Now owner of a 1982 GS 850 GLZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now owner of a 1982 GS 850 GLZ

Hey everyone. I just became the new owner of an1982 GS 850 GLZ.
    It's a little bit of a project but it runs smooth and rides great. This is my first motorcycle, I've had a dirt bike before and now it's time for the real deal.

Super excited. Any tips on places to get parts or good places to start with the renewing process.
    I know I need to start replacing old lines and tubing.
    Where could I find a good book or something to read that would have a general layout of the bike?

Welcome to the best motorcycle site on the web! I also just bought an 82 850GLZ, go ahead and download your 850 manual here and besides using the search feature here on the GSR, there are also plenty of other great links and tutorials there on BassCliff's site.

Make sure you address the known R/R issues, clean/check your wiring/connectors, grounds and test your stator. You say it runs smooth now, personally I'd still check and if needed, adjust the valves and then strip, dip and replace the o rings in your carbs, buy them from Robert Barr (a member here) at www.cycleorings.com - do not buy carb "rebuild kits". I bet it'll run even smoother!

Post up some pics too, use a photo hosting website like photobucket or imageshack to be able to post more than one (high resolution) photo per post.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

You have come to the right place for everything you need to know about your Suzuki. I rebuilt an 81 850 just by trolling this site. As for parts check out Z1 Enterprises. They stock a lot of parts and shipping only takes a few days. I would suggest swapping the old rubber brake lines out for braided SS lines. Welcome to the forum. There are some very helpful and friendly members here who are more than willing to assist you. One thing about the 82, the rear spline seems to be a problem as it is made of a softer metal. They used something different in 82. I have not had a problem with mine but there have been some posts regarding this.

Comment

RB,

Welcome to GSR.

Do post pics. Is an old joke here that nobody can help you untill we see pics. Need to know if its the marron one or the black one har har har
        And need to know if you are not divulging if its an L or not, but you already have.

SOmething you should know: When you say 82 GS850GLZ ... the Z on the end means is an 82 model. Just so you know that when looking in parts catalogs ectera.

DO search and learn about the splines in rear wheel (IN rear wheel, not the rear gear drive). Will fail if not lubed, and leave you stranded somewhere. Good news is that a new one cost less than $150 and you can change it in an hour or so by removing the rear wheel. (unlike the transmission splines in a 2002 ... ah, ....um ....er, ah, Nevermind ....).
        I suggest you learn a little bit about rear wheel splines, and definaitly next time have rear wheel off for tire change or what ever, go to the bit more effort to remove and inspect that spline (called "joint assembly" on microfische, often called "hub" or "spline" in conversation).
        Actaully, if you have big plans for any long distance travel, might be good to remove rear wheel just to inspect this.

First road bike, you say.
        You say you have dirt bike experience.
        Okay, so you know about clutch and changing gears and such.
        Ii would still recommend that you find a Motorcycle Saftey Foundation (MSF) Basic Rider Course (BRC) class nearby.

In addition to the factory manual (pdf or other), I suggest you supplement that with a Clymers manaul. If getting a used one, Check to see that it is not an older one that doesn't cover the 82s.

Again, Welcome.

Last edited by Redman; 02-24-2015, 01:41 PM. Reason: spulling

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
        X