1980 GS250T | Petcock Gasket Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS250T | Petcock Gasket Help

Hi all, I'm looking for the bottom most item in the picture for a 1980 GS250T. This doesn't show up on the part drawings from the suppliers and it doesn't seem to come in the rebuild kits (at least for that bike). Am I looking in the wrong locations? Is this a general item that fits most petcocks? It seems like I have to buy an entirely new petcock, but that's not something I'd want to do unless necessary.
    18-4344-pu-gs450-gs550-gs750-gsx-r-gs1100-petcock-rebuild-kit-18-4344.jpg

TIA -- Chris

That's the main part of the rebuild kit, if that ain't in it, forget it ! What are your symptoms ? Leaks ? Has it got a prime screw ? If it has, there are 2 little "O" rings on it which fuel can leak past, they,ll be 30 odd years old & they don,t come in any rebuild kit. Try gsx 250 E or Gs 450
    Last edited by hugo151; 03-31-2015, 06:54 PM. Reason: forgot

Comment

The crankcase has been filled with gasoline. It happened twice and I don't think it's the floats getting stuck. I'm going to disassemble the petcock again and look for those o-rings. Last time I looked, this diaphragm thing was pretty worn and I figured gas was getting past that.

Comment

Rebuild kits have a low success rate. Do yourself a big favor and spring for a new OEM petcock. You will be good to go for another 30 years or so.

Comment

Originally posted by JJ View Post
          Rebuild kits have a low success rate. Do yourself a big favor and spring for a new OEM petcock. You will be good to go for another 30 years or so.
          Understood. I just did some research, but not getting a full answer yet... I've heard big hype about the Raptor petcocks on eBay. Are you familiar? It looks like they have the same mounting holes and have a good report of limiting those issues of the original type.

Comment

Those "original types" lasted 30+ years. I'd bet that none of the aftermarket petcocks have as good a track record. I'd consider buying a new petcock "necessary" .

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
              Those "original types" lasted 30+ years. I'd bet that none of the aftermarket petcocks have as good a track record. I'd consider buying a new petcock "necessary" .
              It was more of a design question. I wouldn't disagree that the originals were probably built somewhat better. From what I understand when switching to a Raptor it's replacing the vacuum feed petcock to a gravity feed petcock. With the ability to turn it on and off, it seems it would eliminate the error of either fuel constantly priming into the carbs or a lack there of. Either case, I will order a new petcock and replace fuel lines. From my knowledge I don't believe they have be replaced.

Comment

If the valve body surface that the O ring on the diaphragm seats against is not smooth, the valve will leak. I had to make a mandrel out of a piece of aluminum round stock, matching the angle of the seat, and polished with brasso until a good seating surface was achieved, changed the O ring on the diaphragm. Hasn't leaked since.

V
                Last edited by gustovh; 04-01-2015, 12:30 PM.
                Gustov
                80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                81 GS 1000 G
                79 GS 850 G
                81 GS 850 L
                83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                80 GS 550 L
                86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                2002 Honda 919
                2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
                  If the valve body surface that the O ring on the diaphragm seats against is not smooth, the valve will leak. I had to make a mandrel out of a piece of aluminum round stock, matching the angle of the seat, and polished with brasso until a good seating surface was achieved, changed the O ring on the diaphragm. Hasn't leaked since.

V
                  Good to note, I'll take a look at that.

Comment

Originally posted by harth View Post
                    It was more of a design question. I wouldn't disagree that the originals were probably built somewhat better. From what I understand when switching to a Raptor it's replacing the vacuum feed petcock to a gravity feed petcock. With the ability to turn it on and off, it seems it would eliminate the error of either fuel constantly priming into the carbs or a lack there of. Either case, I will order a new petcock and replace fuel lines. From my knowledge I don't believe they have be replaced.
                    Go with the manual petcock, but make absolutely sure you turn it off EVERY TIME the engine is not running or you can risk filling the engine with fuel.

By the way, the stock petcock is gravity feed as well. It just has a vacuum actuator safety feature that's normally quite reliable.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
                    X