New to me, GS1000GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by melchiro View Post

Also removed the charging rotor.. Used an axle and weight, slide hammer. It's the method I use on my DOHC Honda CB-F bikes.. A couple of slams and popped right off..
    Does your Honda have a roller bearing crank? I'd be hesitant to put a hammering load on the crank bearings, but I'm thinking now I don't know if those bearings are cylindrical or ball bearings.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

C R A P !

I must now split the case.... Pulled the oil pan and found remnants of ball bearing cage. 8 pieces total.. Dam it!

Last edited by melchiro; 01-19-2020, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Found it....

Split the case and look...

The inner bearing on the drive shaft gear..

Here it is.. Must drive the spacer and bearing out..
        Last edited by melchiro; 01-19-2020, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Well, at least you don't have to press the crank apart.
          Dogma
          --
          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

More progress.. Lots of parts purchases.. Used transmission with good bearings.. I could not find the one bearing with the locating pin.
            New oil seal for the transmission and a full engine gasket set. New shift shaft seal.

Installed the new 73.5mm pistons.

Next, the APE Heavy Duty Studs.. They are much bigger.

Cylinder block is on.. I used four big hose clamps to compress the rings and with patience, gently slid the block down.

Finally the head.

I plan on painting the motor at a later time..
            Cam timing is next. Must slot the sprockets.
            Last edited by melchiro; 01-19-2020, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Cam Timing... Fun stuff, not really.. I obtained the numbers I wanted. Slotted the sprockets with my chainsaw file..

Intake open - 34 degrees BTDC. Close - 62 degrees ABDC, which is 104 lobe center.

Exhaust open - 62 degrees BBDC. Close - 30 degrees ATDC, which is 106 lobe center.

A dab of red Loctite on the cam sprocket bolts, and I'm good..

Last edited by melchiro; 01-19-2020, 08:47 PM.

Comment

More stuff to show.. I stripped down the frame and sprayed it black. I also purchase a set of ALL BALLS fork conversion bearings.. I have a complete 1982 GL1100 Goldwing forks with the internals modified and the 18 x 2.5 Comstar wheel, held together with CB900F triples..

It required welding on new steering stops.

Still so much to do.......
                Last edited by melchiro; 01-19-2020, 08:50 PM.

Comment

I just love the ingenuity around here sometimes. The projects really coming along, looking great!
                  Rob
                  1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                  Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Progressing nicely, Mel.
                    What did you do to upgrade the GW forks? Progressive springs?
                    Will this be your first bike with tall handlebars? haha.
                    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks AZR, hopefully, I stay motivated and keep going..

Hey Steve, I did the, "CB1100F.net's," "MARU" mod to the spring and damper rod..
                      Basically, stiffening of the springs and the rebound dampening...

Tall handlebars?? Yes indeed, this will be my SECOND bike that I own, with tall handlebars.. My first was a 1984 VF1100F Sabre, that had the Hondaline fairing.. It was so comfortable on long rides..

Steve, I rode my, "Blue Brute" CBX , this past Sunday. Took it out on a 200 mile ride.. My back is STILL feeling the effects of riding with Superbike Bars !!! This "Getting Old" crap really sucks !!!!! All I could think about was, how nice it would be, to sit more upright and the footpegs farther forward....
                      Last edited by melchiro; 01-19-2020, 08:54 PM.

Comment

We must be related....i swapped the Sportkit bars on the '79 CBX to some Tommaselli adj. clip-ons.
                        Two tanks of gas later the Sportkit bars are going back on.

Thanks for the info on the forks.
                        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I just swapped my online pics, from "Photo-Crap" (Photobucket), to Imgur. I hope that Imgur, stays the way it is.

I updated this thread with pics from Imgur.

Doing this while watching the AFC & NFC Championship games.

I also joined the "Suzuki GS Owners Group", on Facebook.

I'm hoping that this will motivate me, to start this project back up and finish it....

Comment

Welcome back, Mel.
                            I can't even get at some of my photos on Photobucket to transfer them.
                            For the past 4 months or so i have been using Flickr as the hosting site but they have recently started asking for a fee as well.

Hope you get back at the GS.
                            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Wow, almost a year goes by and I didn't do a dam thing with my GS1000G project.. Well, today I brought home a HUGE piece of MOTIVATION, for me.. I purchased a 1982 GS850G, $400.00. Non-Titled.. No biggie, because my 1000G is titled.. I needed the parts...

My original plans were to modify Honda parts, such as tank, footpegs, body panels, etc, to install on the 1000G... SCREW THAT!!!!
                              I'm getting older, with not much time, or motivation to BUILD CRAP from scratch. Weld this up, weld that up, fabricate aluminum plates for this, ETC,

SCREW THAT!!! LOL!!!!

QUESTION to the Experts here.

Will the 1982 GS850G tank, seat, body panels and wiring harness, fit and work on my 1980 GS1000G frame/engine?

Also, will the 850G motor mounts work on my 1000G motor??

I'm going with KOSO Gauges, and a different headlight system, so I'm not worried about that..
                              Anyways, here it is on the trailer and the sellers home.

Comment

No, the '82 model 850/1100 is different from the earlier year bikes in terms of tank, seat, frame.
                                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                                X