GSX1100/GS1150ES - Tight Camshaft - Won't Rotate Freely

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSX1100/GS1150ES - Tight Camshaft - Won't Rotate Freely

Hello - done a ton of searching on this I can't find anything about how tight the camshafts should be to turn. I know how to torque the cam caps but even with finger tight caps on the intake, I cannot turn the inlet camshaft. There are no valves or springs in this head.

I read somewhere, that engine builders like to set up the cams so that they spin nicely. Do I need to do the Plastigauge thing and then gently wet and dry them until they spin nicely?

Greetings
    Richard
    sigpic
    GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
    GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
    Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Make sure that the cam caps are in the correct location. A,B,C,D. The caps could be from a different head.

Comment

All in correct location. I don't know the history of the head or the cams but I don't think they have been together before.

Can I do anything to alleviate this issue?

Greetings
      Richard
      sigpic
      GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
      GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
      Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
      Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Another thing is to switch the cams to make sure FIRST that you don't have a BENT camshaft. If you find that isn't the case, then you need to line hone the head on those journals.
        Ray.

Comment

we have had good luck in the past using a ball hone to fit mix matched caps or a tight journal.
          if the cam isn't bent then find the tight journal(s) and ball hone till you have a nice fit.
          this only works if you need to remove minimal material.

Comment

I'd check for head warpage. If the head is bent a little the cam could bind. When bolting down the head it will flatten out some, and the binding will lessen or go away completely.

Edit: just watched the video and it seem to me that if the head was warped both cams would bind. Now leaning toward a bent cam.
            Last edited by Nessism; 02-14-2015, 04:24 PM.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              I'd check for head warpage. If the head is bent a little the cam could bind. When bolting down the head it will flatten out some, and the binding will lessen or go away completely.

Edit: just watched the video and it seem to me that if the head was warped both cams would bind. Now leaning toward a bent cam.
              Richard, to eliminate the head warpage you could swap the cams over that would determine head or cam but first thing is take that cam out and don't try to turn it. Be interesting to spin that shaft between centres.
              sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Working...
              X