No announcement yet.

gs850 lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This problem happened to guy local to me last summer- when he replaced stator, wires got pinched and grounded on stator cover. He told me he just put some insulation on offending wire and was good to go- hope you get this lucky!
    otherwise your new stator is no good.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Will check it tonight and hope for the best. Really appreciate your help.

Comment

Removed the stator from the cover completly. Still getting continunity between each lead and the body of the stator.

Comment

Your stator is bad.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Removed "NEW" Stator and fitted old stator I had. Found a dodgy connection on power feed to fusebox. Fitted ground wire from the rectifier directly to battery. Refitted 12v bulb in head light. Problem solved. Charging over 14v with all lights on. Thanks again for all your support.

Comment

Hooray! I'm currently using an eBay used stator - no problem , now especially since I fitted a SH-775 r/r to it. Look into reasons why and prolong your old stator's life. Out of morbid curiosity, who supplied your new stator ?
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Wemoto. Electrex.

Comment

What would you suggest to prolong the stator life.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Finlay View Post
                    What would you suggest to prolong the stator life.
                    SH-775 - picked up from the US, used (or new from Polaris dealers) because teh price in Europe is madness itself.
                    It will give your stator windings a much easier time of it and very likely prolong the life of a used stator. At the moment, that's exactly the setup I have - used stator of unknown age, but it's certainly well past the first flush of youth and normally I'd expect it to fail soon or already - and a 775 doing the controlling. I'm sure the 775 has kept this stator going for several months longer than it would have lasted otherwise.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                    X