Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carb sync tools - what's better, the cheap gauge model or Motion Pro fluid type?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb sync tools - what's better, the cheap gauge model or Motion Pro fluid type?

I've been syncing carbs enough lately that I want a real sync tool. The DIY bottles with stopper manometer I made works ok, but it's bulky, messy and a pain. I'm looking at one of the 2 of these on Amazon. Opinions and if you have one or the other your feedback/experience is appreciated.

Saw that Growler has what looks like this one, $73.50, 83 reviews, 4.4 star rating and I like that it has a case and needs no fluid:

Vacuum Carburetor Synchronizer Carb Sync Gauge Cb Gs Kz 550 650 750

by alphamoto

Vs. the Motion Pro fluid type @ $73, 108 reviews, 4 star rated, although I worry about spilling fluid and needing to buy more:

Motion Pro 08-0411 Syncpro Carburetor Tuner

by Motion Pro

----------------------------------------------------------------
    2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Mike do yourself a HUGE favor and get a Carbtune http://www.carbtune.com/ .Well worth the few extra $$ you have to spend.Get the pouch while you're at it.Had a few hoops to jump though to get mine but it was worth it!Have a old set of mercury Motion Pro that where the standard when I bought them,they'll sit unused now.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-15-2015, 10:08 PM.

Comment

I appreciate the input!

I've looked at the Morgan before and granted it is only a little bit more (25%) maybe I should just go for that...has anyone used all three or the Morgan Carbtune and perhaps one of the other two choices?
      2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

I've used the Motion Pro (blue fluid one) and can't recommend it. You have to pay a lot of attention not to suck in any fluid and it's still very prone to bubbles. Constant frustration. Tried to drain and re-fill and it's just too finicky. I am much, much happier with the Morgan. Though I will say I like the brass taps better than the Morgan's plastic ones. Bought some of those on eBay for $7 or so.

My $0.02. I've seen people say they were cool with the Motion Pro, and logically it should be more sensitive/precise. Just too high strung for me.

Comment

Thanks Mike, I've read about the bubbles and the need to "calibrate" and little nuisances like it needs to be stored vertically... I bought some brass adapters at Z1 so I'm good there.

The gauges on the generic looking Alphamoto look pretty cheap but possibly replaceable and it apparently needs to be zeroed before use and have to have the in line restrictors in a certain spot to help eliminate the needle flutter the reviews are pretty darn good but wonder what people here who have it think.

So that's 2 votes for the Carbtune and 1 against the Motion Pro. Maybe I should have done this as a poll

Comment

Carbtune...............and while you're at it get the adjusting screwdriver if you don't have one already, a god sent. I also make good use of my colourtune as well. Look on their website, lots of times they've got a package deal.
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
              Carbtune...............and while you're at it get the adjusting screwdriver if you don't have one already, a god sent. I also make good use of my colourtune as well. Look on their website, lots of times they've got a package deal.
              I was going to get one of those but instead I decided to make an auxiliary fuel tank so I could get to the mixtures screws with just a normal screwdriver. It's easier for me.

Comment

I can tell you from experience. I used a long screw driver and a wrench for a long time and finally bought one of the adjustment screwdrivers....best money I ever spent. Night and day difference, it's soooooo easy to adjust now.
                Rob
                1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Thanks azr - I have the Motion Pro adjuster, truly a needed tool for this. Not sure who copied who...they're both and black handled screwdrivers.

The Colourtune would be a nice tool for fine tuning too! One day. Gotta finish up a couple friends bikes and a few of my own before I can justify the cost however!

Comment

I have used them all, and currently own:
                    - Motion Pro with the blue liquid
                    - Mercury sticks with SIX columns
                    - Official Suzuki carb sync gauge
                    - Morgan Carbtune

Got the mercury sticks back in '79 for my KZ1300.
                    The Motion Pro was given to me a few years ago because it leaked. (Turns out the case is cracked.)
                    Got the Suzuki gauge from a member here, mainly to answer the question "how much is half a ball?"
                    Got the Carbtune about a month ago from a departing member.

Although I have only used my Carbtune once, I have used several others in my years of travelling and helping other GSers. It is a great unit, highly-recommended for its portability and ease of use. Many have complained about the "plastic" (glass-reinforced nylon) adapters, I have not tried them yet, I used my brass ones.

I have used similar Motion Pro units before, was not pleased with the need to be so careful with it. It almost requires more care than my mercury sticks. I tried once to repair the cracked case, it's not worth the effort to try it again.

The Suzuki gauge is nice, but has to be calibrated every time you use it, much like the analog gauges do. I mainly have it to answer that "half a ball" question from the manual. ("Half a ball" = 2cmHg)

The mercury sticks are still the standard against which all the others are calibrated. Yeah the mercury is a hazard, but it still works the best. However, factoring in that safety issue, I will probably using the Carbtune from now on.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve - I had hoped you'd be along eventually. I have read several of your posts about the center cylinders being adjusted differently and I have to admit I think you're in to something there, coincidence that the crossover appeared at the same time... I bet not.

Either way, with your experience and plethora of sync tools in your arsenal, unless I hear compelling arguments/supporting evidence to the contrary, sounds like I am ponying up the extra dough for the Carbtune.

Glad I asked and glad you all chimed in, starting with SVSooke the Carbtune, even though it wasn't even in my original shopping cart, is the winner by a landslide. I'll do the currency conversion on the carbine website, but I did find a USA seller that ships from California for $106 + $9 shipping, seems like the way to go.

Edit - it's cheaper to buy it direct from Morgan: $115 on eBay + $25 for the case in the US vs.$102.36 direct for both straight from Morgan, a savings of about $38, so I'll just have to be patient and wait for it to come across the Atlantic...

Plus I found this link right on the Carbtune website, pointing to our very Brian Wringer's page about the Color and Carbtune on a GS! Pretty cool, I'd been there before, but never right from the Carbtune site.
                      Last edited by mikerophone; 04-16-2015, 12:39 AM. Reason: Changes

Comment

You won't have to wait very long, based on reports I have heard.

Might only take a week.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I love the carbtune. Its the only one I've ever used but as a total new it was nice having one that I didn't have to watch and calibrate during.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          You won't have to wait very long, based on reports I have heard.

Might only take a week.

They say 13 business days, 3 for them to ship and 10 for it to cross the pond.

Apparently when I ordered there was a slowdown that happens every so often.

I ordered Mar 7th (a Saturday) arrived Mar 26th.

Comment

It was only about a week to get it for me to so I wouldn't let that stand in my way from ordering direct.I my case it probably would have taken longer to get it from the US.

Comment

I've seen reports of them coming in as few as 7 days all the way to California, and I am glad to hear yours only took about a week too...either way it sounds to be more than worth the wait. Thanks again all!

Comment

Working...
                              X