No announcement yet.

New to me, GS1000GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is almost exactly what I did the Mac on my 1100e many years ago, minus the wrap.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Right? These MAC baffles are JUNK!

Though, I do like the header design. I have these MAC system, on my two, CB-F Bikes, with my modified baffles, of course.

Comment

*scribbling notes for my GS1000G*

Looks great Mel. I'm practicing some of the stuff you're doing on my GS450, no other way to gain experience otherwise.

How does one know if it's necessary to adjust intake/exhaust timing? Presumably it's because of the big bore kit?
        1982 GS 450L aka Lil' Red
        1980 GS 1000G aka Big Red (Resto-mod WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by free99 View Post
          *scribbling notes for my GS1000G*

How does one know if it's necessary to adjust intake/exhaust timing? Presumably it's because of the big bore kit?
          Hey there, since I had the head decked, .006” , this lowered the head down enough that it throws the cam timing off, several degrees.
          And, with the existing cam chain with several thousand mile, it will have a slight stretch to it.

All added together, the intake and exhaust valves are not opening and closing at optimal times, in relation to the piston’s,
          BTDC(Before Top Dead Center)or ABDT(After Bottom Dead Center).

Slotting the cam sprockets, in order to rotate the cams, to obtain the desired, “Lobe Centers”, is what must be done.

I hope I didn’t get to Technical on you?

Mel

Comment

Progress report.. Exhaust Flange/Collar work..

MAC Exhaust has the standard Chrome Steel metal flange. I don't like it.
            My 1000G motor came with the stock, Suzuki Aluminum Finned exhaust collars. This is what I want.

Dirty collars.

Cleaned, with using my Harbor Freight Soda Blaster..

Next up, fabricating spacers for the Suzuki collars. Cut up a pipe, and welded stops on it, I made eight.

Then chop off the MAC Flanges.

Test fit the spacers.

Bought new Stainless Socket Cap bolts.

Test fit the header, onto the bike.

Fits nicely.

Yeah, looking like a KERKER, don't it?

Now that I know that the fit is perfect, I'll remove the header again and install the exhaust gaskets. then fabricate a hanger for the muffler.. Slow going, but it's getting there..

Mel

Comment

I love the idea of using the stock collars. I looks better, and they are probably much more rigid then the steel ones.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Nice work on the pipe.
                You sure it isn't a Kerker?

2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                  Nice work on the pipe.
                  You sure it isn't a Kerker?

Hahahahahaha..... LOL... Maybe I can fabricate a KERKER badge... Better yet, I should make, “Melchiro Exhaust” badge.. that will throw everyone off.. LOL

Comment

Progress report for this weekend..

New Shocks.. Piggyback type, Ebay Shocks.

Mounted the shocks onto the bike. I fixed the adjustable lower eye for a total length of 340mm.

I fabricated a muffler hanger from piece of aluminum, to be bolted to the passenger peg bolt. Installed the exhaust gaskets and fully bolted down the exhaust flanges.. My homemade exhaust spacers worked perfect.
                    I installed the body panels, just to see what it looks like... I like it.

I installed the oil filter, just need to fill it up with oil.. I'm thinking the first engine start-up may happen this month??

Comment

Today's progress report.. Fired up the bike.. Not without minor issues, of course. First, the starter clutch was slipping badly. You could hear it in the first video.

The second video, was after I tightened the rotor bolt, and cleaned the carb's idle ports. I still have to fine tune the jetting.

The MAC pipe with my home-made baffles, are loud...

First video.

Second video.

Comment

I’d swear that the birds in the background were mocking the startup attempt.
                        Glad to hear it run. Progress..
                        sigpic

Glen
                        -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Awesome project. You, Sir, are a legend! Such a clever person - I believe there are many who wish they had the skills you have! Am just rebuilding my own 1000G but back to stock (except for a 4 into 1 pipe that was on it.) It had been sitting for years when I bought it back. Stripped carbs and cleaned, replaced bits (intake boots, petcock, coils, fluids), adjusted valve clearances, etc. Now just waiting on air cleaner boots to arrive from Z1 to New Zealand to be able to complete the engine work side. Then new shocks, new rubber and a nice tidy up. Love your work. Cheers, Griff
                          Patriots Defence Force MC Club
                          '81 GS1000G
                          2015 Rocket 3 Touring (sold)
                          2018 Indian Roadmaster (sold)
                          2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan
                          1997 Honda Goldwing GL1500 (sadly, written off after a slide down the road - September 2023)

Comment

Instantly recognized the slipping starter clutch. A different sound than the one on my CB1100F but the same result.
                            Can you glass pack the muffler or will you have to reconfigure the baffle or just be prudent with the throttle?
                            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Almost ready for it's maiden Test Ride.. Need to fabricate a left side mirror mount, bleed the rear brake and obtain new license plate registration tabs..

Fabricated a fairing mount & installed the new windscreen. Installed four new mini turn signal lights.. KOSO gauge works.

Comment

What a cool bike. About 1030cc? I'm sure you'll keep the 850 badges.
                                1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                                1983 GS 1100 G
                                2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                                2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                                1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Working...
                                X