Anybody have a pilot jet retainer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody have a pilot jet retainer?

Working on rebuilding my 850 carbs. The retainer that holds the pilot jet housing was rusty. Of course I thought to myself I'll just run it across the wire wheel real quick and get rid of all that rust. Put the thing in a pliers and went to touch the wire wheel and poing!! It shot across the garage like a rocket. Couldn't keep my eye on it. Ya I know duhhhh!!! nyway wondering if anyone has some ols ones lying around they'd like to sell.

thanks for your time!!!

"The retainer that holds the pilot jet housing".

As many carbs as I have rebuilt, I just can't picture what you are talking about.

The pilot air jet screws into the intake of the carb, at about the 8 o'clock position.

The pilot fuel jet screws into a post that is part of the carb body, right next to the main jet.

There is really no "housing" that has a "retainer".

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'm at a loss too. Assuming there is one on each carb, do you have a picture of one?

Comment

Rubber plug with rust?
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

That's a possibility, Chef, but it doesn't really "retain" the pilot jet. The jet screws in.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Is it bigger than a bread basket?
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Can you give us an item number? (I know it's not the best picture, but ...)

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                "The retainer that holds the pilot jet housing".

As many carbs as I have rebuilt, I just can't picture what you are talking about.

The pilot air jet screws into the intake of the carb, at about the 8 o'clock position.

The pilot fuel jet screws into a post that is part of the carb body, right next to the main jet.

There is really no "housing" that has a "retainer".

Maybe he is talking about the choke?

Comment

sounds like it might be the plate that holds the needle valve in # 47, just a guess ?

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                    Is it bigger than a bread basket?
                    Only if you have gargantuan pliers.

Comment

Originally posted by tbirdhd View Post
                      sounds like it might be the plate that holds the needle valve in # 47, just a guess ?
                      Yes, thats got to be it!

Comment

Originally posted by tbirdhd View Post
                        Originally posted by helmutholderbenz View Post
                        Yes, thats got to be it!
                        That is the only thing I can think it might be to.

Comment

We will never know until the OP finally comes back to read this.

Yet another newbie that is not accustomed to an ACTIVE forum.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Sorry guys just able to get back on here. Tbirdhd is right it was the needle housing but I ordered some last night after visiting a few sites. Not sure if I should start a new thread. But according to the chart I have I should have 42.5 pilot jets and 115 mains. The pilot is 45 and the main is 122.5??? The #'s are hard to see. Not sure if the po had pods or what. I am running a stock air box but have a 4 into 1 exhaust. I guess I need to order all new jets???
                            Last edited by Guest; 04-13-2015, 10:23 PM.

Comment

According to my chart, there were two jetting situations on the '80 850. One had #40 pilot fuel jets and #180 pilot air jets, the other one had #42.5 fuel and #200 air. Both of them had 115 main jets.

Even with a 4-into-1 pipe, stock pilot jets are fine, at 40 or 42.5. Your mains will depend on how free-flowing the pipe is. I have not done any jetting checks on my bike since I put the pipe on, but I transferred the pipe and the jets from my son's 850 before we sold it, so it should be close. I am running the stock airbox (with a K&N insert) and a quiet pipe (you can read that as "restrictive") and 125 mains. I don't remember for sure which pilot jets I have, but I think they are the 40/180 setup.

You might be able to get by with your current jets. With a stock 40 or 42.5 pilot jet, we will set the mixture screws out between 2 and 3 turns. With your 45s, you might need a half-turn or so, certainly not as much as the rest of us.

Try it first. Do some "plug chops" to see what your spark plugs are telling you, then make any adjustments.

sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                              X