Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSX750 1981 rpm dip at 3k problem

Hi guys,

Basically the bike pulls away well until it looses power around 3000 RPM. It's like someone is squeezing the fuel line and cuts petrol going in to the engine. After 1-2 seconds of 2/4 open throttle it picks up like a normal bike again.

Bike Info:

I changed the jets on the carbs back to original spec after buying the bike, because it had pod filters and I wanted to switch back to airbox. The bike has a 4into1 exhaust system so I don't know weather I should have got bigger than oem coz it's not the original exhaust.

Valve clearances have been set. Valves were a little worn and cam shafts also, the exhaust side one was worse than intake. The cam chain had jumped a tooth. Idk how long previous owner ride the bike like that.

Thank you very much

Check the petcock.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Inline filter?

Comment

Originally posted by ninoBFU View Post
        Hi guys,

Basically the bike pulls away well until it looses power around 3000 RPM. It's like someone is squeezing the fuel line and cuts petrol going in to the engine. After 1-2 seconds of 2/4 open throttle it picks up like a normal bike again.

Bike Info:

I changed the jets on the carbs back to original spec after buying the bike, because it had pod filters and I wanted to switch back to airbox. The bike has a 4into1 exhaust system so I don't know weather I should have got bigger than oem coz it's not the original exhaust.

Valve clearances have been set. Valves were a little worn and cam shafts also, the exhaust side one was worse than intake. The cam chain had jumped a tooth. Idk how long previous owner ride the bike like that.

Thank you very much
        Welcome aboard!

Firstly lets get some information. Like where are you located? Tell us about the Bike. Pictures? The more base info we have the better we can help.

So explain what you did when you returned the carbs "back to original spec". What size Mains and Pilots are you using? Is the needle jet still an aftermarket needle jet? Need more information to help....

4 to 1 systems will work just fine. Some prefer them. I personally do for they weigh much less then stock. Anyway with a picture of your bike we could help see what your working with.

Ok here's where I'm getting lost. Is there damage to the lobes on the Cam shaft? I'm lost to valve wear? Those bikes use a rocker assembly so the valve is not in direct contact with a shim or cam shaft. Did you break the cylinder head down for overhaul?

Cam chain's generally dont just jump a tooth either. Your bike would likely not run if it was out of time. Once again pics and info.

Good luck!

I Highly reccomend using the search feature on this site and start becoming proficient with these bikes. Great info on here.
        Jedz Moto
        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
        1988 Honda GL1500-6
        2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
        2020 Honda Monkey Z125
        2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
        Originally posted by Hayabuser
        Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

You did put a filter in the air box right? And everything has a good seal on it?
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
          X