Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS ... G. S. ... GS750E, it's gonna get me on the road!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS ... G. S. ... GS750E, it's gonna get me on the road!

Young rider here (bike pics at bottom)!
    Got a hold of a 1984 GS750E, a hard bike to find on Google (kept seeing ES models mostly)
    I used to have a 1977 Yamaha, I repaired and sold, learned a lot from the maintenance but only was riding it off road.
    Anyway, found this awesome forum so I hope to be an active member of the community.

Bike details:
    Guy I bought it from got it from a friend because he wanted to restore it, never did any work on it so ended up selling (good deal for me)
    Unfortunately, as with many GSs, it's in a state of "running"-but-disrepair.
    Broken turn signals, gummed up carbs, no battery and dirt in places I didn't know existed on bikes...

Read through some of the forum already, and it seems you guys have an affinity for the stock looks,
    which is great, but don't hate on me if I ask about improvements and mods.

So, aside from the stickies and such, what else should I be focusing on repair wise as I work to get this work of art on the road?
    Anything specific with this model and year?

Anyway, here she is in all her dirty broken glory:
    GS750E (1).JPG

Could't figure out how to upload more than one photo...

Thanks for your time, see you around the forums!

-Pet

That bike does need some work, but you've come to the right place. See the link to the mega-welcome in my signature and follow the trail... you'll find service manuals, tutorials, charts, and advice. Everything you need to make that bike purr like a kitten and ride like a cheetah is right there.

It's not required but if you add your location to your forum profile, there's a fair chance someone close by can stop by for some in-person help if you ever need it.

Welcome!
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Done, probably not many people in my area, unless they're willing to cross the border.

FYI, I'll buy beers for those who visit.
      More beer for those who help with the bike

Comment

From a GS noob but long time m/c and vehicle guy, check all fasteners, carb clean and gas tank flush, valve adjustment, electrical connection cleaning, oil and filter replacement just to get it running. Once running but before riding it, stator output check, light, horn and brake inspection, brake hose replacement and fluid flush, new tires, chain lube and adjustment, plus wheel and steering bearing check. Maybe a fork oil change before riding, certainly before any regular use. That's assuming no obvious issues with suspension or other components.

Im sure some more experienced folks will add to this.

Comment

Welcome. I dig your bike. It looks complete and is a good starting point. Do the required maintenance, clean it up, and you will have a nice ride. I see gold wheels so I assume your outside of the US?

Also, the complete spectrum of cycle preferences is represented here. Bone stock, hot rods, drag bikes, resto mods, roadrace, etc.
          Have a look around and enjoy.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I see you updated your profile.....thats a a long ride for beer though
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Originally posted by NoPetRides View Post
              Done, probably not many people in my area, unless they're willing to cross the border.

FYI, I'll buy beers for those who visit.
              More beer for those who help with the bike
              There's lots of Ontarians (Ontarii?) on the forum. There are members from all over the world
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

From what I'm reading the order of things to fix to get her going right and well would be...
                Valve timing (best way to check these?)
                Carbs (make em squeaky clean)
                Electrical (some one suggested replacing the voltage regulator with a honda) and check spark plugs.

Anything I missed?
                Thanks so far for the warm welcome!

Comment

I like her. There's no phony patina on that bike.

Reminds me of the good old days when a 750 was a big bike, and an inline-four 750 (especially with a pipe) was the baddest of them all.
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Oh yeah, regarding the pipe....It looks like it hangs awfully low.
                    sigpic

Glen
                    -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                      Oh yeah, regarding the pipe....It looks like it hangs awfully low.
                      Previous owner held the poor girl together with zipties and dreams
                      Pic where you can see the zips:
                      GS750E (5).JPG

Comment

Anything I missed?

The welcome that was offered earlier. It has everything you need. Spend a week reading it and get to work.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Young rider here .
                          Anyway, found this awesome forum so I hope to be an active member of the community.

Anything specific with this model and year?

Pet,

Welcome to GSR.

Ah, nice to see a young rider that doesn't think he needs a race replica crotch rocket.

Yes, this forum is a good reason to have a GS (if you are going to have any 80s bike.)

Anything specific to that model and year? Yah, the charging system, specific to that year and any year and any model.

Do a quick check of the charging system (search POSPlayer).
                          Do find the "carb cleaning series" on the home page (In THe Garage).

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Welcome to the site.....

Good luck on your fixer upper.....

I went through the same, you can get some ideas if you wish to look through my build...

and have a look here on how to post pictures....

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                            X