X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
    And what's wrong with yellow?

Done properly, it doesn't even look all that bad on a BIG bike.

It is certainly VISIBLE.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
      It's been a while since a touched a GS so I may be askng a few questions your way. I look forward to working with you all on this.
      Just so you know, ... we know of a GREAT forum that knows ALL ABOUT these bikes. You need the address?

sigpic
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

That would be a cool demonstrator of sensible mods and updates - the kind of things most owners would be interested in doing to their own bikes to keep them reliable and safe. Nothing one-off and expensive though; keep it in reach.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          Count me in!
          Then again, I've seen Mr. Ratley. You may not want to disturb those plugs.
          Yeah, well..... I was thinking of throwing in a 55 gall drum of PB Blaster.
          Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
          80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Done properly, it doesn't even look all that bad on a BIG bike.

It is certainly VISIBLE.

That is a honking big visible bike!
            -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

There is a Canadian version, too.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride

Comment

There is a Canadian version, too.

That's pretty good......you're a funny guy Steve...
                -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Canada is where we get all our comedians.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                    That would be a cool demonstrator of sensible mods and updates - the kind of things most owners would be interested in doing to their own bikes to keep them reliable and safe. Nothing one-off and expensive though; keep it in reach.
                    I tend to be a guy who likes to keep things mainly stock but with an eye towards mods that enhance rideability or performance. Tassels hanging off the bar ends just doesn't do it for me.

The interesting part in all this is seeing what's out there in terms of parts nowadays.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
                      The interesting part in all this is seeing what's out there in terms of parts nowadays.
                      I just did a lot of "updating" on my 850G(K), and found quite a few things that enhance driveability, but are not visible. I have also updated ALL the lights to LEDs, the only one that is really obvious to a casual onlooker is the headlight, the rest of them just work "better".

Not sure what kind of pattern the stock headlight throws, but if you are interested in a Hella replacement, let me know. That light was almost as good as the light in my Wing, but the LED replacement is FAR better, so the Hella will be available.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

I just did a lot of "updating" on my 850G(K), and found quite a few things that enhance driveability, but are not visible. I have also updated ALL the lights to LEDs, the only one that is really obvious to a casual onlooker is the headlight, the rest of them just work "better".

Not sure what kind of pattern the stock headlight throws, but if you are interested in a Hella replacement, let me know. That light was almost as good as the light in my Wing, but the LED replacement is FAR better, so the Hella will be available.

Steve, we'll be talking...

Frank

Comment

Well, all of the paintable parts are off and the hardware removed from them EXCEPT.....I can't figure out how to get the damn headlight out of the fairing. Clymer and I believe the owner's manual says you remove the retaining nuts from the headlight bracket. But I can't find any such nuts. Here is a shot through the turn signal opening.

Here is a little closer look in the hole. That nut you see (there is one on each side) is actually soldered to a retaining bracket; that screw has to come out from the other side.

My fairing has two screws on the underside that definitely secure the headlight assembly. But I have removed those and I still can't get anything to even wiggle.

As soon as I get the light out it is off to the paint shop.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

I have not worked on a GK fairing, but I will venture a guess that you have to remove the headlight from the bucket to access the hardware inside the bucket.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

I have not worked on a GK fairing, but I will venture a guess that you have to remove the headlight from the bucket to access the hardware inside the bucket.

That is what I am trying to do. There is no way to access any screws or nuts from the front. You have to be able to slide the assembly forward to remove the metal trim around the headlight. The only screw accessible from the front is the horizontal adjustment screw.

Nature bats last.

Comment

Looking at the "Headlight" parts fiche and your pictures (especially the second one), it appears that the bucket is held to the fairing by the two bolts on top. One of them is concentric with the adjuster knob, the other is just to the right of that.

Again, just guessing.

sigpic
                                Family Portrait
                                Siblings and Spouses
                                Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                                X