Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs850 lights

Hi all.

I replaced the stator and rectifier and the battery is now charging fine with the lights off. However, when I use the lights it will discharge the battery.
    Any suggestions.

Regards.

Chris.

How quickly will it discharge? Have you measured the voltage across the battery when the engine is running? You should be looking for 14v+

What condition is the battery? Check the connection of the battery terminals.
    The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

are you holding the revs to around 4500 RPM when you check it?

Comment

The following are the results.

Ignition and lights off. 12.8v.
        Lights off.
        1500rpm 13.5v.
        2000rpm 13.9v.
        3000rpm 13.8v.
        4000rpm 13.6v.
        Lights on.
        1500rpm 12.2v.
        2000rpm 12.3v.
        3000rpm 12.5v.
        4000rpm 12.7v.
        Lights off.
        1500rpm 13.4v.
        2000rpm 14.1v.
        Ignition and Lights off.
        12.9v

How does this look. Appreciate your comments.

Regards.

Chris.

Comment

It looks bad! Did you check stator's AC output before connecting it up to r/r? This makes sure the r/r has enough juice to fiddle with . What brand/model of r/r are you using?

did you read thru this link?
          Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I replaced the 12v head light bulb with a 24v halogen and it is holding a steady 13.5v at all revs. would this indicate that the new rectifier is not strong enough.

Comment

Could be either the stator or the R/R is still bad, but it could be something lese. Could also be a grounding or battery issue. How old is your battery? Has it been deeply discharged for a period of time? Seems like the system is trying to charge the battery but can't.

Either way, it looks like something in your charging system is not up to par.

That 24V halogen is not going to be very bright when running on a 12V system.
              Last edited by JTGS850GL; 02-07-2015, 05:56 PM.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Battery. Stator and rectifier are all new. However the rectifier looked a lot smaller than the old one.

Comment

Here's a simple stator test. You need to isolate problem- and you have to be thorough. Good connections are critical.

best to read the link that I pointed you to in my previous reply- installing new stuff won't always cure problem
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I have tested the Stator and the rectifier using both gs stator papers and bikecliff methods using two different multimeter which have been calibrated. Both tests show that the "New" Stator and Rectifier are faulty. Is it possible that I am just plain unlucky , stupid or conned by substandard items being sold on ebay. Or am I missing something.

Comment

Make sure you test your meter setting on household AC outlet- in USA, your meter setting should read about 120 .Use same meter setting when measuring the voltage between any two stator outputs (with stator leads disconnected from r/r). As per Basscliff you're looking for 60 to 80 volts AC. This confirms stator is likely ok, then you can move on!
                      next put one meter probe on a stator output lead and other probe on good ground. Should be very low voltage showing here, meaning the stator is not grounding out internally.
                      Last edited by tom203; 02-11-2015, 05:06 PM.
                      1981 gs650L

Comment

the 3 wires from the Stator are reading continuity when grounded to the chassis.

Comment

I am in Ireland.

Comment

Make sure you didn't pinch stator output wires as they exit at very bottom of stator cover. The metal bracket that clamps them can fool you
                            1981 gs650L

Comment

Thanks. I will check that tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X