Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carb sync tools - what's better, the cheap gauge model or Motion Pro fluid type?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crankthat View Post
    Bought a unit from E-bay a few months ago.
    It is one vacuum gauge hooked up to a manifold.
    If you have ever watched a carb sync done with a 4-gauge setup (that includes the 4-column liquid ones), you should have noticed that when you turn one sync screw, the level changes on all four.

If you use a single gauge (as pictured) with multiple valves, your fingers will be worn raw with all the valve turning that you will have to do. Lets say that you look at #3 (the master carb on a set of BS carbs) and see a reading of "10". You then look at #2 and see "15", so you turn the sync screw until it also reads "10". However, if you go back an look at #3, it will no longer read "10", so you will have to note its reading, then go back and adjust #2 to match. It will take several attempts to get those two carbs to agree with each other.

Then you proceed with #1.

You finally get to do #4.

You may think "once #2 and #3 agree with each other, nothing else will change that", but you will be wrong.

Using a 4-gauge setup, I could do a full carb sync, remove the adapters and be half-way around the block before you got the first two carbs to agree with each other.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
    X