Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: New to me, GS1000GT

I’d swear that the birds in the background were mocking the startup attempt.
    Glad to hear it run. Progress..

When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Awesome project. You, Sir, are a legend! Such a clever person - I believe there are many who wish they had the skills you have! Am just rebuilding my own 1000G but back to stock (except for a 4 into 1 pipe that was on it.) It had been sitting for years when I bought it back. Stripped carbs and cleaned, replaced bits (intake boots, petcock, coils, fluids), adjusted valve clearances, etc. Now just waiting on air cleaner boots to arrive from Z1 to New Zealand to be able to complete the engine work side. Then new shocks, new rubber and a nice tidy up. Love your work. Cheers, Griff
    Patriots Defence Force MC Club
    '81 GS1000G
    2015 Rocket 3 Touring
    2018 Indian Roadmaster

Instantly recognized the slipping starter clutch. A different sound than the one on my CB1100F but the same result.
    Can you glass pack the muffler or will you have to reconfigure the baffle or just be prudent with the throttle?
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Almost ready for it's maiden Test Ride.. Need to fabricate a left side mirror mount, bleed the rear brake and obtain new license plate registration tabs..

Fabricated a fairing mount & installed the new windscreen. Installed four new mini turn signal lights.. KOSO gauge works.

What a cool bike. About 1030cc? I'm sure you'll keep the 850 badges.
    1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
    1983 GS 1100 G
    2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
    2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
    1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Quote Originally Posted by 1948man View Post
    What a cool bike. About 1030cc? I'm sure you'll keep the 850 badges.
    With the 3.5mm oversize pistons, I think the displacement is at 1099.80cc, rounding up to 1100.. Yup, for sure, I'll keep the 850 body on this bike.. A real sleeper..

So some minor issues.. Like taking two step forward, then one step backwards.. I took the bike for a quick spin. This motor is strong. I found an intake leak on number one carb manifold. Bad O-Ring. Fixed that and now it idles perfectly.

Also, on that quick test ride, I was leaking hypoid gear oil from the secondary gear.. So I removed the swingarm and removed the secondary gear to discover the worn out oil seal... Ordered a new seal. Should be here next week..

Secondary Bevel Gear Drive.

The OIL SEAL, Part # 09283-35018. $12.00

So I received the secondary gear main seal and installed it. Put my bike back together..

Then I took it out for a proper "Shakedown" Test Ride.. About 25 miles.. No leaks. Tracks straight. No wobbles. Handling feels stable.
    Braking is strong with two fingers. Carburation & throttle response feels spot on.
    Motor is strong.. Strong enough to slip the clutch when I "Rip" on the throttle.. I knew this might happen with the original plates, so I have a new set of friction plates to go in, after I do a proper "Break-In", of this motor. I'm thinking another 80 miles and then I'll change the oil and install the new plates.

Now that the "Mechanicals" are done, next up will be the cosmetics. Dent repairs and a paint job.. Yes, it will be Blue..
    Last edited by melchiro; 05-29-2021 at 09:36 AM.

Congrats, Mel.
    I remember reading you are using Gixxer carbs and Dynojet. Just curious on your reasoning for stacks instead of pods?
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Hey Steve, the stacks were always on this set of carbs, so I didn’t change them... I do have a set of K & N, Pod filter on the shelf, for these BST34 “Gixxer” carbs..
    I am thinking of installing the pods, because once this bike is done, I most likely will be riding this GS more, than my other Hondas. The higher bars and the relaxed riding position, is much easier on my 56 year old body..😆😆

Quote Originally Posted by melchiro View Post
    Hey Steve, the stacks were always on this set of carbs, so I didn’t change them... I do have a set of K & N, Pod filter on the shelf, for these BST34 “Gixxer” carbs..
    I am thinking of installing the pods, because once this bike is done, I most likely will be riding this GS more, than my other Hondas. The higher bars and the relaxed riding position, is much easier on my 56 year old body..
    I have been led to believe that no jetting change required between pods and stacks, so I intend to run mine with both based on what I'm doing. Taking it to a meet or show I'll run the stacks for the aesthetics, going on a longer several hundred mile ride or just day to day bopping around town, run the pods for better filtration. I am just now getting my 1000G (bored out to 1085) put back together after having to tear down a sticky clutch and sending the tank and fender out for paint, so yet to test that "no jetting changes required" theory.
    Last edited by nate665; 05-29-2021 at 10:26 AM.