Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

disaster. feeler guage dropped into engine..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

disaster. feeler guage dropped into engine..

sorry to be multiposting..just had major disaster, feeler guage sprung out and curved perfectly down the side of the cam chain. highly embarrassed, but it has happened, and will need to sort it. can someone tell me how much I will need to dismantle to get into it please?ta.

Find a magnetic pickup tool. Basically a strong magnet on either a ridged metal shaft or a flexible metal shaft. Should be able to reach down the tunnel to snag it. Just make sure you don't try to turn the engine over.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Have you tried grabbing it with one of those bendy claw things? The pound shops sell them - worth a go before you do anything else.

edit - one of these:

600MM CLAW. Our600mm claw pick up tool is. This is totally flexible to reach in. loaded grip which, when. Width of tip is approx.1cm. It has a simple to operate spring. PICK UP TOOL. is fantastic for retrieving small.
      Last edited by hampshirehog; 04-02-2015, 09:48 AM.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

cant see any sign of it to grab, will tack down a bendy magnet ,wot a pain,will teach me to be more careful! what will I have to do, if cant get it out with magnet ?

Comment

If you cant get it with a magnet you'll have to take the head and jugs off.

Comment

persevere and keep dropping the magnet down there and moving it about. chances are it will find it eventually. i f not, i would drop the sump off and try getting it from underneath before you get drastic and start ripping the top end off
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Adrian beat me to it. Top end off is the last resort and I'd bet you won't need to if you persevere.
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Not sure about this one (I am kinda assuming the engine is out of the bike)
                but how about getting one or two buddies and turning the engine upside down?
                Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
                1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

+1, and if that doesn't work, take the oil pan off, not the head.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

What kind of bike is this? I know if I dropped something down the cam chain tunnel on my bikes, taking the oil pan off would be pointless as the oil pan only lays under the gearbox (and not the crank where the feeler gauge is likely laying).

Comment

Also, are your feeler gauges steel or stainless steel? You will not be able to grab them with a magnet if they're a austenitic stainless.
                      Last edited by Guest; 04-02-2015, 11:17 AM.

Comment

It might be magnetic. Try one of those neodymium magnets. I dropped a bolt into the cam chain tunnel on my 1100F and got out my trusty USB borescope camera and was able to find and retrieve it.
                        NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                        Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

They make the feeler gauges magnetic for this specific reason.

All you can really do is keep fishing for it with a magnet on a stick. This is why it's called the "hell hole"... and why manuals always say to cover or stuff a BRIGHTLY COLOURED rag over the cam chain tunnel as the first thing to do after getting the valve cover off.

Best of luck.

Comment

Thats true. Hopefully what ever feeler gauges you have are made of a ferris metal so you get them with a magnet. A tiny camera is a good idea if you don't have eyes on it from above. Good luck!

Comment

GOT IT!!! Thanks guys, just back with a flexi magnet, and got it first time.really appreciate the support here,be lost otherwise. Off to get a rag,and continue with valves,thanks again!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X