Cracked cross member on frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cracked cross member on frame

I accidentally noticed there is a very clear crack where the tree stand mount is. It is a cross member and part of the structural integrity of the frame. If it breaks, it will warp the frame. Can it be welded without removing the motor? I can reach it by hand.

I would say "weld it", but am curious where the "tree stand mount" is.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      I would say "weld it", but am curious where the "tree stand mount" is.

Steering head?
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Cracked tree stand... I wouldn't worry about it till next Christmas. Just joking of course. I would like more information to make sure mine is not also cracked...
        Last edited by storm 64; 04-15-2015, 01:38 PM.
        My Motorcycles:
        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
        79 1000e (all original)
        82 850g (all original)
        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

I think it is fortunate that you "accidentally noticed" the crack.... that could have been disastrous if it had came undone while riding.
          1978 GS1000E
          1980 GS1000S (Wes Cooley Replica)
          1981 GS1100E
          1982 GS1100E
          1982 GS1000SZ
          1983 GS1100ED
          1983 GS1100ESD
          1978 Honda CB750K
          1981 Honda CB900F

Comment

I would say that this thread in "Worthless without pictures"

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
              I would say that this thread in "Worthless without pictures"

Will be back in a few minutes

Comment

Here it is:

can that be welded where it is, or do I need to remove the engine?

Comment

I think it is fortunate that you "accidentally noticed" the crack.... that could have been disastrous if it had came undone while riding.
                  Me too. I was actually looking for where the wires plugged into the stator when I noticed it.

I hit a very deep pothole (at 2 a.m.) about two weeks ago. I was sure I knocked something loose. I didn't see it then.

Comment

Hopefully the pothole did not do the damage. If it did, I'd be checking the rims, too.

The crack is easy enough to see, but I am having difficulty picturing just where that is.

The engine is easy to see, it looks like it might need to come out to get access to the back side of the crack.

However, I am NOT a welder, and don't know if a good welder has those limitations.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sorry for the "tree stand" comment - I don't know why I call it that ... I just do. It's the center stand.

Comment

I'd have a closer look and maybe tap around that area with a wrench or small hammer to check that the frame didn't crack due to internal rusting. Looks like more than a simple crack ....sure hope I'm wrong.
                        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          Hopefully the pothole did not do the damage. If it did, I'd be checking the rims, too.

The crack is easy enough to see, but I am having difficulty picturing just where that is.

The engine is easy to see, it looks like it might need to come out to get access to the back side of the crack.

However, I am NOT a welder, and don't know if a good welder has those limitations.

If it is on a lift, a welder can reach it without engine removal. But, I don't have a lift.

Comment

((sighs)) I have another parts bike that is rust free - I really don't want to do a transfer on to it ... plus, changing the title.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                              I'd have a closer look and maybe tap around that area with a wrench or small hammer to check that the frame didn't crack due to internal rusting. Looks like more than a simple crack ....sure hope I'm wrong.
                              yes, it is internal rusting, but looks (and appears and feels) to be that area. It is a hollow steel tube.

Comment

Working...
                              X