not be using.

Next was to loose the loser bars and toss some motocross bars on it off the RM250 (stock renthals) upside down of course.

Comment

Finally got to loose some extra frame! and it is starting to take on the first signs of a CAFE.

with the bike LOOKING cafe, it was time to start working on it running like one, had not heard it run at this point yet, so valves where the next line of business.

A few tight valves but all within spec. now shes all the some, right in the middle of the tolerance. Thanks again to Cliffs website.

After the valves were set we dumped the oil......i mean gas... gas in the oil, actually mostly just gas..... yeaaaa. anyways after that with fresh oil, she fired to life and sounded amazingly good! not bad for the gauges showing 56000 km.

With the engine running, valves set, and carbs spotless, i figured i could do a few more looks type things, and busted out my friends top secret plastic renew formula to try on this tired headlight bucket. worked really well!!!!

Comment

Before and after a few hours of grinding with the wire wheel. i worked for this one.

And a Kz1000 also showed up to play.

Comment

My triple trees where looking like they were from 1982, sooo i gave them a good cleaning a little scuff, 3 coats of high gloss, and a few coats of clear, and those forks....yea they went black too...

and those brackets, got drilled out and welded on as low as i could go... and painted black... really happy with how they turned out... everything got primer paint and clear.

Comment

Paint dried, and signals showed up.... time to zip the front end together and start thinking about the rear end. this pretty well brings us up to were i am now with the bike

i ordered a mini speed which is all i plan on running... things sure cleaned up.

and a few close but not perfect attempts at a rear hoop. one a welder sand bent ( kinked) and the other an engineer machinist from school bent with a mandrel. but for an engineer its dimensions are off enough i havn't welded it on yet.... yet.... im not sure im gonna get 100% perfect...

Hope you all enjoy, comment and wait to see how she comes along.

Comment

Looking good so far, look forward to seeing it finished.
              1981 GS1000g

Comment

Nicely documented build, LunAr.
                Love the paint booth.
                Lots of room, a beer fridge and a card table...not your everyday workshop.
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Very nice!!! I loved my 750... Wish I had another one. Oh well, enjoy it! keep up the good stuff!
                  -Jedz

Oh and Welcome to GSR!
                  Jedz Moto
                  1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                  1988 Honda GL1500-6
                  2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                  2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                  2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                  Originally posted by Hayabuser
                  Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Thief...(jk)

Great deal, beats my GS450T for $150, did it come with a title?

Curious, what type of rocks are preferable to a geology student for proper tank tumbling, igneous? And I love the tank-in-the-drier tumbling method, classic...
                    1981 GS450T

Comment

Great work. I would run a tach also personally. There are cheap ones on ebay that are a speedo and tach
                      1984 GS550ES
                      Rebuild in progress....

1983 GS750ES
                      4700 miles

1978 GS1000E...Resto-mod to come

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                        Nicely documented build, LunAr.
                        Love the paint booth.
                        Lots of room, a beer fridge and a card table...not your everyday workshop.
                        im pretty lucky in that department, one of my best friends is hooking it up forsure. All i gotta do is bring beer!

Comment

Originally posted by Mista M View Post
                          Great work. I would run a tach also personally. There are cheap ones on ebay that are a speedo and tach
                          Its crossed my mind, but iv never owned a dirtbke with a tach, and the only reason i could see running one is for tuning. But iv never tuned a dirtbike with a tach. And plus for initial jetting i could just run the stock one till shes dialed in. I really would rather run nothing. But i like to go fast sooooo its probably good to atleast know to what degree im breaking the law.

Comment

Originally posted by OldTwin View Post
                            Thief...(jk)

Great deal, beats my GS450T for $150, did it come with a title?

Curious, what type of rocks are preferable to a geology student for proper tank tumbling, igneous? And I love the tank-in-the-drier tumbling method, classic...

Im not gonna lie, it felt like thieft till you told me you got yours for 150. Hahaha
                            title search revealed shes active, and has not been on the road since 2001.

As for the rocks, i just used some decorative river rock. I guess quartz would be the most ideal. Alot of those rocks did turn into sand. Hahaha which took some time to rattle out.

Hahaha did someone sense i like igneous rocks!?! Was it a dead giveaway BASALT?

Comment

Yeah, you kinda tipped your hand there...

Good job on the bike so far.
                              1981 GS450T

Comment

Working...
                              X