Oil !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil !!

Well,,after reading so much oil information I feel (fro mwhat I have read) that a straight weight Brad Penn 30 is the ultimate GS engine Oil made!! Correct me if this is wrong!! I used to use Chevron Delo 400 15-40 but will be taking it out of all my vehicles shortly . Thanx Mike

Please show us all this "reading" that you have done that has convinced you that a straight-weight 30 oil is the "ultimate" oil.

Suzuki recommended a 10w-40 or 20w-50, depending on expected temperatures before the next oil change, NEVER a 30-weight oil.

And, ... you obviously have not done any of this extensive "reading" on GSR, because the overwhelming favorite here is Rotella, either in the 'regular' 15w-40 or synthetic 5w-40. If you are not willing to make that switch, I would stick with the Delo 400 rather than a switch to a straight 30.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Negative on the 30 weight. It's too thin to properly protect the engine when the temperature is hot. That Delo is a better option.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Well for reading a straight weight 30 made 5 hp more and also the Richard Widman Selection of the Right Oil is a interesting article. The other two articles i read were all incorrect. Lots of crap on the internet amazing amounts of incorrect Information, Also lots of Drag Bike Guys run straight brad penn 30 weight, it has great properties for the GS engines .

Comment

Yeah, lots of drag bike guys tear their motors down every season, too. Not the best oil for a street ridden GS.

Why does this feel like a troll?
          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Yeah what do i know anyhow ha ha . maybe just 10-30 s the best, I always used delo 15-40 for, years BUT when i put new clutch in my Drag Bike (slider) the oil thing came up use only 10-30 then some guys tell me use only straight 30 and so on >. Just confusing .Thanx Mike

Comment

mike is ok...
              years ago if a PS bike was not qualified they would start the engine...shut it off and drain the oil.
              make a pass and get a lower ET...hopefully enough to qualify...hehe
              no engine damage in 1320' with no oil..

Comment

Friends of mine used to run Royal Purple in their Mustangs to get that extra few hp. I never used it.
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

Yes the Oil Thing Rotella 15-40 i used to always think I had the right oil in my Engines, (I always used 15-40 delo) then rethinking with slider cklutches and the corvair oil articles. I was under the impression that oil is dependant on temperature that yo udrive youre bike in, SO if its 90 degrees and you run a 15-40 fro mwhat I read you are prematurelly wearing out youre engine?? !! I know the roller bearing cranks wouldnt probably care wether or not you run 15-40 or 30 or 10-30 but 10-30 would probably be the best oil to use. If it got really hot outside perhaps then (like 107 degrees0 a 10-40 to 15-40 may be better , Just for interest sakes a honda (bad word here ha ha ) 400 four supersport yosh engine cams dynoed 5 horsepower higher on the Dyno with straight weight 30 oil, Oil was removed power dropped 5 hp 30 back in 5 hop more .This was in a very old cycle world Magazine many years ago. Thanx Mike

Comment

I don't think there's much merit to that argument with today's oils. It's mythoilogy.
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                    X