valve adjustment tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

valve adjustment tools

Wondering what you guys have found the best tool to measure and adjust the valves.

Standard swing out feeler gauge is tough to get in and time consuming.

What are the best tools in your experience?

Believe it or not, one of the best tools is ... a swing-out feeler gauge.

In your case, TWO of them.

It works best if you use two feeler gauges at the same time. Loosen the locknuts and the adjuster screws, insert the feeler you want to set your clearances to, turn the screw to take out the slack, tighten the locknuts.

Using two feelers will prevent the rockers from skewing sideways, which will change the clearance numbers.

As far as tools go, use a square-drive (Robertson) drywall screw that is driven into about a 1/2" dowel and a small box wrench (8mm?).

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The drywall screw idea is genius and I just happen to have a couple million laying around.

Also leaving the feeler in there as your adjustment buffer will probably save a lot of time rather than adjusting and measuring.

Thanks steve.

Comment

Have you been given the 'key' to the library, where you can find your 16-valve adjustment guide?

Click on the links, you will find our "library", otherwise known as "BassCliff's site".

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Dennis Kirk has the adjustment tools and the angle feeler gauges. I bought them awhile back and they work pretty good. I used to use the swing feeler gauges until I bought the others. I use 8mm socket and wrench and a very small ignition wrench when adjusting the valve tappet, let me tell ya the new adjustment tool is much easier to work with. Also, you might want to order a few spare nuts and tappet screw. For some reason these will eventually seize and are impossible to turn. A new one on hand will save you some time. Think I've had to replace about 4-5 of mine over the years.
          Last edited by mrbill5491; 02-12-2015, 03:23 PM.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
          X