No announcement yet.

Stalling at Idle does not restart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll do the quick test tomorrow. I'll report back.

Comment

Originally posted by curtie94 View Post
      I'll do the quick test tomorrow. I'll report back.
      Those voltages do not sound unreasonable, although when you say "...the voltage drops to about 12-12.5 when it stalls " you mean after the bike quits running?

Comment

Yes after the bike stalls the voltage drops to 12-12.5v

Comment

I'm going to go ahead and pull the carbs. Maybe I have a pilot circuit that is plugged.

That would explain my hanging idle stalling.

Comment

Because of the hanging idle you might want to pay particular attention to the condition of the intake boots and the O-rings between them and the head.

You never did answer the question about what condition the plugs were in when it stalled. Were they wet or dry? Were they black, oil fouled or white?

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

When the bike stalls the plugs are golden brown and dry.

I ran it on the on position and when it stalled I left the bike for a few minutes and when I came back it started right up.

So that makes me cross out fuel flow because it got no more fuel after it stalled.

If it was an idle circuit it would act that way all the time at idle.

I'm going to ride it a little bit tomorrow and see what happens.

The intake boots are good and the o rings are new.

Comment

Could fuel level cause my problems.

As in float height. If I have the floats set wrong would it stall.

Comment

Well. I just pulled the carbs and found a broken fuel screw.

Would that cause stalling and then hard starts?

Comment

No, bike should run ok at idle on two cylinders- this business about letting it sit after stalling episode and it restarting is odd. To recap, at the moment it stalls, you've checked for spark, and fuel in bowls and determined that you have both?
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

If the broken tip is still jammed in the tiny little port, ... YEAH.

Tom suggests that the bike would still run on two cylinders, but that assumes a proper carb sync in the first place.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yes when it stalls I have both spark and fuel in the bowls.

I pulled the bowls off today and I halso had a partially plugged pilot jet in cyl 2. so I had tow cylinders that where not getting as much fuel.

I pulled the plugs today as well and two of them where black. 3&4 where black 1&2 where light brown. Cyl 1 had the broken fuel screw and Cyl 2 had the plugged pilot jet.

I know the carbs are synced but if the tip of the fuel screw was broken when I did the sync would it throw it off?

I had to use a pick to remove the old tip, so yes it was still stuck in the carb body.

Comment

You say you had a partially clogged pilot jet. Did you do a PROPER cleaning of the carbs? If the cleaning process was done correctly then there is no reason for a clogged pilot jet. Sounds to me like that's a step that was missed. My suggestion is to start with a fresh rebuild, set the float heights and then re-sync the carbs. Don't try to skip the rebuild part. You'll be chasing your own tail for a long time otherwise.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I know the carbs are synced but if the tip of the fuel screw was broken when I did the sync would it throw it off?
                            That should not affect it at all.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I did strip and dip the carbs. I actually have done it twice. Once last summer and then again this winter. Maybe I missed something last time.

Comment

I can see it running like cr@p with broken off mixture screws and plugged carbs, but this offers no good reason for why it idles ok for a while and then dies/no restart stuff. Or why it eventually starts after recess.
                                I'm wondering if your ignitor is not triggering plugs on time, i.e. starts out ok, but then timing goes wrong after some running.
                                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                X