New to me, GS1000GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to me, GS1000GT

Hey everyone, I've been lurking here for a while. Finally purchased the Suzuki shaft drive GS that I've been wanting. I consider this my long distance, comfortable bike, with a bit of performance, ride.. As I grow older, it sucks, my current steed of bikes, a highly modified CBX & a modified CB750/1100, are not entertaining on these 250+ mile rides..

So I bought this project below. Price of entry, $140.00.Yes with a title.. Lot's do to. Parts to purchase, measurements to take.... I'm in no rush. I've been searching key topics here and I have a good idea of where this bike will go.....
    Regards,
    Mel

Trying on some stuff, just for kicks..
    Attached Files
    Last edited by melchiro; 01-18-2020, 05:55 PM.

Nah, I don't like the look of that. I mean, c'mon! Blue coils?

Are you looking at paint ideas for the stock bodywork, or something more radical? Because the early 850/1000G seat was said to be the most comfortable of the time. Some say best ever. But it can never be comfortable with those handlebars, if you ask me. But there's enough missing that I can see why you might consider going in a radical direction.

What is that goo on the stator cover? Two missing engine mount bolts... etc. Yeah, lots to buy. The intake and exhaust look reasonably unmolested. She runs?

Oh, hey! Your first post. Welcome to the forum!
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Yeah that "gooo", is crash damage repair.. JB Weld.. Funny, eh? Does it run? Seller stated, " It ran when I parked it". Years ago.. Hahahaha..

Does not matter to me, as I knew what I was getting into with this purchase. First thing on my "list", is that Ebay Cruzinimage big bore kit....

This thing will get completely stripped down and much modified from stock. And no, it will not get "Cafe'd" out.. Remember, this is my, "me getting older and I need a more comfortable bike to ride"..

Comment

Mel, nice to see you in the wonderful world of GS.
        After seeing how well those Hondas turned out i have no doubt this Suzuki will be a quality build.
        Blue coils? Everything Mel owns is blue!
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Good luck with this...Im looking forward to seeing it when its done...

Comment

$140.00, my kinda of bike. Welcome!
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g
            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

First big step of this project, engine removal.. Stripped it down to a rolling chassis and engine onto a work table.. It sure was a bit of work doing this by myself.. But I got it.. It sure is filthy.. Oily dirt, greasy goo... I plan on spraying Easy Off over cleaner, then power washing this mess..

Need to prep the motor for these.. Cruzinimage big bores..
              Last edited by melchiro; 01-19-2020, 06:48 PM.

Comment

I had an extra day off, so I power washed the motor.. Motor was filthy dirty.. So I sprayed a whole can of Easy Off oven cleaner to loosen things up.. Then power washed it.. Worked great..

Next, I removed the head.. Cams looked good.. Head looks good too.. I still have lots more to go, but it's a start...

Last edited by melchiro; 01-19-2020, 07:00 PM.

Comment

My favorite GS for doing tons of mileage with. Looks and sounds like you know you way around a wrench with these old inline 4's, looking forward to the build. Welcome to the site.
                  Rob
                  1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                  Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Thx Azr... My other bikes are a heavily modified CBX, a heavily modified CB750SC track bike with a CB1000C motor, converted to chain drive & a modified CB750F with an 1100 motor.. So this is going to be my "comfortable" , not messing with chains, can ride it for more than 4 hours bike.. But it will still be modified.. I just can't ride a stock bike..

Comment

Originally posted by melchiro View Post
                      Thx Azr... My other bikes are a heavily modified CBX, a heavily modified CB750SC track bike with a CB1000C motor, converted to chain drive & a modified CB750F with an 1100 motor.. So this is going to be my "comfortable" , not messing with chains, can ride it for more than 4 hours bike.. But it will still be modified.. I just can't ride a stock bike..
                      Haha this made me laugh (in a good way!) I have the same problem. I get a bike and tell myself "This is going to be my stock cruiser" then I trip into a box of performance and aftermarket bits and that goes right out the window.

Comment

My friend dropped off a Harbor Freight Soda Blaster... So I gave it a try... I am amazed at how fast it cleaned the combustion chamber.. Did all four in five minutes! Look at the bare aluminum! When the valves come out, I'll blast the ports...

Also did my friend's CB550 head.. I used a golf tee, to plug the valve stems. Blasted the chambers and all of the ports.. No carbon left.. Amazing for the the purchase price..
                        Last edited by melchiro; 01-19-2020, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Wow, over a year has gone by... I did work on my Honda DOHC CB-F Track bike motor earlier this year... Installed a 1123cc Cruzinimage big bore piston kit & some other major engine work to it. Goes good now..

So I actually did some work to my GS1000 motor this weekend... Upon disassembly of the motor, I verified excessive valve guide slop.. Lots of side to side movement.. So I purchased a set of new bronze valve guide from Schumann Motor Works, with new Viton valve seals..

First have to get the old guides out.. I threaded the inside of the guide, installed a bolt & punched out the old guides.. They all broke in half, at where the circlip is. No biggie, just threaded the other half, installed the bolt and punched them out. This should make the porting job easier as well.

I have the new guides in the freezer right now.. I'll work on the porting job and installing the guides this weekend..

Last edited by melchiro; 01-19-2020, 07:11 PM.

Comment

I like it!
                            I build Pipers

Comment

Porting, lots of manual labor... Requiring proper tools too. I first hogged out the intake tracks.. Opened them up about 3mm. The left side done, the right still to go..

Now the delicate stuff, shaping the septum.. I started with the burr bits that I have, but it's to difficult because the shanks are to short.. Ordered a set of 6", long shank, bits.. I should get them later this week. One port is almost to my liking, port #3.. Before and after shots.. #2 is stock, #3 is ported..

I'm feeling good about FINALLY working on this bike...My goal is to have this motor assembled by end of January??
                              Last edited by melchiro; 01-19-2020, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X