Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front brakes & suspension upgrades for 81 GS750L

Hello,

I've tried researching this for a couple days and I'm not really any closer to finding a solution.

I've rebuild my front brakes, got new pads & fluid and they are still crap. I think everything is working, they're just no good. I'd like to swap out my "L" forks with some bolt-ons that have upgraded brakes, or possibly just a newer sport bike brake upgrade without the forks.

My question is, what fits? I don't really have the capacity or tools to do much more than basic tinkering at my house and I no longer have access to a welder or anything so fabbing mounts & brackets is not really an option. I'm looking for whats the easiest to bolt on.

Here's what I was thinking about doing:
    option 1 - 81-81 "E" forks w/ stock brakes & upgrading lines along the way
    option 2 - GSX front suspension w/ the tokico calipers - I think I've seen this work before but I'm not sure if its a direct bolt on.

Anyway, thanks for reading guys!

Have you also replaced your brake lines with stainless steel ones?

Do a search for Salty Monk's upgrade, there are a few posts about adding twinpot calipers from the late 80s Ninja and he makes/sells the brackets for them
    sigpic
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Most modern front ends can be simply bolted on so long as you get the proper swap bearings from all balls racing. They even have a handy chart where you select your bike, then your front end, and it shows you proper bearing part numbers. I don't have the link but someone should chime in fairly soon with it.

Comment

Thanks fellas!

Cowboyup3371 - I haven't done the lines yet. I was waiting to figure out which way to go before I fork (get it?) out the cash for stainless lines. That was the plan if I went with "E" model forks, well, I guess it's the plan regardless. I'll definitely take a look for that twin-pot guide.

ShadowFocus603 - I'll give that a look as well.

Comment

The 80-81 759/1100 E brakes are the same brakes, so upgrading to one of those is pointless. The 1100E front end is a good choice, though the 1100L is has the bigger forks as well, though not the settings the 1100E forks have. Though then again adding some new Sonic fork springs and a cartridge emulator and better fork oil can make a big difference in both the 1100E and L forks. And yeah upgrading the brake lines is a must do.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Will my stock brakes bolt up to the 1100E forks?
            I'd prefer E's, seems way easier to change tires/wheels than the L leading axles, and I've already done that once...

And, if I go with 1100E forks (which I think I will, few good sets on flea-bay at the moment), are there any bolt-on caliper/rotor upgrades available?
            One more thing - Can I buy the forks alone or do I need the 1100E triple?

Comment

Originally posted by disstance View Post
              Will my stock brakes bolt up to the 1100E forks?
              I'd prefer E's, seems way easier to change tires/wheels than the L leading axles, and I've already done that once...

And, if I go with 1100E forks (which I think I will, few good sets on flea-bay at the moment), are there any bolt-on caliper/rotor upgrades available?
              One more thing - Can I buy the forks alone or do I need the 1100E triple?
              The 80/81 1100Es have leading axle forks as well. The brakes are identical to your Ls. And yes you need the 1100E's triple trees, the headlite mounting ears and the axle. Your fender is fine.
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

The stock L brakes won't fit on a fork that is axle under rather than leading axle.

If you fit a 37mm front end (GS1000E/G, GS1100E/G) you'll need the triple trees. You'll need to research to see if one has the same style steerer stops or you'll have to fabricate some....

Easiest upgrade for you would be to switch to 35mm fork legs from a 650g & then add the twinpot Tokico brakes. Those forks would go straight into your triples. I think it changes trail slightly - would slow down the steering a touch with your triples from memory.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                  The stock L brakes won't fit on a fork that is axle under rather than leading axle.

If you fit a 37mm front end (GS1000E/G, GS1100E/G) you'll need the triple trees. You'll need to research to see if one has the same style steerer stops or you'll have to fabricate some....

Easiest upgrade for you would be to switch to 35mm fork legs from a 650g & then add the twinpot Tokico brakes. Those forks would go straight into your triples. I think it changes trail slightly - would slow down the steering a touch with your triples from memory.

There he is lol
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Working...
                  X