Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1983 GS400E complete rebuild to cafe racer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS400E complete rebuild to cafe racer?

Hello Everyone.
    New member. Looking to do a complete rebuild on a 1983 GS400E that has been sitting for 20 years in one spot. Flat tires and all. Gas and carbs drained. Considering converting it into something fun like a cafe racer. Does anyone recommend any parts to use since it will be completely torn down. Like a new cam, valves, pistons, springs, bars, etc....lets have fun with this. Thanks everyone!

2 valve or 4 valve motor? There's a bunch of options with the 2 valve motor as far as mixing and matching parts from the GR650 and GS500 to get a big bore motor......not too sure if you have the same scope with the 4 valve motor though.
    Current:
    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

These bikes are famous for just changing the oil, plugs, and battery on a rusty old hulk and they fire right up. Keep that in mind (and your bank account in reference to how little the bike is worth) as you tinker.

Comment

It is the GS400ED model. Right now the wheels are seized, probably the brakes. Really not sure if its a 2 or 4 valve.

Comment

The cam end caps will tell you what the engine is - round caps are the 2 valve, rectangular are the 4 valve:

2 valve:

4 valve:
          Current:
          Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
          VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
          And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Sorry to high jack your thread but while we're talking about 2/4 valve 400s, what parts are interchangeable? I've got a 4valve and find it extremely hard to fine my bike listed anywhere.

Comment

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...Canadian-Issue this thread should help.Not much is interchangeable between the 2 and 4 valve 400's.

Comment

Just took a look and it is the 4 valve model.

Comment

Well firstly Welcome Aboard!!!!
                  Here's some info I highly recommend reading through before starting any big project.
                  Find your manual and get versed my brother in GSR!

I say restore. The 83 GS400E is a cool looking bike! Keep it stock. I have seen so many cafe's flop or look horrid.

Should post some pics of the bike too!!! I Love seeing another twin GS rider join!

Good luck!

....pics!
                  Jedz Moto
                  1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                  1988 Honda GL1500-6
                  2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                  2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                  2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                  Originally posted by Hayabuser
                  Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Working...
                  X