Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Leaking fuel cap/tank eek,

Hi there,
    this is my first post and I need some help. I picked up a gs550d a few days ago, really enjoying it but it does have issue. I filled her up yesterday and as I was riding along I saw petrol leaking out all over the tank. I pulled over and found that when the bike leaned or shook as it might when cornering fuel was leaking out from around the petrol cap. I went online and ordered a new rubber gasket to go in the cap and that was it dealt with. But just now I removed the cap and shook the bike and the fuel is actually coming out from around ring that sticks out from the tank that you screw the fuel cap onto! So my new rubber but for the cap is a waste of time eek! How do I stop the fuel escaping around the actual fuel hole? Does it need tightening or do I need to seal it or is the tank just dead and need replacing (hope not!).
    as you can tell I'm very very new to classic bikes but keen to learn. Would really appreciate any advice.
    cheers in advance!
    f
    Last edited by Guest; 02-08-2015, 12:36 PM.

I'm not certain what is going on...It sounds like you have an early 550 (year always helps) with a screw on cap and you have a leak at the base of the cap riser(?). Can you take a picture for us and clarify the year and model.

cg
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Heya,
      it's a 1977 gs550d. And yes I think the leak is from the bottom of the cap riser! Wasn't sure what to refer to that part as. It's a bit dark out now but can take a pic tomorrow if that'll help your diagnosis.
      cheers bud,
      f

Comment

Working...
      X