Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carb sync tools - what's better, the cheap gauge model or Motion Pro fluid type?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am using the analog gauges because they were loaned to me from a friend. They do the job, but I'd go with the Carbtune if I was purchasing one.

Comment

Since 1987 I have been using the same 4 gauge Motion Pro set of vacuum gauges. I have had ZERO issues with this tool in the 28 years I have had it!
      Ray.

Comment

Thanks growler.

Ray - are yours the type they sell now? Fluid filled?

Since we can't use mercury anymore, fluid, in theory, should be more sensitive although the Carbtune must be sensitive enough.
        ----------------------------------------------------------------
        2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

I got the impression that he is using the same type that growler showed, ANALOG gauges, with needles.

Who said we can't use mercury? Used RESPONSIBLY, it works just fine, thank you very much.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have the old Motion Pro that uses mercury and the new one because the mercury one fell down and dumped the mercury out. I wish I could buy mercury to refill it, the thing is much easier to use then the new one with the blue toilet water in it. Ill get by with it but I couldn't recommend anyone to buy it. Its not too bad once you get used to it but I liked the old one a lot better

Comment

If you're considering buying the colortune and you have CV carbs then forget it. They don't work as well on the CV's for fine tuning. If you're using them on VM carbs then go for it. As for the sync tool, I went with the carbtune and never looked back. Work great and you can't spill any fluid.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I made my own years ago seems to work OK, Mike
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Katarat View Post
                  I have the old Motion Pro that uses mercury and the new one because the mercury one fell down and dumped the mercury out. ... Its not too bad once you get used to it but I liked the old one a lot better
                  I had the 'pleasure' of using a Motion Pro mercury unit once. That silly flap over the reservoir seemed to open if you looked at it with anything more than a stern glare. I hesitate to mention that the device even exists, and would certainly NOT recommend buying or using one.

I don't remember the brand on the mercury gauges that I have, it's not one of the major names that everyone would recognize, but it has served me well since I bought it in 1979.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have used three different types, gauges, fluid, and the Morgan carbtune. The carbtune is the best of the three. It's a little more expensive but the best value.

Comment

Originally posted by mikerophone View Post

The gauges on the generic looking Alphamoto look pretty cheap but possibly replaceable and it apparently needs to be zeroed before use and have to have the in line restrictors in a certain spot to help eliminate the needle flutter the reviews are pretty darn good but wonder what people here who have it think.
                      I was using dial gauge types for years and once familiar with them, found them to be no problem at all. I was pleased to find they still worked great when I dragged them out to match up the carbs on the XS recently. I always regarded the fluid type as a load of troublesome antiquated nonsense.
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I had the mercury filled Motion Pro units. After spilling the mercury twice I went out and purchased the Morgan Carb Tune. Much more compact then the fluid filled units and I don't have to do a calibration every time I use it.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                          I had the mercury filled Motion Pro units. After spilling the mercury twice I went out and purchased the Morgan Carb Tune. Much more compact then the fluid filled units and I don't have to do a calibration every time I use it.
                          Be interesting to find out how the Carbtune factory calibration holds up over the years. A simple single-point common vacuum feed would do, exactly the same as calibrating gauges. Assuming wear and tear, I don't believe for an instant that Carbtunes will remain in faithful calibration for years on end.
                          <edit>
                          Worthwhile pointing out that every time I checked my dial gauges, they hadn't drifted off. After setting them once, shortly after purchase, they've not needed re-adjustment. Otoh, one cannot take anything for granted, and the cheap dial gauges I see now don't fill me with any great confidence. If I were buying gauges again, I'd take a serious look at the Carbtune, simply because it's just so damned simple, with nothing much to go awry.
                          Last edited by Grimly; 04-20-2015, 08:37 PM.
                          ---- Dave
                          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I found the liquid gauges fairly useless, but I may have just bought the wrong brand. I could never rev up the motor without the fluid getting sucked into the carbs; I finaly read the instructions and it stated not to operate over 1500RPM, which is not adequate.

I ended up making one out of a analog dial vacuum gauge, but found the needle skipped too much for an accurate reading. To fix this I put an large truck fuel filter inline before the gauge, and now the needle barely wobbles. That, some vacuum tubing, and a few rubber tipped clamps is all it takes. Total cost about $40. It's a little bulky, but it works like a charm.

Comment

I have both the Emgo 4 dial gauge set up and the Morgan Carbtune When I got the carbtune, I out it on a bike I had done previously with the Emgo set up and they were pretty darn close already. the Carbtune is a lot more sensitive...such as the actual weight of pushing the screw driver on the adjuster will make it float around.

The thing with the dial setup is to calibrate them before use. To do this youll need a few 3 way vacuum tees. Set two lines each to two tees and then the last tee is used to hook up the two "sets" of line that go to the gauges to a vac port on one of the outer intakes. Start the bike and use the screw adjusters on the face of the gauges to set them all reading the same. This ensures that when your doing the actual sync youre getting reliable vacuum reading across the board.
                              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Yeah stay away from the liquid filled deals. Sucking the liquid out is a common bad problem folks have. The Morgan Carbtune has solid rods.
                                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                                X