New to me, GS1000GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
    What a cool bike. About 1030cc? I'm sure you'll keep the 850 badges.
    With the 3.5mm oversize pistons, I think the displacement is at 1099.80cc, rounding up to 1100.. Yup, for sure, I'll keep the 850 body on this bike.. A real sleeper..

So some minor issues.. Like taking two step forward, then one step backwards.. I took the bike for a quick spin. This motor is strong. I found an intake leak on number one carb manifold. Bad O-Ring. Fixed that and now it idles perfectly.

Also, on that quick test ride, I was leaking hypoid gear oil from the secondary gear.. So I removed the swingarm and removed the secondary gear to discover the worn out oil seal... Ordered a new seal. Should be here next week..

Secondary Bevel Gear Drive.

The OIL SEAL, Part # 09283-35018. $12.00

Comment

So I received the secondary gear main seal and installed it. Put my bike back together..

Then I took it out for a proper "Shakedown" Test Ride.. About 25 miles.. No leaks. Tracks straight. No wobbles. Handling feels stable.
      Braking is strong with two fingers. Carburation & throttle response feels spot on.
      Motor is strong.. Strong enough to slip the clutch when I "Rip" on the throttle.. I knew this might happen with the original plates, so I have a new set of friction plates to go in, after I do a proper "Break-In", of this motor. I'm thinking another 80 miles and then I'll change the oil and install the new plates.

Now that the "Mechanicals" are done, next up will be the cosmetics. Dent repairs and a paint job.. Yes, it will be Blue..
      Last edited by melchiro; 05-29-2021, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Congrats, Mel.
        I remember reading you are using Gixxer carbs and Dynojet. Just curious on your reasoning for stacks instead of pods?
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Hey Steve, the stacks were always on this set of carbs, so I didn’t change them... I do have a set of K & N, Pod filter on the shelf, for these BST34 “Gixxer” carbs..
          I am thinking of installing the pods, because once this bike is done, I most likely will be riding this GS more, than my other Hondas. The higher bars and the relaxed riding position, is much easier on my 56 year old body..😆😆

Comment

Originally posted by melchiro View Post
            Hey Steve, the stacks were always on this set of carbs, so I didn’t change them... I do have a set of K & N, Pod filter on the shelf, for these BST34 “Gixxer” carbs..
            I am thinking of installing the pods, because once this bike is done, I most likely will be riding this GS more, than my other Hondas. The higher bars and the relaxed riding position, is much easier on my 56 year old body..
            I have been led to believe that no jetting change required between pods and stacks, so I intend to run mine with both based on what I'm doing. Taking it to a meet or show I'll run the stacks for the aesthetics, going on a longer several hundred mile ride or just day to day bopping around town, run the pods for better filtration. I am just now getting my 1000G (bored out to 1085) put back together after having to tear down a sticky clutch and sending the tank and fender out for paint, so yet to test that "no jetting changes required" theory.
            Last edited by nate665; 05-29-2021, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by melchiro View Post
              I am thinking of installing the pods, because once this bike is done, I most likely will be riding this GS more, than my other Hondas. The higher bars and the relaxed riding position, is much easier on my 56 year old body..

Ha, you kids today and your creature comforts.
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Put a total of 81 miles on this bike.. Slipping clutch and all... Got it home, then replaced the oil & filter. 20W-50, if you were wondering..

Had the plates pre-soaking in oil for awhile..

I'll post a video, in another post..

Comment

Dang, I have not posted anything about my bike in a long time..

So I have been interchanging my BST34 carbs from my CB-F Track bike, to my GS Hybrid bike, and back to the Track Bike when I ride at track days.. Getting tired of it. It's now time to tune the original GS1000 CV carbs for this bike.

POD Filters.. Yup, I have lots of Trials & Testing to do. I first drilled the air hole on the slide, bigger and drilled two additional, 2mm holes on each side of the needle. I fully cleaned the fuel passage ports, verified no leaks, idle mix screws and the tiny rubber o-ring are good. Set to 2.5 turn out. Verified float height at 22mm. The carbs had 115 main jet.

At first start, the bike idled. I held the rev at 1500rpm to warm up, then a quick rap on the throttle, it dies, as I expected.. In order for me to get an idea of how lean it is, I covered up the pods with tape.
                  yuiqdfo.jpg

The motor did rev up with this much covered. This told me that I needed to go big on the main jet.. Took out my Hobby drill bits and started drilling the jets. First with 1.5mm. This equates to Mikuni 130. Still not big enough. Next try was 1.6mm, equals Mikuni 137.5. The engine did rev up now but with snap, crackles and pops. Now I took it out for a short ride to see the bike ran.. I am getting closer, but the main still needs to go bigger. Once I got home, I drained the bowls, removed the carbs again, then drilled the jets to 1.66mm, which is around a 140 Mikuni.

The next test ride will be tomorrow..
                  Last edited by melchiro; 06-19-2023, 11:31 AM.

Comment

When I installed APE pods on my 11EZ (it already had 4-into-1s) it barely ran. I had to cover up each pod about 90% with electrical tape to make it rideable. I rode it over to my mechanic, and with a Dynojet kit and his dynomometer, he nailed it. Starts and idles perfect, pulls to red line with narry a cough or a stutter.
                    99.3 rwh. Not too shabby.
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Hard to believe what you've done with this bike. Inspiring!

Comment

Working...
                      X