Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 gs550l carburetor hoses

Hey fellow gs members,

I picked up a 1983 gs550l with the 4 into 2 carburetors. It had some issues so I took it apart and replaced the diaphragms. The person I bought it from had been doing test on it. There is 3 hoses coming from one side of the carbs and 2 from the other. I don't know which ones are nessecary and which were for testing. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Also the gas tank has a hose across from the petcock that is cut that I'm not sure where it is suppose to go.

Here....

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Scroll around on the home page and review all the links. Store this in your favs file for easy access. And look at the top of the Carbs forum and youll see a sticky about OEM carb settings per the manuals..very helpfull stickys at many of the forums, so check them out.

Last edited by chuck hahn; 03-14-2015, 11:12 PM.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thanks Chuck for those links. I looked at that manual, it shows three hoses on the carburetor assembly. I looked at the hose routing section and can't figure out where the breather hose is suppose to go. Also there was 7 hoses, 2 of them are on jets on the bottom of the carbs which don't match the diagrams in the manual. I don't know too much about carbs but the guy said there were a lot done to these. I will get some pictures because I will never be able to describe it properly.

I also couldn't find anything about the hose across from the petcock in the fuel tank. The only reference I have seen about it has been on parts websites

Comment

can you post some pictures please?

Comment

The "hose across from the petcock" sounds like the safety drain for the fuel level sending unit.

There is a half-moon shaped piece that covers the fuel sending unit that has a nipple near the bottom to which a hose attaches. In the unlikely event of a fuel leak at the sending unit gasket, the hose will direct the fuel away from the hot engine and send it down to below the frame, usually around the swing arm pivot area.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve that sounds like what that hose is. I am trying to figure out how to add photos from my phone hopefully I will get them up soon

Comment

Here are the pictures of the carburetors. I labeled them left side and right side. The left side carburetor is if you were facing the front of the motorcycleCarb - Left Side 2.jpg.

Comment

This is the left side carburetor Carb - Left Side.jpg

Comment

wow that is not stock
                    the drain on mine just has a bolt

Comment

This is the inside of the left carburetor Carb - Left Side 4.jpg

Comment

This is the inside of the right carburetor Carb- Right Side 2.jpg

Comment

Yeah Jeep Rusty I don't know what this carburetor setup is. I had been looking at the carburetor diagrams and couldn't figure it out. It looks like it is some sort of jet needle?

Comment

do you have the fine manual? it is on the basscliff website
                            it hs hose and routing diagrams

the only thing I can thing of is that these were for measuring fuel levels.

Comment

the vinyl hoses are for air and attach to nothing they route under the frame atop the airbox

Comment

Working...
                              X