Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally decided to introduce myself from Indiana

Hello everyone,

I am not known for my elaborate online introductions. However when the form was having issues and shut down for a couple of days I realized that I have an addiction to this form. The first step of healing an addiction is admitting that you have a problem... Check...

Anyways, without further due here is a quick "Get to know me & my bike"...
    I acquired my 1982 GS650GL over the winter for $500. She was running and driving when I bought her although she had sat for may years. I have been fixing her up mechanically as time goes. As for me.... I believe everything is better when only two wheels are involved. That goes for both on and off road vehicles. I also believe that any day you can ride is a good day.... Oh Yea, I am also a die hard two stroke guy!

My bike after coming home from a ride today.
    If anyone has any questions or comments I will be glad to answer!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 04-12-2015, 10:08 PM.

Warm Welcome

Well, well...

Welcome to the FORUM...and without further ADIEU...thanks for posting a pic of your bike. I'm so glad to read you RIDE your bike and not DRIVE it.

$500 isn't a bad price...I'm more in the $250-$400 range...or should I say $475--that's what I paid for my first 82/750T and $250 for my second.

So, what kind of WORK have you been doing on your bike?

-Carb rebuild
    -Valve Adjustments
    -Brake Rebuild
    -Fork Seals Replacement
    -530 Conversion

You like two-stroke bikes...you've got a four-stroke...do you have another bike to show?

Enjoy your way around the GSR; plenty of helpful people here.

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

There won't be any "530 conversion" on that shafty.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Honest Mistake

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        There won't be any "530 conversion" on that shafty.

Oh sure....correct me when I miss an obvious drive-train! (Hahahaha)

I know you're messin' Steve...good catch. I was throwing in tasks from my experience--Looks like I need to be more observant.

Ed
        Last edited by GSXR7ED; 04-13-2015, 03:07 PM.
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

That's OK, "Red".

I was also wondering about the "introduce myself from Indiana" part, when his location shows "Wisconsin".

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ghost Post

Thanks for humoring me Steve. The writing style caught my attention. I was wondering why there were several views but no replies. Even now, the OP hasn't responded.

Ed
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Thanks for posting and introducing yourself some.
              And thanks for posting picture.
              Looks fairly stock, painted over, but fairly stock.

You might want to do something about that split in the seat.
              If it gets wett, not only will it be a nuisance to you, but will lead to the pan rusting out.

I, too, am wondering Wisc or Indiana.
              If Indiana, how far from Bedford. Will be a bunch of us there in June (see Meetingplace).

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I am going to try and answer all of your questions and concerns.

GSXR7ED

If I had it my way I would have paid less then what I did. However I was without a bike and began daydreaming images of me riding the bike while negotiating on the price. As far as what I have done to it so far... New speedo, new speedo cable, drilled out and ran tap through stripped engine mount, new brakes, cleaned and inspected calipers, installing new clutch tomorrow, valve job is on the list..... I have not messed with the carbs. The bike runs ok as it is but a full air leak check on the air box/ boots/ etc is on the board. As far as the fork seals go, the rubber is still flexible.. However I wouldn't mind rebuilding them in the near future. I realize that my GS is a 4 stroke.... My dirtbikes have always been 2 strokes. My current dirtbike is an 01 RM250. It is the one in the background of my previous post.

Steve

As far as why my location says Wisconsin whereas I posted "Finally decided to introduce myself from Indiana" the reason is simple. I was working in Wisconsin for about six months and have since moved back to Indiana. I will update my location as soon as I have a chance.

Redman

The bike is pretty much stock besides the paint and mirrors. No one has butchered the wiring, etc.
                As far as the rip in the seat goes. . . ... Well lets just say that I had contemplated purchasing a new cover for the seat.... Only to realize that the pan is completely shot!! haha

I live around South Bend Indiana. I have read up on the Bedford ride and plan on attending if I am still in Indiana.

Also another thing... Sometimes I can only get on the forum once a day so if I don't respond right away.... rest and know that I will eventually respond.
                Last edited by Guest; 04-14-2015, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Reasons

Hey gunnerkc,

Good to hear from you. At times, we're pretty quick responders on these forums. Good thing you don't take offense.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to each of us. There's always an explanation.

Ed
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by gunnerkc View Post
                    I live around South Bend Indiana. I have read up on the Bedford ride and plan on attending if I am still in Indiana...
                    Are some GSR members in the Valpo area that usally head down early morning on the Thursday.
                    I probably will be passing by later in the morning.
                    If you are available and decide to go, we can coordinate. (even if site motel is full, there is another small inexpensive place just a block away.)

THanks again for introducing yourself.

>>>>later note
                    okay, I was going to ask, but just now figured it out.
                    THe red and black thing on back of bike... oh, that is a helmet, more of a dirtbike style helmet with the big visor, oh, okay.

Last edited by Redman; 04-14-2015, 12:45 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

South Bend, and Valpo GS riders?!? We will have to try and coordinate a meet & greet ride of some sort. I would definitely be up for meeting somewhere on the way down to Bedford. That is if the wife doesn't go. If she does I will be trailering...
                      '83 GS 1100T
                      The Jet

sigpic
                      '95 GSXR 750w
                      The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

I appreciate the speed of responses on this forum.
                        I am very interested in all local rides. I ride my bike every chance I get.

Redman
                        When I know if I will be around Indiana during the time of the rally I will let you know.

Comment

Working...
                        X