• Time
  • Show
Clear All

HF261A vs HF918

Hello guys,

I need a couple new tires and I'm trying to decide between:
    Duro HF261A
    Duro HF918

The HF261A's are a bit more suited to cruisers and look a bit more the look, however, I'm weary of their cornering performance.

The HF918's are a tad more aggressive and seem like they would corner better given the tread patterns; they look a little too sporty for this bike, but I can easily over look that.

I was wondering if any of you guys have used these tires and have any thoughts, one way or the other.

Also, I'll throw the sizing in there just to complicate things.
    F- 100/90 - 19
    R - 130/90 - 17 or possible a 140/90 - 17 (pretty sure the rear is 17)

-
    '81 GS750

I have no experience to offer you concerning Duro tires, but it is my understanding that they are a rather low quality tire, but do work well in the scooter world.

As an alternate (and possibly for a bit less money), consider the Shinko 230 Tour Master or the Shinko 712 Bias Performance. Many of us here use them and have appreciated a surprising level of quality for such an inexpensive tire. Motorcycle Superstore usually has them in stock, and has free shipping when you buy two of them.

As far as size, the 100/90 on the front is good, but stick with the 130/90 on the rear. You do not get more traction with a larger tire. In fact, you usually get less, because the wide tire is pinched into a tighter radius by the narrow rim, which gives you less rubber on the road.

Oh, tread pattern does not determine cornering ability. If it did, why do all the racers use SLICKS?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Duro HF261A : Longer lasting touring / Commuting

Duro HF918 : Sport tyre.

I have the HF918, I have no complaints
      I do not commute. I ride twisties.
      I prefer to have grip over longer tread life. To bad we don't have a Michelin pilot version for our bikes.
      I try to stay off strait roads since it will flatten the rear tyre and make it harder to lean your bike.
      I try not to take off like a mad man from the get go as this also flattens the rear tyre.
      140$ for both. get a new pair every season. Or get 2 rear and one front for 200$ and go wild.
      They are not low quality. They are sticky till the end... that is until you see the wires.

I don't know the mileage I did on them.. My speedo is broken.

'81 GS1100E
      Front : Duro 100/90 H19 HF918
      Rear: Duro 140/70 H17 HF918

Minimum Center tread depth are:
      (Got this info by emailing Duro)
      Front: 5/32
      Rear: 6/32
      Last edited by Guest; 07-22-2015, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X