No announcement yet.

New to me, GS1000GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh well... I must break out my welder and fabricate... Sigh..

How about the motor, will the 1980 1000G motor fit in this frame?

Comment

Originally posted by melchiro View Post
      Oh well... I must break out my welder and fabricate... Sigh..

How about the motor, will the 1980 1000G motor fit in this frame?
      I donthave the answer to your question but if you need to make modifications that may be the better solution.

The 850 running gear looks to be in great condition.
      Johno

current rides 1981 GS1000G and 2005 GSX1400
      1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

previous bikes 1978 GS1000HC
      1977 GS400
      1974 Montesa 250
      1960s Kawasaki 175

Comment

What's wrong with the 850 you just bought? It looks great artist from no seat or headlight. What was the sellers story? My guess is carbs gunned up from standing.
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        GSX400FX - very broken and in boxes; on its way to recovery after burning out a valve and being hidden away in my own garage for 28 years.
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

In the beginning of this Thread, you’ll see what I did with the 1000G motor....

The seat I removed and placed in my truck during transport. It’s in great shape.. Lights are gone, but I plan on a fairing with rectangle headlight.

I mainly bought this Non-Titled bike for the missing parts of my 1000G.

Comment

Mel, you and i both know you bought it because it's blue.

Looks like a great score.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
              Mel, you and i both know you bought it because it's blue.

Looks like a great score.
              Hahahahahahaha.... Steve, you crack me up... Really, I now have new excitement, with finishing this 1000G project!!

I have a week off during X-Mas week, so I’ll get working on it...

Comment

Yes the motors should be a straight swap...
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Finally had time to work on my latest purchase. Wanted to remove the body parts and take a good look at what I have to work with..
                  So far so good.. Today, I wanted to get the 850 engine out..

Exhaust in decent shape.. I have a brand new MAC 4 into 1, that I will modify the muffler, that will go onto the finished bike.

Next up, remove all of the motor mounts, and remove the engine..

Strap a 2x4 to the engine, and with help from my Step Kid, the engine is out..

Tomorrow, will be cleaning the frame, paint, welding oil cooler mount, welding new steering stops for the Golding forks, rear brake removal, 1000g rear, VX800 rear wheel, ETC.... Finally feeling good and with motivation.

This should be a GOOD WEEK!

Comment

Originally posted by melchiro View Post
                    Strap a 2x4 to the engine, and with help from my Step Kid, the engine is out..
                    Interesting idea.

The 2X4, that is.
                    Well, and the kid too.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Progress report for today.. Install GL1100 forks. Welded on new steering stops.

Removed the ALL BALLS steering bearings from the 1000G frame, installed onto this 850G frame.

Comment

Oil Cooler mounts welded up, built aluminum hanger for the 10-row cooler.

The big moment, with the help of my Step-kid, we installed my, Built Up 1000G motor.. AWESOME!
                        This really is a Big Day for me.. If you go back a few posts, this engine has been sitting on my workbench since May of 2017.. Feeling GOOD!

Comment

Slowly getting there... Progress report.

Oil cooler adapter installed, from SUZUKI PERFORMANCE LTD, England. The output angle is not user friendly, so I'll install 6AN, 90s on both.

Still have to finish the oil lines.

Manifold and carbs installed. These carbs were on my Honda CB1100F, but I wanted to use these on the GS. BST34, first Gen GSXR1100 carbs with Dynojet stage III kit. Love these carbs!

New coils installed, with Accel Spiral Core 8mm Superstock spark plug wires. I purchased these coils from a Member here, back in March of 2017..

Installed KOSO Wheel sensor.

Fabricated aluminum plate for the mounting of KOSO RX-1N. I love these KOSO.. Bad Ass!! I have this exact KOSO on my modified Honda CBX.

Fabbed up mounting brackets for the Maier GPZ style fairing. Using a CB1100F headlight. Screen on order.

Lots more to do, but I am MOTIVATED to have this bike done before this Summer...

Comment

Progress report for this weekend..

Had a "Markland" brand fork brace, made for a GL1100 fork. Had to fabricate the center brace because the GL1100 triple clamps space the forks wider apart. I'm using the CB900F triple tree, because it's aluminum top & bottom. Installed CB-F front fender, with the cool air spoiler.

Also made the TWO-LINE front brake system. Nissan front master with AN-3 stainless hose with appropriate swivel hose ends. Purchased from, "AN PLUMBING". I have this set-up on my three Hondas.

Received the VX800 rear brake rotor, so i installed that and fabricated the rear brake stay. Piece of square aluminum bar, 3/8" x 1". Fits nicely.

Still have so much to build, but I'm feeling confident that I'll have it running before the summer...

Comment

This is turning into a cool project. Glad to see it coming along.
                              sigpic
                              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                              -Rusty old scooter.
                              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Superbowl Sunday, good day to modify my MAC Muffler..

MAC Baffles, are STUPID!!! So i purchased a 2-1/4" exhaust pipe at O'Reilly's, and started fabricating.
                                Here's the original baffle.

Started with a pipe, removed the MAC end cap off, sized it to 2-1/4",
                                cut the pipe down to the length I wanted, scribed line long the pipe for drilling the baffle holes,
                                drilled out a bunch of holes, and finally welded the end cap on..

Size comparison..

Will it be loud? Most likely, but it still won't be as obnoxious as an open baffle..
                                Next is to cut & remove the MAC header flange and utilize the GS1000's aluminum exhaust collars for mounting to the engine.

Comment

Working...
                                X