No announcement yet.

Gs 750 for 100.00 bucks. (plus a motorcycle jack) into....a cafe racer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

digging the build. love the idea of lowering the headlight bracket. i may do that on mine as well. i'll be following along!

Comment

Alright had an unexpected trip to the shop last night and managed to cut a bit more frame off and mock up my hoop. I pounded in one size smaller tubing inside the frame and slid the hoop in, leaving a gap to fill in with the welder. next thing ya know my friend with the Kz starts making a template for his seat pan, and then out came the old patio cushions that we saved from the trash, and next thing ya know, we got some improvised seats to get a feel for what we want.

Also made a card board template for the electrical pan that is gonna sit under the seat. not a bad chunk of work for a few hours on a wednesday.

Comment

This is a fun build to watch, can't wait to see how is finishes up!

Comment

Alright, got some more work done over the past few days. My Kz1000 buddy has been making a ton of progress and im trying to keep up. He also brought over his little nematic grinder,a sheet of puck-board (seat pan), and a sheet of tin (electrical tray). So i got the tabs all cut off and buffed, with a few of the hard to reach places filed down, got the seat shaped up, and made my self an electrical tray.

We traced out the frame where seat pan is going to sit onto a piece of card board, transferred that to the puck board, then c-clapped that to the bike and went around it with a "rasppy aggressive file" and matched it to the frame. Was not to worried about a bit of scuffs from the file since i just detapped the bike and have to paint the frame. The puck-board should be easy to staple on the seat cover and is pretty good stuff to work with.

I built a template from card board, then folded it up checked and adjusted the dimensions in the bike. Then drew it out onto the tin and cut it out. We then fit it in the bike, made a few trims here and there, yanked it out and my friend welded it up.

Comment

Alright, the last little bit of time working on the project has been a mix of frustration and learning.

The orignal electrical tray i made had a weld up the side, and i just couldn't get it to blend nicely, ended up taking to much material off with thw 8 grit flapper, so i made a new one, which i tired welding up my self, and blew through the 22 gauge metal and made a complete mess... the one i made today, i took my time, practiced on scraps and got it dialed in pretty good. i then moved to the bench grinder getting the welds close to flat, and cleaned em up with a dremel. I still need to buff it the same as the tank and clear coat it. but im happy with this one finally., im a bit of an OCD anal kinda guy when it comes to bikes.

Now im sure you all noticed a big hole where my seat sits ( cough cough was gonna sit). Yea so after looking at 358 pictures of similar set seats, i figured clearance wouldn't be and issue. WRONG, took a shock off one side, and ratchet strapped it down. yea sticks up a few inches into my old seat pan.

Option 1. Weld the rear fender up and in that hole, which i didn't take my time with or make a cardboard model first. soo something like that with a new pan...

Option 2. make a inner fender that only sticks up and in and don't use the rear fender.

Option 3. make something form fitted with fibber glass

In the end it's not that big of a set back... and it does not hit the hoop on a positive note. And a lesson as well input or past experience stories welcome.

Also ordered up a Dynojet kit and have been reading up on how those cv carbs work.... These bad boys showed up today and cannot wait to hear her scream again... i like the stock exhaust.. but would like to let her exhale better.. anyone drill out the back end of the pipes before?? will that help her breath a bit??

About the only thing that does not have me scatchen my head is my new speedo... Carbs forward. she's looking good... Carbs back has me thinking....

What yall think??

Comment

Love that tank look.. I have the same. You going to keep it bare? I'm a few steps behind your progress, but I'm debating how to keep the bare tank rust free without constantly having it coated in oil.

Comment

yea im not sure... thinking just clearcoat

Comment

Digging this build! Leep up the good work. That mini speedo is nice, do you have details on that? A friend and I will be doing a similar build this summer...
                  ----------------------------------------------------------------
                  2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Originally posted by mikerophone View Post
                    Digging this build! Leep up the good work. That mini speedo is nice, do you have details on that? A friend and I will be doing a similar build this summer...
                    yea man, got it off e bay... wires up nice, aside from the neutral light... it appears as though the gear switch activates the ground, so i may have to run a relay. not a big deal. and the price is very good.

Comment

For those of you following, here is the latest progress.

Dyno Jet kit arrived and installed it this past weekend. i was surprised to see that my stock needle was adjustable. ( selling feature on the dyno) i drilled out the slides. and only managed to do a sub par job on one carb ( slightly off axis, just missed the mark), but im sure she will be fine (i hope).

Got them all installed with the new jets and settings from dyno, along with the punched out slides and air correctors.

But before they go back on the bike. i wanna get my frame painted, and if i wanted to get my frame painted i had to deal with the elephant in the room... my seat clearance. After some head scratching and figuring. i managed to come up with this...

And then my high school welder friend offer to come over and give me a hand ( build it for me haha). I was the welders helper on that. took some time, and some cutting and welding and grinding and re welding but we got it built.

Then we got it on the bike along with the new electrical tray.

Im almost ready to paint up the frame ( tape off the rear section ). Just gotta clean it up, weld brackets for signals and a tail light/licence plate. Then i can wire in my electrical semi permeant.

Then i can get going on Carb Tuning and that seat....yea that seat.... any ideas??? you GSER are being pretty silent on advise and criticism, besides a few good jobs which i do appreciate. But tell me where i can improve or where i can learn from your seat making nightmares. lol

cheers,

Comment

Wow, this is some nice work man. I really like how this is coming along. Definitely giving me some ideas

Comment

Hate to see a T die like this. Should have found an L...

Nice work so far man.
                          '83 GS 1100T
                          The Jet

sigpic
                          '95 GSXR 750w
                          The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

The weekend turned out to be fairly productive on the dying T. Not sure if its dying tho... got the electrical wired up and got to fire her up for the first time with the dyno kit and pods.... sounded awesome!!!! revs up fast and fair throttle response... needs some tuning.. but ill wait till shes balanced and on the road before i play with the needle or fuel screw.

Not super tidy, but it all fits. aside from the R/r which i mounted under the tank.. in the air flow..

Also hit the ol girl with some paint...3 primer, 3 gloss, 3 clear all duplicolor

Shocks got some love ( right one )

also sand blasted the swing arm... just havnt hit it with paint yet... but i also discovered brand new brake pads!!!!

Comment

Its been awhile. but i have been busy......

Acquired a 1978-79...not 100% sure Yamaha XS400 to build for my girl friend...

shes rough but shes gonna make it.

as for my GS... whoooweee seats are not to bad to build but the sewing machine will test your patients...first time seat cover for this guy. went ok.. i feel like the next one i make will be better. Learnt a thing or two (tension??). lol

iv got a few things done in the past few weeks from shaping the seat to making the seat cover, painting the tank, installing signals, and even taking the bike for her first test run.

a few things left tho:

-pet cock is leaking
                              -needs some rubber
                              -ignition key mounted or a hidden switch?
                              -rear stop/running light
                              -some brown grips
                              -drag bars??? clip ons???
                              -registration and insurance

This Thread is useless with-out photos!!!!!

the make shift paint booth.. clear coated it... not sure how resistant it is to fuel.... preliminary testing says. fail....may taker in to get powder coated clear.

speaking of preliminary testing.....

got the foam cut out where the rear wheel allowance is. then had to later add some in.

learning

attempting

round 2 i made something i though id try stretching over....note!!! always use a bit extra!!!!!

Comment

Managed to staple on the seat with help from my friend. Got her TIGHTER then a _________.

I think she turned out ok... got a few more things to dooo. gonna also make my buddy a seat for his kz.. keep yall posted..

cheers,

Comment

Working...
                                X