Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I finally got the headlight out of the fairing but I still don't understand why what I did worked.

Anyway, here are all the parts to be painted. Way more work than I planned to get everything off and apart. But I've been dealing with old motorcycles long enough to know that is normal. If it weren't for denial I would never be able to start a project. The next time you see these parts they will be Corvette yellow and without badging.

Here is what is didn't go to the painter--a truly naked motorcycle. This is what I will be hauling up to Franks on the trailer with the newly painted parts in the truck securely bubble wrapped. The paint shop said a week. We will see.

Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
    80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Wow......Mr. Ratly is aptly named.....At least in the cosmetics department anyway. I can relate
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I've been doing a rebuild on a 1982 GS1100GK myself. I will be putting the final drive assembly back on shortly and then all my painted parts. the front fairing was trashed, but I have a Windjammer 5 that I will be putting on it. Can't wait to see how it this one turns out.

Comment

Mr. Ratley has a long GSR history. I purchased him as a pretty much stock brown GK from a GSR forum member (no longer on the site) in upstate New York back in 2003. The main thing about it that wasn't stock was the exhaust which may have been from a different model GS. It worked fine but the pipes didn't allow the centerstand to quite come to the full up position (a key part of the plot). The first ride I took on it was from Canada to Florida in less than 24 hours as a certified Iron Butt ride. I wrote about it on the site at the time.

Do you have a great road adventure that you would like to share? How about a bike repair gone bad? Put your story here and share it with the rest of us.

A month or so after I bought it I took a trip on it to a military reunion in Las Vegas that started out with another 1100+ mile day though this time not recorded for Iron Butt. On my third day out the stator burned out in the desert north of Phoenix and I had to limp into Vegas at dusk without lights keeping charge barely in the green (luckily had charge meter installed) by closely maintaining a narrow rpm range. Once in Vegas I put out a help call and Billy Ricks responded with the name of a former GSR member and mechanic who lived in the area. I got a new stator and r/r fedexed and we got everything replaced in time for my ride back.

Then the following year leading a GSR ride down in the Ocala forest area the bike and I came upon an unmarked curve and had to lean it way over until the centerstand (see paragraph 1) dug in. I got highsided and the bike did a series of end-overs, pirouettes, and half-gainers for couple hundred feet more down the roadside.

Interestingly, starting with that crash, the bike that had seemed to have an issue on every long ride became the most reliable mount in the stable always taking me from point A to point B any time is was called upon including carrying me back home immediately after the crash.

I then began accumulating the various parts damaged in the crash.

The trunk I picked up from WillT at the first GSR 'convention' at a state park on the Missouri-Arkansas border south of Branson. He had ridden a GK and had to take it to a shop with I believe an electrical problem. While there he saw a Moto Guzzi he liked and traded in the GK on the spot. Luckily for me had taken the box off the GK before he rode to the shop. I did not have room for it on the 850 I had ridden there, but fortunately Scotty (aka Slowpoke, aka many others) had trailered so he got the box back to Florida for me.

The exhaust and a flat G model seat were shipped to me from Planecrazy in Chicago. I then bought a running but rough GK from Miss Fab in upstate New York. I rode mine to a GSR ride she held and there switched the brackets and bags. A year or two later Mark Harrop was looking for an 1100 engine and I told him he could have the one in NY for nothing if he moved the rest of the bike down to me which he did. later on Wazz was parting out a GK and I got the tank from him.

My original intention was to get the bike painted a solid color once everything was replaced. But when I looked at all the pieces with their attached stories I realized that what I had was a rat bike but not just any rat bike--one with tales to tell and a lot of class. Hence, Mr Ratley was christened.

I doubt there is any other machine that has been touched by as many GSR members as Mr Ratley has so far. By the time we finish this project there should be many more members involved. It will truly be the GS Resources GS.
          Last edited by dpep; 04-24-2015, 11:35 AM.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Now THAT, is a story... I will await the "official" Yellow Frank thread, and watch intently. If somewhere along the way I can help in any way, I most certainly will... Be it parts or even possibly (though not likely due to location) labor...
            '83 GS 1100T
            The Jet

sigpic
            '95 GSXR 750w
            The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Don,

Sorry, I didn't see this sooner. I too had difficulty removing headlight assmby from fairing. If I thought hard enough I might have remembered whjat the trick was. I think it had to do with disassembling that adjuster mechanism ......

Interesting to read the entire history of Mr Ratley. (I had known only parts of it.)
              Yes. Lots of GSR members involved.
              You have meet many GSR members. You may be the one of the ones who has gone to many GSR rallys across the country.

In my 12 years of being interested in GKs I have seen pics of a few GKs that have been painted.
              My observation is that even if they are a dark color or a brite color, even if they are shiney glossy or matt finish, ... that is a big bike, lots of big areas to be a solid color. And some pin stripping seems to help. Again, just my observation.

I do have some GK specific parts if the project needs.

I could contribute to the project by purchasing the side panel emblems FROM the project. (you said it was going to be badgeless).

Dave
              Last edited by Redman; 04-24-2015, 06:25 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I've subscribed to the thread. Will be interesting to see it come together. Nice story. Really sorry you didn't make it to our rally last fall in Cranbrook B.C. Valiant try on your part!

cg
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g
                2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Yup, I am now on board.

V
                  Gustov
                  80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                  81 GS 1000 G
                  79 GS 850 G
                  81 GS 850 L
                  83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                  80 GS 550 L
                  86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                  2002 Honda 919
                  2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Me too. Great idea and story, very cool!
                    ----------------------------------------------------------------
                    2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Don, thanks for the story. I love hearing about the history of this place.
                      sigpic
                      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                      -Rusty old scooter.
                      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
                        ...........and the bike did a series of end-overs, pirouettes, and half-gainers for couple hundred feet more down the roadside.
                        With that gymnastics, it seems that the GK would be completely dee-Kayed.
                        I wonder What all did you have to replace. You mentioned the trunk and the tank.

>>later.
                        And did mention the bags.
                        Last edited by Redman; 04-25-2015, 09:30 AM.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

With that level of gymnastic ability, maybe it should be Ms. Ratley. Ms. Olga Ratley.
                          1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                          1983 GS 1100 G
                          2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                          2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                          1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
                            .... gymnastic ability, ....
                            hum... Don dpep made moto-cross, ballet and diving references. I made the gymnastic reference.

And to think that he observed the GK doing all this while he must have been doing somewhat similar himself.

Last edited by Redman; 04-25-2015, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                              With that gymnastics, it seems that the GK would be completely dee-Kayed.
                              I wonder What all did you have to replace. You mentioned the trunk and the tank.

>>later.
                              And did mention the bags.
                              Every visible piece of plastic but the fairing, the windshield of course. the saddle bag brackets, the gas tank. Amazingly the frame and drive train escaped pretty much unscathed. As I remember I only had to replace the triple tree and handlebars. I mentioned that I finished the ride and rode the bike home after the crash (100+) miles. I think all the plastic may have saved other damage by taking the initial impact(s). Also, the tumble path was across grass covered north Florida sandy soil, not pavement.

Nature bats last.

Comment

In my 12 years of being interested in GKs I have seen pics of a few GKs that have been painted.
                                My observation is that even if they are a dark color or a brite color, even if they are shiney glossy or matt finish, ... that is a big bike, lots of big areas to be a solid color. And some pin stripping seems to help. Again, just my observation.
                                I envisioned that some pin striping and/or lettering might be part of the looks but those are the kind of details that I figure will be decided by Frank and the forum participants as the project progresses. I am just having done the big paint job that requires the pieces be removed from the bike.

I could contribute to the project by purchasing the side panel emblems FROM the project. (you said it was going to be badgeless).
                                I am going to hand all of the badging over to Frank in case he decides either in this project or later to remount it. My personal rule of thumb is if the bike is being painted back to original the badging stays but if it is to a different color or look it doesn't. But there are exceptions and again in this case it is not for me to decide. Let me look about though; I may have badging removed from the damaged pieces. If so you will have first dibs.

Nature bats last.

Comment

Working...
                                X