Clutch not disengaging all the way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch not disengaging all the way

Bike: 85 GS1150 E, 6 Barnett racing springs in the clutch.

Bill (Chef1366) installed the clutch on my bike, everything was good. Now the clutch isn't disengaging all the way, and it's getting progressively worse. I can't shift from 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st without really jamming on the shifter, and when the bike is on and in 1st with the clutch pulled in, it creeps forward, to the point that I have to keep on the brakes. And it's getting worse. I've swapped clutch cables, adjusted it super tight, loose, etc. Nothin'. Any ideas, anyone? I'd rather fix it myself than take it to a shop, and Bill is incognito. Any help would be most appreciated.

-x01660

Drag can be caused by various factors including:

Misadjustment, including cable not tight enough

Clutch basket notched up thus causing the plates to bind in the basket

Clutch plates warped

Some aftermarket clutch friction materials are grabby

There may be other causes, but these are just a few off the top of my head. Not sure what's going on with your particular bike but it seems you eliminated the adjustment concern.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

6 Barnett's are 3 to many.
      why not talk to Bill???

Comment

Bill's slammed. I just got a hold of him. I'll see if he can help. But your opinions are much appreciated. Thank you.

-x01660

Comment

I had 6 Barnett springs in my 750 clutch, if all the other componets of the clutch are in good order, it will disengage. You'll just have a very very stiff clutch. Sounds you have other problems then the springs. Oh, I replaced my Barnett springs with EBC HD springs, much muuuuch better now. A little stiffer then stock though no where near as bad as the Barnett's.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

With all six Barnett springs in it's possible that you've stretched the clutch cable a little and it needs to be readjusted. May also be the clutch lever pivot has warn more due to the higher pull pressure. I'd pop out three of the springs and replace them with OEM springs. Will make clutch lever easier to pull and put less strain on the cable assembly. Would also be a good time to inspect your clutch basket for indentations that are causing the clutch plates to hang up.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              Drag can be caused by various factors including:

Clutch basket notched up thus causing the plates to bind in the basket ...
              Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
              . Would also be a good time to inspect your clutch basket for indentations that are causing the clutch plates to hang up.
              Do you detect a theme here?

Here is what you need to check for:

Those areas inside the yellow should be perfectly SMOOTH. It's possible that your clutch plates are riding in the notches, and when you pull the lever, they stay in the notches and can not move apart.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It's been fixed! Turns out the (excuse me for the improper terminology) bearings on that rod that sticks out of the clutch basket (sits on top of the nut in the picture above, and connects to the clutch mechanism. What the clutch pulls on) were shot, and it had worn into the cover. Bill fixed it up. I'm good to go. Thanks for all the help!

-x01660

Comment

Working...
                X