Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New(ish) Vancouver Owner; Thanks for the Info

Hello All,

I picked up this '78 GS750E last summer but a new wife, house and now baby kept me out of the garage this winter.

I did manage to get it around the block a few times and the PO had been riding it before I found it, neglected on the street. So at least it hasn't been sitting for decades. Lots of cleaning to do, although I'm not sure I'm up to the level of cosmetic repair I've seen elsewhere around here!

Thanks to this site, I've been working my way through the "new-to-you" checklist. I'm grateful for the "newbie mistakes to avoid" list as well. So far, the carbs have been fully cleaned and rebuilt with new o-rings and gaskets. New viton (thanks Robert) are in place on the intake boots. How do you think these would've worked?

The airbox is next and I'm about to place my shim order following some valve measurements last weekend. There are lots of things I'd like to clean up but I don't want to sink too much effort into this before I know it's got some life left. Think this is anything to worry about?

I'll keep you updated as to how it's going. The list continues to grow and I'm sure there will be lots of questions along the way. This site has been a great resource so far and I look forward to learning enough to contribute.

Cheers,

Jay

A 30 yo bike takes me about 3 years to get it where I want it. Enjoy the journey and disregard the expenses of your hobby.
    Hondas
    '73 ATC70 '85 XL125S '02 XR650L
    Suzuki
    '83 gs750t vin#551 '97 DR650
    Kaw
    '89 KLR650

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
      This site has been a great resource
      Welcome ! Yes, all the knowledge is here to get that bike back on the road and the GSR members in your neck of the woods seem like some stand-up guys.
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

another nice survivor
        well except for the liberties taken with the seat

Comment

That oil leak 'could' be your head gasket, you'll know once you start it up. Give the engine a good clean before you start running it so you can see where the leaks are actually coming from. Looks like a pretty nice bike to start with. Plenty of GS members in the Vancouver area and Modern Motorcycle is always a good 'interesting' place to visit for parts.
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Yes, welcome. When you get it sorted, come join us at the PNW rally, see the meetingplace.

V
            Gustov
            80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
            81 GS 1000 G
            79 GS 850 G
            81 GS 850 L
            83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
            80 GS 550 L
            86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
            2002 Honda 919
            2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Hello and welcome Jay, nice looking bike.

My workshop is in East Van, actually Railtown, so if you need any help or advice, drop me a PM and I'll see what I can do to help.

Cheers,

David
              2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
              2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
              1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
              2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
              1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
              1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
              1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
              Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the welcome.

yasser - I'm not sure I can fully disregard the expense but it's probably best not to dwell on it.

jeeprusty - the liberties with the seat aren't nearly as offensive to me as the mini-ape hangers (chimp-hangers?) and mis-matched mirrors.

azr - I'll clean it up and see what happens. Thanks for the tip on Modern Motorcycling; it seemed like a well-stocked place.

gustovh - I'm not sure I'll make the rally; my weekends are pretty well spoken for these days. Thanks for the invite though; I'll keep an eye on the meetingplace.

Kiwi Canuck - I'll shoot you a PM; I'll be looking for some carb syncing advice in the next few weeks

Comment

Jay,

I have a Morgan CarbTune you can use for you synch. I even have a set of bars that are off a G, a 650G, but they might fit, and would be a fair sight better than what you have on there. I also have at least one spare shim and a shim tool kicking around, should you just need one to inventory yours.
                  '83 GS650G
                  '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Hey Big_D,

I picked up a couple of shims and some new bars on the weekend - Superbike, for what it's worth. The shims swapped easily with the zip-tie method and the cables work with the new bars (with a bit of finagling).

I'd love to borrow your CarbTune though - I'll drop you a PM to get in touch.

Thanks,

Jay

Comment

How's the work on the carbs coming along, Jay?

I know it must be tough with the baby in the house, but there have been some absolutely stunning riding days over the last couple of weekends. It'd be a shame to not get out and use them.
                      '83 GS650G

Comment

And Another One...

So I did it again - I need to stay off Craigslist!

A 1979 GS850G. The photos are from the CL ad but capture things pretty well. In better shape that my 750 but in pieces. The PO had planned a cleanup of a bike that he'd had since '94 but stuff happens...

The parts are all there and as we talked, things kept getting thrown on the pile. Windshield. Rear rack. Sissy-bar. Motorcycle lift. Mercury carb-sync tool. Morgan color tune. Manual impact driver. Spare shims (and tool). The majority of a gasket set. Tank lining kit (red flag there, I know). Manuals (Owners, Factory Service and Clymer) And he was just a few blocks away so he drove it all over for me!

I was initially thinking "Great - an 850 block for the 750" but man, why not get them both running? I've got some Vetter hard-bags that I pulled from the 750 that would turn this into a pretty sweet touring rig.

I see how this M/C acquisition affliction gets started...

Jay

Comment

I sold one identical in Kelowna in 1994; could be. ?? It has that Okanagan Valley dry look to it rather than the Vancouver exhaust and algae coating. 850s are just too useful to part out or wreck unless it's definitely too late.

It should have the 12 pole stator; if you need one, I have a nice one I don't have a use for as my bikes are 18 pole.
                          '82 GS450T

Comment

Oh, Jay...there's no turning back now.
                            '83 GS650G

Comment

Working...
                            X