Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carb sync tools - what's better, the cheap gauge model or Motion Pro fluid type?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wish I had read this last week! Just got my MotionPro from Z1 on Friday. Now I'm considering returning it and ordering the Carbtune.

While I don't plan on tuning carbs often, I don't like the idea of sucking the liquid into the motor. Of course, it just burns off, but I'll eventually have to replace the liquid after several uses. I like the maintenance free aspect of the Carbtune.
    Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
    2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Yup....I would see if they will do an exchange before you even take it out of the box. Ive read a ton of posts where folks have revved the bike and sucked it dry in seconds..and then its too late.

I should add that mine is the Carbtune Pro...may be a little difference in price.
      Last edited by chuck hahn; 07-07-2015, 03:49 PM.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Know that you'll also sync the carbs after every valve adjustment; plus I tend to check mine at the beginning of the year.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
          Know that you'll also sync the carbs after every valve adjustment; plus I tend to check mine at the beginning of the year.
          Sold on the Carbtune!
          Jordan

2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
          1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

The Emgo carb sync is currently available from Z1 for $65. In my 4 months of watching them, they had been backordered.

I've seen a youtube vid of them in use and they seem well behaved. I'm tempted to get a set, though I have a carbtune I haven't even tried yet.
            Jordan

2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
            1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Originally posted by bentbiker View Post
              ... I finaly read the instructions and it stated not to operate over 1500RPM, which is not adequate.
              Can you please explain to all us noobs why 1500 RPM is not adequate?

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by hannibal View Post
                The Emgo carb sync is currently available from Z1 for $65. In my 4 months of watching them, they had been backordered.

I've seen a youtube vid of them in use and they seem well behaved. I'm tempted to get a set, though I have a carbtune I haven't even tried yet.
                I've come to the conclusion that just about anything EMGO sells is pretty much low end and junk. Go with the Morgan carbtune.
                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Can you please explain to all us noobs why 1500 RPM is not adequate?

Yeah, curious about that too. You are setting your carbs at idle that's where they are synic at. Anything above that overrides the idle circuit.
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                    I've come to the conclusion that just about anything EMGO sells is pretty much low end and junk. Go with the Morgan carbtune.
                    Thanks for the reply. I had a moment of "they're hard to find so I better buy them now".
                    Jordan

2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                    1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Bought a unit from E-bay a few months ago.
                      It is one vacuum gauge hooked up to a manifold.
                      The manifold has been drilled and tapped to accept needle valves.
                      You open each valve with the corresponding dial on top.
                      Therefore you never need to sync the gauges as you are using the same gauge for each carb.

I was going to buy the carbtune pro when one of these came up for auction.
                      Mine is the same except for the mounting position and my numbers are read while side-ways from the one pictured.
                      It is meant to be permanently mounted on your bike.

I paid around $25. for mine in the same if not better condition then this one.
                      The one pictured below was up for auction for a unremembered by me ridiculous price.

[IMG][/IMG]

To me it looks like something that could be duplicated at home if somebody was to put their mind to it.
                      Not necessarily with the same materials.
                      Simple inline valves for each hose.
                      Possibly a section of PVC pipe capped as your manifold.

Comment

Originally posted by Crankthat View Post
                        Bought a unit from E-bay a few months ago.
                        It is one vacuum gauge hooked up to a manifold.
                        The manifold has been drilled and tapped to accept needle valves.
                        You open each valve with the corresponding dial on top.
                        Therefore you never need to sync the gauges as you are using the same gauge for each carb.

I was going to buy the carbtune pro when one of these came up for auction.
                        Mine is the same except for the mounting position and my numbers are read while side-ways from the one pictured.
                        It is meant to be permanently mounted on your bike.

I paid around $25. for mine in the same if not better condition then this one.
                        The one pictured below was up for auction for a unremembered by me ridiculous price.

[IMG][/IMG]

To me it looks like something that could be duplicated at home if somebody was to put their mind to it.
                        Not necessarily with the same materials.
                        Simple inline valves for each hose.
                        Possibly a section of PVC pipe capped as your manifold.
                        There cannot possibly be a good reason to try and duplicate this design. You would be better off using a differential pressure gauge to compare two port pressures at a time.

I would create a manifold for 3 ports (use vacuum "T"s and JB weld to create a bleeder; drill to about 1/16") to serve as a reference and then the 4th would be the one to be adjusted. You adjust the 4th till it is in line with the average of the others, keep going around till you are done.

The best is to see all 4 at once and adjust one at a time to be in line with the rest, but that costs and extra $40.

FYI, I posted this to help satiate the miserly tendencies of the populous.

Last edited by posplayr; 09-07-2015, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Do you have a make & part number for that adjusting screw driver ?

Comment

Originally posted by Katarat View Post
                            Do you have a make & part number for that adjusting screw driver ?
                            Here's one from Z1

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.
                            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

And here is one on Amazon Motion Pro PN 57-8022 $23

----------------------------------------------------------------
                              2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Thank you !

Comment

Working...
                                X