No announcement yet.

Treatment for Gasoline with Ethanol.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got some star-tron in the garage. 12oz bottle or so, and you use about 1oz per every 6 gal, iirc. That means about 24x trips to the gas station for me, or about 35c per fill up? Seems worth it if you cant get pure gas.

Comment

Ride more.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
        Ride more.
        True... I've just been reading that ethanol does bad things to small engines...even ones that are run continuously
        sigpic

Check out my rebuild thread here: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...GS-750-Rebuild

Comment

Most small engine places will have a very expensive gas that will not go bad, but usually $20.00 per 4 litres. (Almost a gallon.) It does really work and my Municipal employers will allow you to by it and save them the cost of repairs for gas gone bad.
          1981 GS 1000GLX.
          1981 GS 1000G.
          1981 GS 650GLX.
          1975 TS 185.
          1972 100. Kawasaki.
          1968 100. Suzuki.
          1970 Z 50. Honda.
          1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
          1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

Refer to pure-gas.org for stations that have non ethanol fuel, lot's of them out there.
            1980 GS1000E

Comment

Originally posted by mustangflyr View Post
              Refer to pure-gas.org for stations that have non ethanol fuel, lot's of them out there.
              There are lots of stations on the Pure-Gas list, but very very few of these actually have a pump offering ethanol-free gasoline. Lots of bad and/or outdated information, at least with the ones I've checked around here.

It varies somewhat by state, but pump labels are not actually legally required with 10% ethanol. Most still have labels, but you can't assume anything if there's not a label. And if you ask the minimum wage clerk, they don't know, they don't care, and if anything they're just going to tell you what they think you want to hear so you'll go away. I think that's how a lot of places ended up on the list -- "Yeah, sure dude, it's 100% real gas."

Marinas and airports end up on the list sometimes, which is idiotic. Using avgas in anything but an airplane is extremely illegal, and marinas may or may not let you fill up a gas can at the dock.
              Last edited by bwringer; 05-15-2018, 08:19 AM.
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Does anyone else have issues with fuel stabilizers making gas smell....skunky? I use startron stuff when I can't get over to the co-op for 100% gas but it seems to make the fuel stiiink.

Comment

I used to use a gas bought from a local small airport all the time for my bracket car. The owner never said anything about it being illegal. When did that come about?

Comment

I used to use to buy gas bought from a local small airport all the time for my bracket car. The owner never said anything about it being illegal. When did that come about?

Comment

Originally posted by aclaytonb View Post
                      Does anyone else have issues with fuel stabilizers making gas smell....skunky? I use startron stuff when I can't get over to the co-op for 100% gas but it seems to make the fuel stiiink.
                      Never really noticed since I'm riding the bike not smelling the tank
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Was recently tweaking my main and pilot jets. Noticed on the 5th pull of the carbs that the gas was skunky. Been noticing vaguely.

Comment

Originally posted by red1100 View Post
                          I used to use to buy gas bought from a local small airport all the time for my bracket car. The owner never said anything about it being illegal. When did that come about?
                          Leaded aviation gas is DEFINITELY and HIGHLY illegal for use in any road-going vehicle.

If you were buying for racing use this is a bit of a gray area, and probably why the owner had enough deniability to not worry about it.

Also, some airports sell "mogas", which is unleaded automotive gas that can be used in some newer airplane engines (and some engines with a mogas STC). This is normally ethanol-free. The issue here then becomes the road taxes built in to "normal" gas prices.
                          Eat more venison.

Comment

Sta-Bil and other gasoline additives do add a certain scent to the exhaust. I don't know that it's... a problem, really. Just how it is.

Heck, you can even get additives to give your exhaust various scents -- grape, cherry, cotton candy, etc...

That said, even though additives can keep your gas from some deterioration, old treated gas is still far from optimal.

If you're trying to dial in a set of carbs, it's much better to use fresh fuel -- and you might as well use the 10% ethanol stuff you will actually be using out on the road in the real world.

After all, one of the best reasons for riding motorcycles is to visit the twisty roads surrounding obscure, lightly populated places far away, and you can't always be all picky and precious about your fuel or you'll spend all day chasing gas instead of riding. Heck, a lot of rural pumps don't even have high octane. A GS doesn't need it anyway; plain old 87 is fine in just about any GS that doesn't spend its days at the dragstrip.
                            Eat more venison.

Comment

Working...
                            X